Daughter's 1st B-day party ideas?

Tigerpaw

Where should I have my first child's 1st birthday party. Our house is small. Other kids attending would be all different ages.

We are talking May 4th for the party so any outdoor ideas need a backup plan for weather.

Edited by Tigerpaw

The party is for friends & family to celebrate the fact, the wife and I didn't screw her up too bad for a whole year(JOKE). Nothing wrong with getting together and having fun with people you like.

We are in Dayton. May just do a barbecue at Eastwood MetroPark.

Edited by Tigerpaw
  • Upvote 1

The party is for friends & family to celebrate the fact, the wife and I didn't screw her up too bad for a whole year.

See. That's who it's really about. If your wife or you have a serious need for approval from all those friends and family, then go for the huge over the top kids first birthday parties. I've been to my fair share of them and feel sorry for the kids in the long run.

May just do a barbecue at Eastwood MetroPark.

Now that sounds reasonable. Not what I was expecting when you want to start planning it three months ahead of time.

Our kids parties are usually more like "ah crap, your birthday is next week, what do you want to do" type of get togethers.

Now that sounds reasonable. Not what I was expecting when you want to start planning it three months ahead of time.

Our kids parties are usually more like "ah crap, your birthday is next week, what do you want to do" type of get togethers.

Being a military family separated from most of our loved ones, we have to plan ahead.

Not a church member. I'll check into local parks some more.

Think outside the normal places. The DOE converted the old uranium processing plant property here locally in to one of the nicest preserves around. They also added a full museum about the history of the place. Inside the building is a community use area, free for anyone to use. It's big enough for the scouts to use it for the soap box derby and other events at, so plenty of room for whatever. It has a full kitchen, facilities, and you can set it up however you want with their tables and chairs. Almost no one knows about it, heck, most don't know it's an open to the public preserve, and I've never heard of anyone not being able to book it when they want. I'm sure there's more places like it out there.

She's never going to remember it. Be honest, who's the party really for?

:lol: We felt the same way for our twins. Their 3rd was their first party. They run around talk way too much and have a blast. Any younger it's just an adult party honestly.

I know exactly the park you talking about. I'm just over 35.

Edited by NinjaNick

Marion's pizza is free and most people like thier food. They also have entered the 21 century and accept card.

Our daughter goes to gymnastics at Busy Kids on Wilmington. It's a nice place and they do parties there. Maybe not so fun for a one year old but definitely fun for 2-12 year olds.

I tried to negate both my girls first birthday parties and didn't succeed, and I'm glad I didn't in retrospect. It's more for your memories than theirs. It is a great reason to come together and celebrate, just remember its really the only one for you. The rest really are for them.

• Upvote 1

Get a tiny cake - Make sure the video is rolling, put a bib on her, and watch her plant her face straight into it, dig her paws into it, and generally make a helluva mess.

Get a regular cake for everyone else to enjoy.

• Upvote 2

chuck e cheese. i think i have more fun there then my kids do.

My cousin had his like 5th birthday party (or some age around there) there and he was afraid, almost crying, every time that mouse made his rounds to the tables. Made me laugh hysterically. :D

I would say that barbecue idea is good. Definitely not too over-the-top.

I agree that too many parents make too big of a deal out of their kids' VERY young birthdays, but for some families that rarely see each other it is definitely a good reason to get together and catch up. Especially good for a military family, as you said.

Disclaimer: I'm almost 35, engaged, neither of us have kids and don't want any. We love kids, just like to give them back after a few days.

I read through all the responses just to make sure that nobody had made the same suggestion, just in case....and none of you sad sons-a-bitches did....:facepalm:

FUCKING HOOKERS AND FUCKING BLOW.

Disclaimer: I'm almost 35, engaged, neither of us have kids and don't want any. We love kids, just like to give them back after a few days.

I read through all the responses just to make sure that nobody had made the same suggestion, just in case....and none of you sad sons-a-bitches did....:facepalm:

FUCKING HOOKERS AND FUCKING BLOW.

Oh Sam, Sam, Sam :nono:...:D

The fun part of a first birthday party is the kid having their own cake, as mentioned above. The rest is an adult get-together, and having the kid sit on mom or dad's lap while they open the presents for the kid. BTDT. The second birthday is when they start getting an idea of what to do, but still much the same. By the third birthday, it's game on.

I enjoy the birthday parties as a chance to have a get-together, and make the kid the center of the day. They need that once in a while, especially since we have 4 of them! :lol:

If you were in central Ohio, I have a hookup for bounce houses! 3 of our kids have birthday's in the warmer months, and we get a bounce house for at least one of them. We've always just had the parties here, but have friends that have done everything from McDonald's, bowling alley, churches, parks, pretty much any activity that kids like, birthday parties have been done there.

Agree with most here. We had two of those first BDay parties and most of the party is a celebration for the parents of making it through the first year and seeing friends that you have not had a chance to be with.

No need to over think it or go to a great expense. Cake for the kid and beer for the rest. Close friends and family, no one cares about the space.