Ohio Riders Gap inspiration report

NinjaDoc

Hopefully our trip down there serves as sort of booster and prologue for the rest of the ohio riders. If at all there was any chance i would have taken the vacation in june when weather was so much better. I could only take it this early may, with chance of freaking rain every where. And thx to all my friends who took theirs along with mine to give me company and sacrifice some good riding days.

As i way mentioning the past week I used up my last vacation days for this trip. I know may is way too early to risk for a gap trip with chance of rain any time. But this was the last of the opportunity for me to do this as i dont have the privilege to get more off days later on.

Our plan was to ride all the way down from NE Ohio to the gap and back. We were planning on hitting WV roads on the way down and then take Kentucky roads back up. Total of 6 days planned. Got the bike prepped up with fresh rubber and fluids. The weather prediction looked excellent ……….. until the night before we were about to leave. And as expected of any great dreamy plans, here comes the biggest cloud I ever saw on radar. Yes it rained for the entire 6 days with one day of break in between. In between the rain it would shine for a few which kept our spirits high. We rode as much as the damp conditions would allow us. We pushed the corners at safe speed even though the twisty nature was far more inviting and seductive to the throttle hand. By the fifth day our heart sank because of the rain. All 5 of us had took the rare and much needed vacation to relax and enjoy and ended up getting this. Frustration kicked in and we slabbed all the way back home for 11 hours, 5 hours of which was in rain. Imagine that. But, but one day we got. One warm sunny day we got at the deals gap. That day we went berserk like prisoners on parole. We rode our hearts out, burned our rubbers and spend every inch of energy, soul and spirit to enjoy the trip. Now our muscles are sore, nerves stretched and joints ache. But in the depth of sorrow from a rained and ruined vacation there still lies this glimmer of wicked smile and happiness thinking about the fun we had, the mischief me and bike did together. This will be my first gap trip and best gap trip in spite of all the negatives, just because of all the varied experiences we endured together. But also that one day of pure riding came is as a blessing for the 5 stranded riders in riding paradise.

Well enough with the writing, As i mentioned most days we walked into the hotel or cabin soaking drenched and hanging up our gear to dry for the next day. Didnt get the oppurtunity to take the camera out for pics or shoooting video much. But I put together some pics i got to make up abreif story of what we went through.

small-bike-ready_zpsc03ae23b.png

Bike getting prepped for the journey.

small-rain-and-fog_zps08c82382.png

On highway 16 WV, All geared up, waiting for the next wave of rain to hit us.

small-cabin_zps7120099c.png

by second day night arrived at the cabin

small-gear_zps3878af71.png

Throw our gear around and hit the bed hoping for a better tomorrow

small-iron-horse_zpsde5313a6.png

Next day morning on way to breakfast

small-dragon-board_zps75204c4f.png

finally at he famous footsteps

small-kill-boy_zps3d49254a.png

Pretty sure he will be waiting for us even in this weather

small-damp-curves_zps885031a7.png

All damp roads mad.gif

small-sunny-curves_zps5db20ade.png

Finally sun shine

small-vfr-corner_zps16e2dedd.png

Beautiful roads

small-ducati_zps9c2d34a0.png

Back at the gap ogling at other pretty ones. still very loyal to vfr

small-cousins_zps04847e7d.png

The cousins Headed to Cherohala skyway.

small-bikes-waiting-cherhola_zpsb7a1ff14.png

Short break in between

small-black-viffer_zps822d1837.png

She sure likes to play dirty. Look at the smiles, day seems to get better and better.

smalljerry_zpsbdc82247.png

He looks happy

small-smoky-moutain-dream_zps5162c9f7.png

Words cant describe how beautiful this place really is

small-group-skyway_zps71489a09.png

small-friends_zpsea14c528.png

Might as well get a group pic while the sun is still shining :D

small-night_zps715b7cd5.png

Back in robinsville by sundown

small-night-kitchen_zpsd43eb297.png

Much needed break for both the bikes and us. Good place to munch down

small-night-sleep_zpsd881606b.png

sleeping under their night light after heavt duty work day

small-night-sky_zps8c5555e5.png

View from deck of cabin, never got to see such clear sky and peaceful night in a long time time for us to get some sleep as well,

the next day we head back home... of course under rain goofy.gif.

Hope you guys enjoyed the brief ride report. Will update a bit more with pics and write up later.

Edited by NinjaDoc
  • Upvote 1

Nice vid Doc. Thanks for inviting me to enjoy this trip with you. I will never forget that week, one of the best iv had even with the rain. Sitting here at work I still cant think of anything else except that trip.

Edited by Jester_

awesome video man!

thx hoblick

Glad you guys had a good time.

you shud have joined us :p

Good write up Doc !

Looks like you guys had a good time despite the crappy weather .

Hopefully we get to ride one more time on the street before i leave .....u track snob :D

Albeit a wet week, still looked like a stellar time - nice vid:bow:

thx hellmutt, may be some day we can have epic gap ride one year :D

Awesome, makes me even more anxious for the June trip to come already!

u are right, the roads there does make you not want to ride ohio roads again.... but it only lasted for 10 hours ... i want to get back on our roads NOW

Awesome, Doc. I'm glad you guys had a good trip. I can't wait to get down there myself later this year :D

very jelly... u will be riding like 2 hours and getting to gap :cool:... where as here we were riding two hours to get to bolivar :mad:

Your videos are something to envy good work.

thx jstfst

Nice vid Doc. Thanks for inviting me to enjoy this trip with you. I will never forget that week, one of the best iv had even with the rain. Sitting here at work I still cant think of anything else except that trip.

thx dan, we will hopefully be doing this again someday....and shud trailer down lol

Nice write up and photos Doc, love the video.

thx ryan, will make a better longer version when i get more time. this one i just cooked up fast before i loose the urge to sit and cut it up. Added your segment of ninja ditching just because u posted about that here already :D

I'll be going down after I get more vacation in July. Trailer down Thursday night, ride Friday and Saturday and return Sunday. Car should be able to tow two bikes.

I pulled two bikes with a 5 by 8 TSC trailer with a Chevy Impala down there once with no problems... I'm off the last week of July:D

Edited by 2talltim

We have plenty of time to figure it out, the truck is a good option to have if more people join. I wouldn't mind riding down, but only if the weather was guaranteed nice for the duration.