Pricing Question / FS - 2012 Ninja 250

abdecal

I put my bike up for sale because I will be upgrading to 600 soon.

It's a 2012 Ninja 250r Candy Lime Green

1900 miles

Absolutely immaculate. No scratches, runs perfectly

I put it up for $3500 including helmet.

I have someone in Columbus that says the highest he can go is $3k

I'm in no rush to sell.

Is $3500 a good price point for this?

ninja.jpg

photo12-1.jpg

Pretty bike! NADA lists your bike at Low/High Retail of $3160/$4155. KBB lists your bike at Trade In/Retail of $2810/$4095.

At $3Gs, he's getting a killer deal with those low miles on a super clean bike. On the other hand, if you're hot to sell and buy your upgrade and he's got cash in hand, you're the one who has to decide if you're in that much of a hurry. If you don't have your replacement bike already spec'd, I'd say leave it on the market for awhile and see what the spring season brings.

The downside of doing this is that small bikes are definitely a depreciable market item, and if you hold on too long, the price is gonna keep going down. If it was me--I'm assuming you're not selling this to a "friend" who'd be gettin' a great deal--I'd settle for splitting the difference and counter at $3300-3400 or thereabouts. Your call.

Oh, and keep your helmet.

Edited by Bubba
  • Upvote 1

You will get more money in the spring for sure but you have some pros and cons.

The bike is a niche market bike so fewer interested parties.

However, there are also fewer bikes like yours available.

If you are not in a hurry, I'd wait it out.

Mary

My first bike was a 2009 Ninja that I bought in 2010. It had 3,000 miles on it, like-new condition, and I bought it in early April right before the riding season for $2950 which was a great buy. I sold it 2 years later for $2750 with 10,000 miles and some light scratches

The key to it is when you sell and how much you need the money now (maybe you have a sick deal on a 600 lined up?). When I first listed mine, it was still cold out and it barely got any interest. I was beginning to think that I'd be lucky to get $2500 out of it but held on. 3 weeks later on the first nice weather weekend of the year I had 10 people ask about it and it was sold within a few days for $2750.

You will have no problem whatsoever getting $3k in the Spring, and $3300-$3500 is more likely. Bike prices fluctuate probably 10-20% depending on the time of year, and especially on a Ninja 250, which is a popular bike to learn on and always has interested buyers every time a new season starts.

What this also means though, is that you'll be spending more on a 600 if you wait to buy it in the Spring compared to deals you can find right now. If you can afford having both bikes for a couple of months, I'd buy the 600 and sell the Ninja 250 in April/May. If not, consider selling it now for a few hundred less if you find a good deal on what you're looking for.

I put my bike up for sale because I will be upgrading to 600 soon.

It's a 2012 Ninja 250r Candy Lime Green

1900 miles

Absolutely immaculate. No scratches, runs perfectly

I put it up for $3500 including helmet.

I have someone in Columbus that says the highest he can go is $3k

I'm in no rush to sell.

Is $3500 a good price point for this?

ninja.jpg

photo12-1.jpg

Just realized you sold it lol, you may have gotten less than Spring but you'll get a good deal on a 600 while there's snow on the ground.

Tigerpaw, I agree, there's a good market for Ninja 250s, especially early in the season. They are the perfect bike to start on and don't really have any competition in the class.

$3,500 is a good price for such low miles.

I don't agree with the above posts about the 250r being in a niche group and depreciating more than other bikes. Someone is ALWAYS looking for a "small" clean/stock bike in the spring.

Edited by ynot

• 2 weeks later...

I realize you sold it, but just to offer my thoughts:

The Ninja 250 is now eclipsed by the Ninja 300, so IMO the value of the 250 is going down since it's no longer even a current model. Additionally, it's an inexpensive bike to start with (new like $4000 +/-). Also, factor in the 250 has essentially been unchanged, save for a body tweak in the last couple of years, for 20 years before that - and you can buy late 90s Ninja 250s for $1000. That would also tend to devalue your 2009 Ninja; if the same bike minus a more modern fairing can be had for a grand, why spend 3.5 times that much for new plastics? Personally, I don't think even a newer Ninja 250 is worth more than $2500 in good shape. If you got more than that I'd say you did well.

I wouldn't limit the new bike search to 600's. If you're going to street ride it, there are more reasonable choices out there.

The FZ6 is a good 600cc street bike, but I wouldn't want to live with a supersport anywhere but the track. Take a hard look at what kind of riding you're really going to be doing before buying a race replica.