quick question...

Appleseed

hey guys. im new here, and im going to make a post in the introduction thread. but before i do, i need to ask you guys something.

i have my temporary permit. from what ive read online i need to have it for at least 6 months before i can obtain my license. i am not permitted to ride at night. i need to ride at night to get to and from work.

my question is, does a motorcycle endorsement give me the ability to ride at night? what does the endorsement permit exactly? i cant seem to find any details on the DMV website, or in the handbook.

thanks for your response(s)

No time requirement for temps. (Unless that's new)

Endorsement will allow you to ride at night, on thoroughfares, and with a passenger. You will be stamped MC Novice for the first year and be required to wear a helmet.

I would HIGHLY advise taking an MSF course. They are great instructors, cheap, and teach a bunch of good skills. I know mine has saved my life a few times. It will also get you your endorsement.

Edited by BDBGoalie
Grammar fail.
  • Upvote 1

The six months thing sounds like a 15 1/2 year old getting a driving permit.

Pretty sure you can just get your TIPIC (moto permit) and take the test back to back if you're ready for it. Take a MSF course at Iron Pony and they'll give you a waiver you take to the DMV to get your real endorsement.

This is all assuming you have a drivers license to begin with.

Once you've attained your motorcycle endorsement there are no limits apart from a required helmet for 1 year.

E: beaten like a dead horse.

If you get your enforcement you can ride at night.

I would also recommend taking the MSF and you get your endorsement at the end of the class. You only need to take your paperwork to the license agency and get a new card.

Edit: Not fast enough!!!

http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/

In case your looking at a different page.

Edited by baggyp
  • Upvote 1

whats the point of an endorsement if you can just get your full license straight away?

So you can ride with limitations to see if you like it and build skills required to pass the test. It is also an attempt to keep new riders off main roads and freeways.

Get your temps first for the motorcycle. Study the test material first by downloading the study book online. Then schedule the MSF course and take it. Classes fill early and fast. By taking the MSF course, you can take that course and pass it and then go to the BMV to get your license changed to be fully endorsed to ride at night, on freeways and have passengers. The BMV will waive their test as long as you pass the MSF course which includes the maneuverability test. I got my temps and took the MSF class, passed it and had my full endorsement in the same 2-3 weeks. You have to wear a helmet for the first full year of your endorsement no matter what. Of course, I wear a helmet all the time anyways.

Makes no sense to ride without a helmet or gear. I have seen too many riders (almost all cruisers) even lately that have no helmets, gear or even try to cover their arms, hands and legs properly. Road rash is no easy recovery. Makes me cringe everytime to see riders with no gear on. Anyway, get endorsed and ride with gear and be safe. It's your life.

thanks for your input guys. i appreciate it. ill take the course and go get my full license and just skip the endorsement

Temps only require written test. (which you have)

Endorsement (aka full license) requires permit and skills test...

so you can't just "skip" the permit, you need it to get your endorsement.

Waiting 6 months wasn't part of the deal unless you are under age 16 IIRC.

But I've ridden outside of permit restrictions (freeway) when I was a noob, and as long as they have no reason to pull you over, then it's smooth sailing.

Edited by magley64

Endorsement is the full license. Need your permit to take MSF class, so go get your book, study, and take the test first.

Edit: didn't see page 2. What they said ^^^^

I would also recommend taking the MSF and you get your endorsement at the end of the class. 

MSF do it

dont think twice

do it.

study NHS what kills motorcycles (#1 cars turning left in front of you)

study what causes motorcycle accidents

keep your head on a swivel.

the two accidents I've had....1) chasing seagulls in a parking lot 2) chasing a dirtbike on my chopper offroad 

Live your first year and your odds triple the following season (insurance stats, not mine)

decide if you're going to be an organ donor. (or wear a helmet)   :banana: 

i would love to do it. but all of the classes for franklin county are full, and iron pony costs $200.

Money well spent!!!!

You can show up to a class and if someone thats scheduled does not show up they take walk-ins.

i would love to do it. but all of the classes for franklin county are full, and iron pony costs $200.

your insurance winds up being cheaper, and you'll learn things.

i've started riding in 78

I unlearned something

I used to lay my fingers on top of the brake/clutch levers, decades old bad habit.

No more, took some discipline. 

Not very confusing. Maybe just some mixed terminology.

There are 2 methods to get a full Motorcycle license in Ohio.

First

1. Pass written test

2. Get temporary permit

3. Pass riding test

4. Get motorcycle endorsement / MC license

Second

1. Pass written test

2. Get temporary permit

3. Take MSF course and pass final test

4. Get MC endorsement

The second method is the recommended method for new riders as you learn alot during the couple days on the course. Plus you get to use their bikes and dont have to worry about dropping yours during the initial learning stage.

i separate test and license steps because these are actually different government agencies and may have different site or at least different desks in your location. 

Your temporary permit is good for one year and restricts you from freeways, riding at night and with passengers. 

Your full endorsement restricts you to riding with a helmet for the first year.

Ohio has no engine size or power restrictions for any riders. 

Craig

PS take the MSF course. Try walk in if local courses are full. Or schedule in a different county. I noticed that less populous counties seem to have more slots available.

• Upvote 2

thanks craig, i figured this all out today after making a few phone calls.

you really broke it down though, wish i could have seen it sooner. probably wouldnt have annoyed everyone so much haha.

thanks for the help guys. i appreciate it.