Is Your Bike The Fastest?

2fat2fly

They're having pro-riders for liability reasons.

You can't put a bunch of wildcard street riders on a drag strip, let alone a road course, and tell them "go as fast as you can" without trouble.

They're having pro-riders for liability reasons.

You can't put a bunch of wildcard street riders on a drag strip, let alone a road course, and tell them "go as fast as you can" without trouble.

I totally agree with this and I'm sure their insurance company probably dictated this.

So say you own some badass street bike. Would you let some 'pro' ride your bike for the very first time on a track in a race?

I sure as hell wouldn't.

I've personally known Brock for over 20 years and I can honestly say he has ridden every fast bike I've had (fast by my standards, not his). Even when he was a reigning world champ on a Suzuki I still managed to have him ride my Kawasakis to get his input. I don't know who the pro riders will be. I assume they're all experts in their individual fields. If Brock approves of them then I would have no problem letting them ride my bike. Even one I spent years building. If I build a bike for a purpose then I want it used for that purpose,but that's just me.

Not if you short-shift it. 

Frankly, the roadcourse is the one that is easy to throw away.

The same bike could legitimately win the 1/4 mile, the dyno shootout, and the top-speed run.  It's unlikely that the bike that wins the roadcourse will win anything else. 

I'd enter a busa with a nitrous system or a turbo or something.  Just don't hit the button on the road course, and/or stay out of the boost.  They're not ideal track bikes, but they can definitely handle pretty well compared to a true drag bike.

The horsepower shootout isn't all that interesting to me though.  It should be power:weight.

Even short shifting isn't going to take away ALL of that abrupt power, especially on a 300-400hp bike.  Imo, nitrous on ANY roadcourse would surely spell broken traction and probably broken bike/rider as well, where turbochargers can be dialed back to keep them more manageable.  At any rate, I agree with everyone about the liter bike most likely winning it all - but I'd wager that it will be one damned expensive 1000cc to be equally competitive in all the straightline/hp events.  

Probably be "some" competition failures due to different rider's capabilities, having to adjust to a completely different platform than they're used to competing on, and/or just poor rider performance that particular day......may not be many affected, but it's definitely a factor somewhere

Even short shifting isn't going to take away ALL of that abrupt power, especially on a 300-400hp bike.  Imo, nitrous on ANY roadcourse would surely spell broken traction and probably broken bike/rider as well, where turbochargers can be dialed back to keep them more manageable.  At any rate, I agree with everyone about the liter bike most likely winning it all - but I'd wager that it will be one damned expensive 1000cc to be equally competitive in all the straightline/hp events.  

Probably be "some" competition failures due to different rider's capabilities, having to adjust to a completely different platform than they're used to competing on, and/or just poor rider performance that particular day......may not be many affected, but it's definitely a factor somewhere

With progressive nitrous controllers you can have the system completely disarmed for the road course and street ride events. I would think the street ride would be to see how user friendly on the street the bike would be, anyway. So you'd want a docile bike for that event. If your nitrous motor made about 200hp naturally aspirated then you'll have a good chance at the road course part of it (I believe). With that it would be up to the rider to apply power as he wants it with no surprises from boost or juice. That may allow more confidence to ride the bike harder into and around corners where  on another bike they might be apprehensive. Smooth and steady wins on a road course.

With progressive nitrous controllers you can have the system completely disarmed for the road course and street ride events. I would think the street ride would be to see how user friendly on the street the bike would be, anyway. So you'd want a docile bike for that event. If your nitrous motor made about 200hp naturally aspirated then you'll have a good chance at the road course part of it (I believe). With that it would be up to the rider to apply power as he wants it with no surprises from boost or juice. That may allow more confidence to ride the bike harder into and around corners where  on another bike they might be apprehensive. Smooth and steady wins on a road course.

That makes more sense to me since you can't "turn off" a turbocharger like a nitrous system.  Smooth & steady is definitely going to win the roadcourse portion.   Street ride seemed like a simple test to ensure the bike's "can" perform day to day riding at slow paces without boil over or stalls.

Street ride seemed like a simple test to ensure the bike's "can" perform day to day riding at slow paces without boil over or stalls.

Yep, plus the ergonomics, handling and user friendliness of the whole package (I'm thinking). This is where both turbos and nitrous will shine. An AMS1000 controlled turbo set-up will be infinitely adjustable with the touch of some buttons so you can set the tune in seconds between events. 

I wonder if the pro riders will give feedback/advice on gearing.

For the road course, that could make a significant difference.  Even for quarter mile, with a high enough horsepower bike, gearing could eliminate a shift, and cut a lot of time.  Also might eliminate wheel-spin, or the propensity to wheelie uncontrolably.

I used to watch "pass time" late at night, and one guy had a Hayabusa with 270+ horsepower (maybe a lot more. I can't recall).  In that tune, he said it was "unrideable" for a 130 lbs. racer.  He was more like 215, and it was still a handful...