Winter riding tips, advice, warnings? Post 'em up!

JackFlash

I see flowers poking their noses out of the soil in the front yard. Is spring sneaking up on us? I look out the window. What? It's snowing!

With over a month of winter still ahead of us, and the arctic-like weather we are often plagued by in early spring, the temptation to get out and ride can be overwhelming at the slightest hint of sunshine.

In the event we succumb to mother nature's deceptive tactics and find ourselves on two wheels, in a snowstorm the weather man drops on us without warning, any thought of being a nice day for a ride quickly will fade from my mind.

How could we be better prepared? Can a ride in the snow be something to look forward to? Could we find this enjoyable with tires meant for a bike on snowy roads? What other items should we think about?

I found a little advice on the internet in the following link, but if you can share things you've learned with some of us new guys, maybe we can stretch our riding season to a degree that makes a winter in Ohio more bearable.

http://www.mc-addict.com/aguidetowinterriding.htm

I've ridden year around here in NE Ohio since I started riding 28 years ago. I only ride when streets are free of ice and snow but I've splashed thru a zillion gallons of salt water. Use to go out for a short ride in temps down to 20F but don't use any electric gear so it's only about 5 miles or so at that temp. Haven't gone out in temps below freezing the past couple years though, a concession to advancing age.

Only times I've ridden in falling snow was on the way home and I don't generally go out if snow is in the forcast but there are many, many winter days here in northern Ohio you can get a ride in. Just get the bike out and go but be careful. The colder it gets out there the more your reaction times slow down so adjust for it.

I got out 3 times last month before the heavier snows came and will be out again in the next day or two. Typically I've averaged only about 1000 miles for Dec, Jan, Feb combined and I've averaged 15k miles a year for the 28 years I've ridden. But any ride is better than no ride to get you thru the winter. :)

When the temps are near or below freezing, there is white stuff on the ground, the roads are wet "or dry" with salt residue, and the roads are littered with grit.....my bikes will stay in the garage hooked up to the battery tender. Now get above freezing with clear and dry roads, and I will for sure ride.

Matt (pictured ) and I did 200 miles last Sunday. I have a heated jacket liner and heated grips. Matt doesn't have any heated gear. The heated jacket makes riding in the cold much better. I broke my leg in August and missed most of the fall riding so I bought the jacket so I could ride when it was cold out before I had to go back to work.

No dust and no bugs last Sunday. A little grit on the slab is not a problem after riding on snow/ice covered road. The WR250R is a great winter bike and makes winter go by so much faster being able to get out and ride.

IMG_20130210_153931_454_zpsb141d7b4.jpg

IMG_20130210_154453_232_zps78684961.jpg

IMG_20130210_163654_160_zpsad412ea2.jpg

One from a few years ago on the KLR250

IMG_1211.jpg

Edited by alansz400

I wouldn't be bothered by the temps so much since I grew up skiing and snowboarding in sub zero temps, but I worry about sliding on ice. I'd feel eternally stupid if I dumped my bike because I had to get out and ride.

About 70% of my riding is commuting to and from work and I ride regularly from April till early November, provided it's above 35deg. Any colder I worry about ice patches. I don't start riding untill it's at least 40 in the spring due to the ground being much colder than in the fall. But I'm getting laid off (hopefully) by the end of April so I'll be doing lots of riding in the mountains out west. I've read many stories about riding over mountain passes and getting caught in snow, so what do you do when things get slippery?

The last ride I took was here >>> http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=101907

I'm still new at riding and I'm still acquiring gear for riding under unpleasant and unfavorable conditions. I'm wishing to learn what to, and what not to spend money on when trying to stay warm and dry, and right side up in nasty and slippery weather.

Question: I've often heard the mention of salt still being on the road as a reason not to ride. Is it that salt residue makes the road slippery or is it that it will eat the metal on your bike or both?

Edited by JackFlash

What determines when you will not ride? Is it the temperature? Is it the cold?

And what determines when you begin riding again?

There is no set temperature for me, it is exactly at the point where if I'm too uncomfortable due to weather conditions (hot, cold, rain, whatever) I'm not riding. Riding is a hobby for me and when it becomes not fun to me it completely nullifies my reason to ride.

What determines when I begin is the reason above combined with salt free roads