What are my options *Rant*

Chrome

If you drive uninsured you are automatically at fault in an accident.

Absolutely 100% wrong.

Nothing about the driver makes him *automatically* at fault. It is the specifics of the accident that determine fault.

I had someone tell me that a drunk driver it automatically at fault. I asked what would happen if I rear-ended a drunk driver whose was waiting at a red light - whose fault is it?

Someone else told me that driving with a cast, sling or other injury/first aid configuration would automatically make me at fault (I was driving an automatic with my left foot in an air cast) I asked the same question - if I get rear-ended waiting at a red light then is the accident my fault? No, the accident is only my fault if I make some maneuver that is illegal and I cause the collision. The cast/sling may be ruled as a factor, but if that cast or sling had no bearing on the accident, then it's irrelevant.

Insurance, license, whether the car is stolen, taxed/registered etc are all between the driver and the BMV. None of those things make you automatically at fault for any accident.

Edited by Scruit

Absolutely 100% wrong.

Nothing about the driver makes him *automatically* at fault. It is the specifics of the accident that determine fault.

I had someone tell me that a drunk driver it automatically at fault. I asked what would happen if I rear-ended a drunk driver whose was waiting at a red light - whose fault is it?

Someone else told me that driving with a cast, sling or other injury/first aid configuration would automatically make me at fault (I was driving an automatic with my left foot in an air cast) I asked the same question - if I get rear-ended waiting at a red light then is the accident my fault? No, the accident is only my fault if I make some maneuver that is illegal and I cause the collision. The cast/sling may be ruled as a factor, but if that cast or sling had no bearing on the accident, then it's irrelevant.

Accident was not in Ohio. Laws vary by state.

Insurance, license, whether the car is stolen, taxed/registered etc are all between the driver and the BMV. None of those things make you automatically at fault for any accident.

Had a family member rear end a car. Family member should have been at fault. The car they hit was uninsured. The uninsured was cited and found at fault.

Edited by crb

Had a family member rear end a car. Family member should have been at fault. The car they hit was uninsured. The uninsured was cited and found at fault.

I don't believe that for a second. Cited for no insurance, sure, but not found at fault only due to insurance.

Let me pull the accident report. Need a date, county and major road name.

When I get back to my computer I'll pull some local reports from uninsured drivers and show you that fault is always determined by driving action, not paperwork compliance.

• Downvote 1

I don't believe that for a second. Cited for no insurance, sure, but not found at fault only due to insurance.

Let me pull the accident report. Need a date, county and major road name.

When I get back to my computer I'll pull some local reports from uninsured drivers and show you that fault is always determined by driving action, not paperwork compliance.

Do you have video of you not believing it for a second?

Wonder how it would play out in court since an uninsured vehicle shouldn't be on the road? When it comes to trucks they have been found at fault simply because of paperwork compliance. Fudge your logbook get in an accident and you loose in court because you shouldn't have been there. Same thing right? Just paperwork. ....

I don't have the city, state, cross street, etc its been 12+ yrs and wasn't my accident.

You look up reports I'm gonna go back to my game and unsubscribe. Oh and please post the ORC that supports your view. :stirpot:

It should be the uninsured drivers fault automatically, they should not be on the road to get in a collision with ! If they are determined at fault more than likely your not getting anything for damages and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. but if you hit them as an insured driver they will collect. thats bullshit. someone should sue the state of ohio when they get in an accident with an uninsured driver. The state is not doing their due dilegence keeping uninsured drivers off the road. In South Carolina you have to show proof of insurance when you register your vehicle each year and if your insurance ever lapses the the insurance company notifies the state and they cancel your registration. (sorry, no spell check on this app).

In the UK insurance companies have to report license# and list of insured drivers* to the PNC (Police National Computer). Same with annual safety check (MOT) and road tax (just like renewing tags). When you drive past a police car equipped with ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) or a roadside camera with ANPR then your details are checked against PNC and any problems will alert the police to pull you over. Non-insured or non-licensed drivers have their cars impounded, and crushed 14 days later unless they can correct the deficiencies in that time.

That system works very well to keep unlicensed and uninsured drivers off the road, but Americans will never accept that level of government monitoring.

* Unlike Ohio and other states, which typically insure your car for anyone to driver, and you can drive anyone's car, the UK insurance companies insure one car one driver, and if you want anyone else to drive your car you have to specifically name them in advance. If you want to drive anyone else's car then you have to be named on their policy. You can opt for any driver/any car, but it is very unusual and expensive. Most policies give exceptions for non-named family members to drive you home in an emergency.

Edited by Scruit