I'm officially... A NON motorcycle owner...

Dubguy85

Originally Posted by Timin8Tr viewpost.gif

Boat FTW!

Hot-Boat-Girls.jpg

LOL.. I'm sure mine will look much different! moms, car seats, diapers... But whatever! I can dream

You never know...... she might let you have at Least 1 guy weekend??? Head to Put In Bay, and your boat might just look like this!

I hope it is what you say it is.

I love boats and the water. However, 90% of the boats I know, that aren't kept at or very close to water, never make it in the water more than once or twice per year, after the first year or two of ownership.

Everyone has their own priorities and you can spend your money as you like and take risks with your family, but NO WAY would I take a baby out on a boat on a regular basis. Too many drunk idiots on most lakes and rivers and the threat of drowning is a very real possibility.

Lakes always seem crowded in OH and the boat ramp bull shit is a big pain in the ass. If you don't do it perfectly everyone will show you their fangs.

Boating is awesome but a lot of money and time are spent not actually boating.

Having to haul that thing to the water is a chore. It's like having a track only bike. Lot's of prep work just to get everything together and to a location to ride it.

To each his own, but I agree with everything in turnone's post above except the "boating is awesome" part. My father bought a boat and was the living embodiment of the saying misquoted earlier: The two happiest days of a boat owner's life are the day he buys his boat and the day he sells it. Putting around the same lake gets old after a few times, or in my father's case, putting up and down the same ol' stretch of the Ohio River. Beside, you can't get a knee down on a boat. But I hope the OP is the first first exception to the rule, loves his boat, doesn't blow a fortune on a big-ass gas-guzzling truck to haul it and an expensive place to store it over the winter and uses his boat happily every weekend. If not, we'll see him back in a couple of years, talking about buying a bike after the second happiest day of his boat-owning life.

• Upvote 1

Boats are like swimming pools. Great idea on paper - doesn't always work out that way in real life.

This house had an above-ground pool when we moved in. It took me a season to get the hang of the chemicals, way too many shock cycles etc. Then we found that the water temp is usually about a week or so behind ambient temp, so that one warm day in a cold week = no swimming, water too cold.

Then I found out that the thing can algae over in a day if the chlorine gets too low. Then it's several days of shocking and letting the chlorine and ph levels come back to normal.

We averaged 3 or 4 swims a year - and in that time we had to replace the pump, the sand filter and spent hundreds on chemicals, testing supplies and pool toys we never used. The the liner started to leak up just below the skimmer level so we were constantly filling it up to stop the skimmer gurgling and the pump making noise. That became a weekly chore.

Finally I tool an arrow, drilled a hole just behind the tip, and one about 2" back from the tip (hollow aluminum arrow) and went out the to pool and shot the arrow into the floor of the liner. Took 2 weeks for the water to empty out. Then I scrapped the aluminum (got $600 for it!) and used the money to install a play yard for my son where the pool used to be.

I see a boat as being about the same. Great in concept, shitty in practice.

Boats are like swimming pools. Great idea on paper - doesn't always work out that way in real life.

This house had an above-ground pool when we moved in. It took me a season to get the hang of the chemicals, way too many shock cycles etc. Then we found that the water temp is usually about a week or so behind ambient temp, so that one warm day in a cold week = no swimming, water too cold.

Then I found out that the thing can algae over in a day if the chlorine gets too low. Then it's several days of shocking and letting the chlorine and ph levels come back to normal.

Our last home had a pool. After two years of doing what you describe and spending tons of $$ on chems, I converted the pool to saltwater. All the issues went away and my annual chemical bill was $20 for 3 bags of salt. Added bonus, kids and wife loved the water and how it made their hair and skin feel. Heater kept the temps pretty constant.

Good boat story: My neighbor has a house on a lake in MI and his boat is moored on his personal dock. The lake is several miles long and he goes water-skiing, tubing and fishing. He's out on it a few times per week. Never had a bad word to say about his boat. Loves it.

Bad boat story: My old boss paid $1600 for a boat at the end of the season. Used it a couple times then winterized it. Next season we de-winterized it and we found the outdrive was on its way out. He insisted on taking it out for a shakedown and it ran ok. Next day it broke down while he had his family on it. The top end of the motor had to be rebuilt. Motor had to be pulled.

Season was over by the time he got it all ironed out. During the off-season he paid $2500 to have it painted. The only guy who would paint it wanted cash up front. The pain has runs, sags, debris, mark from where the air hose was draped into wet paitn etc. He demanded some kind of recourse (partial refund or repaint) and the guy told him "You paid cash, right? Fuck off."

Next season they went out a couple times but is kids soon got bored so he only went out alone in it, which meant hardly ever.

He has the brass balls to offer to sell me the boat for $6400. I told him to sod off. (He bought it for 1600, put 2500 for a bad paint job, $~500 for the engine work and it still had a bad outdrive that sounded like a broke gearbox)

He listed it on ebay for $6400. Nobody bought it. Eventually he put a for sale sign on it and parked it in the parking lot of a nearby business. Someone cut open the cover and tried to hotwire it. Didn't succeed, but fucked up the ignition wiring while doing it. He found out the prior owner had redone all the ignition wiring on the cheap and used all the same color wires! Took him weeks to get it sorted so he could start and run it using a generic ignition from autozone.

He eventually sold it fro $1600.

He figured out it cost him $500 per day out in the boat - and he was using on on lake dillon which is only about a mile long anyway...

Day he bought it, day he sold it. Exactly.

I would have a boat if I lived on a lake with my own private dock. Otherwise it's a hassle to get it in and out the water every time, or paying dock fees to store it in the water.

The only sentiment i agree with is the trailering to the lake and dealing w boat ramps. That would get very old very quick. My family an myself have owned boats my entire life but we've always had it in a dock at Lake Erie so we use it often

You can't buy a $1,600 dollar boat and expect it to run like a new one off the showroom floor. I have owned my boat for years and jet skis before that, I am here to tell you I love my boat. When its 95 degrees and you guys are sweating your asses off i am out on my boat with a cold beer. Worth the money for upkeep to me.

You can't buy a $1,600 dollar boat and expect it to run like a new one off the showroom floor. I have owned my boat for years and jet skis before that, I am here to tell you I love my boat. When its 95 degrees and you guys are sweating your asses off i am out on my boat with a cold beer. Worth the money for upkeep to me.

Uh wait, you have a boat? How did this never come up in convo? Dude, this summer, I need to make a man weekend trip with you and Max, etc. 4 wheelers(Been about 10 yaers since I've rode), and some then some boating with the wife. She likes water and boats, and we usually go to MI for a weekend trip with the family to their lake houses, but this year it's too close to baby time.

Naturally, I'll pay whatever I have to for both, fuel, lodging, BJs, whatever.

Exactly!!! I'd venture to bet that most of your Average Joe Brokedick who wants a boat buys a cheap POS and they pay for it in the long run. Our current boat is a late 80s that we've had for almost 15 years with very little problems. Our Sea Ray before that had zero problems and the well craft before that only a few minor things

You definitely get what you pay for in Boats

Uh wait, you have a boat? How did this never come up in convo? Dude, this summer, I need to make a man weekend trip with you and Max, etc. 4 wheelers(Been about 10 yaers since I've rode), and some then some boating with the wife. She likes water and boats, and we usually go to MI for a weekend trip with the family to their lake houses, but this year it's too close to baby time.

Naturally, I'll pay whatever I have to for both, fuel, lodging, BJs, whatever.

Yup, have an 18' Maxum open bow ski boat. We will definitely get you and the old lady out this summer, getting ready to de winterize her soon. This time of year is great for going out on Friday or saturday nights. We usually head over to the Port for some of the best ribs in Ohio then when done with dinner we spend the rest of the night drinking beer and cat fishing. Come hot summer time we will get some bubby's out for some tubing and stuff too.

Also we will definitely get you on a quad this summer, Max and I are heading down tomorrow to secure a spot for the whole year.

You'll be back, much sooner than later. Riding is the one thing that I do for me and that I enjoy for me, the Wife and Son know that and understand that 110%. I still spend much more time with them then anything else, so my riding does not affect them negatively at all. The only way to truly enjoy a boat IMHO, is not having to access a ramp each and everytime you want to go out. Lower down into the water, or pull out of the storage dock and headout!

Edited by Pokey