Anyone here smoke beef brisket?

Goldie

Long story short I was given almost 50 pounds of beef brisket by my wife's grandparents. I don't have a smoker, so I was wanting to see if anyone here would be interested in working out a deal. I provide the brisket, you smoke it up real nice and juicy like, and we split the yield. If you are on the East side of town or in Bexley, that would be even better.

Let me know if you're interested. Otherwise I might be buying a smoker this weekend. But I don't really want to.

Andrew

Brinkman electric smoker from Lowes/ Depot. Use it, keep it clean, sell it for half of what you paid for it.

I did a bunch of ribs and a couple of briskets on mine. Decided I'd rather eat it at a restaurant, so sold the smoker on CL. But I wasn't given a bunch of free meat.

Subcribed, Been wanting to get into this smoking meat thing. Not sure if possible but we ride our quads all day then come back to camp and don't feel like cooking. I am hoping to put a nice piece of meat on in the morning and let it cook all day while we ride. Not to jack your thread but is this possible? Or do i need to tend to the smoker all day?

Get an electric or propane smoker and you can do just that. I've done recipes where you need to tend it and I've done some set it and forget it ones all with pretty good success

Get an electric or propane smoker and you can do just that. I've done recipes where you need to tend it and I've done some set it and forget it ones all with pretty good success

Thanks, I think I will try one of those and then pick your brain on some recipes.

O rly?

:supergay:

:nono: I walked right into that! :)

Thanks, I think I will try one of those and then pick your brain on some recipes

Anytime! There is also another thread on here called "anyone BBQ" or something like that with several other members who smoke often

Subcribed, Been wanting to get into this smoking meat thing. Not sure if possible but we ride our quads all day then come back to camp and don't feel like cooking. I am hoping to put a nice piece of meat on in the morning and let it cook all day while we ride. Not to jack your thread but is this possible? Or do i need to tend to the smoker all day?

AS long as electric and propane just need someone to fill water ever 2-3 hours. After startup and then 20 mins to get steady temp, you can go for 2-3 hours without filling the water.

But lots of water is key.

The last brisket I did could have used another hour or so. I put it on at about 2:00am and took it off around 4:00pm the next afternoon. I made a slightly spicy rub for it, and I got some pretty positive reviews from the few that got to try it!

I have a Char-Broil electric vertical smoker. They run about $130, then about $10-20 more for a variety of wood chips. I also have a digital remote thermometer. I use it to monitor the temp inside the smoker for most of the cooking time. When the water level is getting low, the temp will climb. Add water, repeat a couple hours later! Later in the process move the temp probe to the meat until the temp is around 190F. I needed to let mine sit at that temp for a while, but I took it off too soon.

My wife's family and I butcher our own beef and pork in the fall and the spring. I myself usually get beef in the spring and pork in the fall. Seasonally this is when they are cheapest. I have a brine recipe that my grandfather passed onto me that makes for a great smoked brisket. The one thing I tend to use brisket for is jerky, or for some shredded beef sandwiches. When we smoke we do so the old fashion way in a cedar shed with your choice of woods and duration. If your going to get into smoking, the recombination of using a BBQ grill.

Fuck it.

Decided I'll just go buy a smoker and see what happens. I'll have to split the slabs up though. Two of them are 17+ lbs. and the other is 13+. Maybe I'll just smoke the smaller one cut in half and see how I like it.

• 1 year later...

So I thought I would share more info about the brisket I am smoking today. Thursday evening I put it in a marinade I mad. Here it is
1/2 C Olive Oil 
6T Soy Sauce 
3T Worcestershire Sauce 
2t Ginger
9 Cloves of Garlic crushed
1/2 C Brown Sugar 
6T Jack Daniels Spicy Brown Mustard 
3/4c Jack Daniels

It going to cook ~10-11 hours @ ~250 degrees over a mixture of charcoal and Oak from old Jack Daniels barrels. The garlic is still laying on top of the meat. I use a Weber Vertical Smoker with a water pan in the middle. The marinade the brisket soaked in was emptied into this water pan. I will post how this all comes out.