Track or no?

330racing

The previous owner of my 14 tracked it a few times when his trackbike was down. Stock suspension and street tires. They're capable enough to have fun at Novice or Intermediate levels. It may be slower in the corners, but you make it right back up on the straights. I plan to take in a day at MO on it someday myself.

DO IT! chances are you'll love it. I did my first track day after 12 years of street riding. I was in a similar situation as you since I was riding a VFR, under powered and overweight compared to the other bikes in novice. I loved and did a couple more dates on the VFR. I broke down and bought a track bike not because I could not hang in novice with the VFR but because Plastic is too expensive on the Viffer if something goes wrong. You'll be fine on the 14. Just "ride your ride". Did I say do it?

DO IT! :D

I would do it as a novice but not once you make it into intermediate. You are controlled more in novice and probably won't get to the point of touching hard parts. You can make up deficient of the bikes handling on the straights in novice but once you have 600s passing you on the straights in intermediate you will be humbled. At any point along your learning curve riding a road racing track you will be faster around the course riding a 600.

Your bike is a fantastic street bike and you will be doing yourself a favor taking it to the track. You will learn so much about riding you will question yourself about why you waited so long. You will be a much better, safer and confident rider once you are done.

I did three track days on a 2005 Busa after riding for 25 years. I thought I knew how to ride before my first track day but I was so wrong I couldn't believe it. I did two novice track days on it and wrecked touching hard parts on my first intermediate track day. Not saying you have to follow my mistakes but things change once you have less control placed over you outside of novice. The popular notion is that these big bikes make up the ground in the straights but it's simply not true at least coming from my actual on track experience. The straights at tracks aren't long enough to realize the straight line superiority of the big bikes. Starting with a rolling run, being able to hit first along with limited distance and the superior braking capabilities of the smaller bikes makes it hard to keep up with them.

So how bad would it be for someone with modest experience to take a Vstrom 650 to a track day?

Would I have to remove the crash bars?

Would my adv tires be too limiting?

Crazy idea any ways. I don't even have a track worthy suit.

Craig

15 years of riding I've never been on a track. Thinking of doing a novice day at mid-ohio but not sure if I should bother with my tank of a bike. Any input??

I've seen a few ZX-14's and Busa's out there. Both are surprising capable at cornering and, of course, bilsteringly fast down the back straight. Bring it, you won't regret it (unless you bin it).

So how bad would it be for someone with modest experience to take a Vstrom 650 to a track day?

Would I have to remove the crash bars?

Would my adv tires be too limiting?

Crazy idea any ways. I don't even have a track worthy suit. Craig

I've seen V-stroms out there too. They are not too different than someone riding a Motard. You may have to remove the crash bars and go with different tires depending on how much they affect your ground clearance and what class you go in. As far as suits go, Mid Ohio will allow textile suits in Novice and they used to rent leathers, not sure if that's true any more. If you have a leather jacket that has a waste line zipper, you can get leather pants with the same setup and that will work as well. I did the two piece for years before I got my AGV suit.

Come out and play!

Edited by lobsta954

Well crash bars dont affect clearance.

2013-03-23%2017.05.47-L.jpg

Would definitely "novice" or "beginner" or whatever is first time on a track :D

I would want a more appropriate bike if doing anything more serious.

My suit does not qualify as is because the zip together is only about 8" in theH back. I guess I could consider a rental if I could find my size (6'2" 200).

Hmm may have to think about this a little harder. I know I could always stand to improve my riding and practicing on a track is sure to be safer than hitting curvy roads in southern ohio. :)

Craig

Well crash bars dont affect clearance.

Would definitely "novice" or "beginner" or whatever is first time on a track :D

I would want a more appropriate bike if doing anything more serious.

My suit does not qualify as is because the zip together is only about 8" in theH back. I guess I could consider a rental if I could find my size (6'2" 200).

Hmm may have to think about this a little harder. I know I could always stand to improve my riding and practicing on a track is sure to be safer than hitting curvy roads in southern ohio. :)

Craig

You gear would probably be fine for the Novice group. You would probably want to take the case off the back, though I have seen guys ride with them in novice.

The track is definitely he place to hone you skills.

These are the requirements for bikes and riders from the Mid Ohio site. http://www.midohio.com/School/Courses/Motorcycles/Performance-Track-Riding

Bike Preparation

• All bikes MUST pass technical inspection prior to being permitted on to the track. It is the sole responsibility of the rider to ensure their bike meets these requirements. If a bike fails tech inspection, it may be presented for re-inspection at any time. If a bike is involved in a crash it must be re-inspected prior to being permitted on to the track. No refunds will be made for bikes, which fail to pass tech inspection.
  • All bikes must be prepared to endure high speeds on track. All parts must be fastened securely and adjusted correctly.
  • All fuel, coolant, hydraulic and lubrication systems must be fluid tight (see below for additional information for Advanced and Intermediate bikes).
  • Tires must be in good condition, without signs of excessive wear. Tire valves must have caps. Wheel weights must be taped.
  • Brakes must be in good working order with a minimum of 1.5mm of pad remaining. Discs must not be excessively worn or loose.
  • All bikes must have a functioning, well-marked engine cut-off switch on the handlebar near the right hand grip.
  • Throttles must operate smoothly and be self-closing.
  • Any glass or plastic lenses must be taped completely. Mirrors and turn indicators are permitted in the NOVICE GROUP ONLY. All others must be removed.
  • Center stands are NOT permitted in the ADVANCED and INTERMEDIATE GROUPS and we recommend removing them for the NOVICE GROUP.
  • ADVANCED and INTERMEDIATE GROUP machines must use a non-ethylene glycol coolant. Water and/or water wetter, or propylene glycol solutions such as Evans, Engine Ice, Liquid Performance, or 7th gear, are permitted.
  • ADVANCED and INTERMEDIATE GROUP machines must have oil drain plugs, oil filler caps, and oil filters secured. We recommend safety wire, but will accept application of RTV silicone to the fitting.
  • It is recommended that any filler/drain for any fluid system be secured. Fluid leaks on the track shorten everyone’s day.
  • License plates must have bolts taped or be removed.

Rider Gear Requirements

• All riders must be at least 18 years of age and have a valid driver's license.
  • All riders must wear a damage-free full-face helmet with a properly fitted face shield. DOT certification is a minimum requirement; SNELL, ECE, or other enhanced certification is recommended. Modular (flip-up) helmets are permitted in NOVICE GROUP only.
  • All riders must wear full-finger gauntlet style gloves.
  • All riders must wear sturdy over the ankle boots.
  • All riders must wear one or two-piece suits with substantial reinforcement and padding in critical areas (knees, elbows, shoulders at a minimum.)
  • ADVANCED and INTERMEDIATE GROUP riders must wear one or two piece leather suits designed for motorcycle use. Two-piece leathers must provide substantial attachment between jacket and pants.
  • NOVICE GROUP riders must wear one or two piece leather or textile suites. It is recommended that two-piece suits provide attachment between jacket and pants.
  • ADVANCED and INTERMEDIATE GROUP riders MUST wear a back protector designed for motorcycle competition in lieu of, or in addition to, the standard back padding in their suit.

Edited by lobsta954

Nothing wrong with a 14 on track. Just have some restraint on the back straight!

Not only is the surface a bit "green" exiting the keyhole, but a 14 will be MOVING by the end of that back section. Gravel traps are bad, mmmkay?

Brake at the first marker until you get a handle on it. Maybe even stay in 4th gear...

The topcase would definitively come off :D

Motoseries seem to have a little tighter requirements for rider gear as full zip is required on leather 2 piece or full textile suit.

Nelson is pretty close so that is probably where I would go. The trunk would be good for getting my gear there but it is easily removed.

Damn, I'm going to have to do this. :wtf:

1) Need leather suit (wouldn't mind one any ways)

2) Free Saturday

3) Sign up :eek:

Doubt I'd have nearly as much of a problem with too much speed on the straight. A DL650 is not exactly a power house :D

Craig

what size are you? somebody here might have a suit you can borrow. i personally have 2 extra suits (1pc and 2pc) that would fit a 42US/52euro that anyone could borrow provided they understand that "crash it, you bought it" is in effect. now, if you were going to buy a suit already, then doooooooo it. they're so very handy.

First, it is a track day and not a race.

Just about any modern motorcycle will be more than adequate for taking out on the track. The goal of Novice is to make you a better and safer rider no matter what you ride.

Mid-Ohio is a great track but you may want to consider your first track day at Putnam Park. Sportbike Tracktime runs a good program and the track is a bit easier to learn on. STT also has a special intro program to help initiate riders into the sport.

Enjoy, and I highly recommend at a Novice day for anyone that rides.

Nothing wrong with a 14 on track. Just have some restraint on the back straight!

Not only is the surface a bit "green" exiting the keyhole, but a 14 will be MOVING by the end of that back section. Gravel traps are bad, mmmkay?

Brake at the first marker until you get a handle on it. Maybe even stay in 4th gear...

:plus1:

I brake way early on the back straight and still hit 165-170 on my 954. That gravel trap can look pretty scary when approaching at speed and hard on the brakes :eek:. Some have also found the kink to be pretty daunting as well.

In novice there usually isn't any passing so having someone blast past you probably won't happen.

There are some good instructors at M-O and they will talk to you about lines, body position, etc after each session. In any case, as someone else said, it's not a race and the key to a successful track day is just like on the street, ride within your limits and have fun.

• 4 weeks later...

First, it is a track day and not a race.

Just about any modern motorcycle will be more than adequate for taking out on the track. The goal of Novice is to make you a better and safer rider no matter what you ride.

Mid-Ohio is a great track but you may want to consider your first track day at Putnam Park. Sportbike Tracktime runs a good program and the track is a bit easier to learn on. STT also has a special intro program to help initiate riders into the sport.

Enjoy, and I highly recommend at a Novice day for anyone that rides.

I just finished my first track day with STT, up at Autobahn in Illinois. On a Ninja 500R. 

Those Zero-60 leather race suits on sale at Iron Pony are not Vanson, but they aren't junk, either. I, uh, used mine. And still had a great time!! STT rents race suits, too. 

Do it . . . you won't regret it, unless your insurance doesn't cover anything on a race track. (State Farm, for instance.)

Edited by mz33

I ran my 2009 Busa out there and got pretty quick in novice.  Stock tires and suspension.  I set the sag and that was about it.  It was a blast.  I smoked my OEM pads on the second day so that is the only thing you may have to replace/upgrade.  I used EBC Extreme Pro pads and they did great.  Stopping a 550lb rocket off the back straight is no small chore.  I broke down and got a track bike because I didn't want to thrash my nice bike.  Don't worry too much about speed and pace.  The coach will set that for you.  At days end they will turn you loose to play alone and you will know your limits by then. 

Do it once and you will never look back. 

Here is a little inspiration, do not mind my horrible body positioning.