Used Car Shopping Sucks

Scarlett Harlot

My wife's car is just about to go tits up so I'm in the used car market for the first time in about 10 years and boy have things changed over the past decade. Yes, I realize that everything costs more but most of what I'm finding is wrecked, or previously owned by sadists or just over-priced crap. During the past week of looking:

At the dealers; 2 to 3 year olds vehicles that stickered new at approx $22,000, now with 25-40,000 miles on them are priced on the used lot for $20,000. Even more surprising is that 8 to 10 y/o vehicles are being offered at 60% to 70% of their original price. If the cars were in pristine condition maybe???? But many are not even in more than average  condition and a good number have an accident history or are high-miles. Cars ready to be towed to the salvage yard are offered at $5-6,000.

Private owners; Dealer level pricing for the same or worse crap than is on dealer lots.

CarMax; My cancer was more enjoyable than shopping there.

When did it become like this?

A relative in used car sales (many states away) said the industry took a hit in the balls when "cash for clunkers" came around. 

Made good used cars soo scarce the price literally skyrocketed in a few weeks time.........and unlike gun buying panic, the price has only stayed high. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_Allowance_Rebate_System  Hmmm, who came with that crap idea...anyhow-

I was fairly stunned when I went to sell my 86 turbo diesel extended cab, rusted to hell ford pickup.It did have newer tires, newer batteries, newer other "stuff"...but really,  I knew no one would pay a grand for it...the neighbor suggested strongly I ask 1800 for it...sold in a couple of hours for my asking price...unfeckingbeleevable.

Guy drove up from columbus (to medina) walked around it, lifted the hood, checked the fluids, started it up, turned it off and asked for the title.

I would HATE to try and buy a ride now for a grand or two grand budget price. 

I figured this out when I sold my what I thought was ready for the junk yard, 250k mile minivan for $5k earlier this year. There's just not as many used cars out there right now. Down scale a bit and buy something new within your budget.

Also included is the value of the scrap metal has sky rocketed.

What scraped for 20-40 bucks twenty years ago, now brings 500 to 800 bucks.

Add that to your base value.

For a little while, people could go around and buy up junkers for less then the scrap value.

And scrap them for a profit. Not so much anymore.

A car that doesn't run or barely runs, is pretty much worth 800 or more.

This makes engine rebuilding attractive. A decent car with a blown engine is worth considering.

Engine rebuilds were running 1000-1500 if you find a place that will do it for that price.

edit: same deal if it needs a paint job.

Edited by ReconRat

New car prices are so high more people have moved to the used car market to save money. Simple case of supply and demand.

That was my first thought but the used car prices are only a little under new car prices and with the higher interest rates actually more expensive in some cases. Plus,  the lots are teaming with used cars. Stacked bumper to bumper on most lots.

Get out of the city and check out small town dealers. I used to go to C bus to buy cars but the last two I got at my local small town town dealer and found nicer cars for better deals.

• Upvote 2

My wife's car is just about to go tits up so I'm in the used car market for the first time in about 10 years and boy have things changed over the past decade. Yes, I realize that everything costs more but most of what I'm finding is wrecked, or previously owned by sadists or just over-priced crap. During the past week of looking:

At the dealers; 2 to 3 year olds vehicles that stickered new at approx $22,000, now with 25-40,000 miles on them are priced on the used lot for $20,000. Even more surprising is that 8 to 10 y/o vehicles are being offered at 60% to 70% of their original price. If the cars were in pristine condition maybe???? But many are not even in more than average  condition and a good number have an accident history or are high-miles. Cars ready to be towed to the salvage yard are offered at $5-6,000.

Private owners; Dealer level pricing for the same or worse crap than is on dealer lots.

CarMax; My cancer was more enjoyable than shopping there.

When did it become like this?

I know a lil' about a lot. I'm on my 7th car and I'm almost 27 years old (yeah i knwo lol). I've drove many many cars, use to work as valet for a few years. I've researched many many cars just for the fun of it, why I never considered being a mechanic of some sorts ill never know. I may not be able to replace a motor but i know enough about them to be able to service my own vehicle and how to buy quality parts on the cheap and fix things on the cheap - the same way stealerships do, but for less. I currently own a 2011 Mazda Speed 3 that I've done some modifications too.

Being that said....If your looking for the BEST bang for your buck in the 10-15k range i assume?  IMO - try for a Honda Civic or a Mazda 3 - between 07-10 model years. Bot cars are very reliable, cheap to fix (brakes, tires, rotors, etc) and most people i know run the dog shit out of them and they keep on ticking. The only con to them is that they are a smaller vehicle, so if one decided to attempt to have turf battle with a semi - you'll obviously loose.

Lasty, try to buy used for a private seller, it will save you a few grand. Beyond that you cant go wrong with either of those cars, but thats just my .02

Despite common belief, dealers make little money selling new cars. They make all their money on parts, service and used cars. So, if you want to buy used and get a good deal, stay away from the stealerships.

Ask around, word of mouth, for someone on a lease deal and it is about to expire. Many times, you can buy them out at the turn in price and get a good deal.

Economy yes but also, cars with 100k miles are mid-life now. So, a car with 20-30k miles stil has 80-90% of retained value and that is another factor of why you use low mile used cars priced close to used.

CARMAX used to offer decent values on used vehicles. I have been out of the market so long that I don't know if that is stil true. A suggestion would be to bite the bullet and buy new. Depending on what you buy and use, the car could easily last 10-20 years. My 2002 Subaru just dinged 100k miles and still runs/looks like new.

Edited by Revelstoker

What kinda car are you looking for? My buddy runs/owns Ross Premier Motors in Mt. Vernon. Used to be a new jeep/dodge/chrysler dealership, but now focuses on used vehicles. 

He's got a couple locations now. Check it out and let me know if youre going to head up there and I'll give him a ring.

http://www.rossrpm.com/

We are looking for a small SUV like a Rav4 or CRV. My wife is soon to be a massage therapist and needs to haul a massage table and chair around. I have my financing set up through my credit union but the check/agreement is for a dealer at this time. If I change to a private purchase I have to reapply; which is why I've been focusing on dealers.

Most of what I've found is very expensive and what is not real expensive is just expensive junk and with an accident history. To date I have found 2 vehicles that have my interest. A 4Runner-2003 with 60,000 miles for $12,400 and 2004 CRV with 80,000 for $13,000. Both are in Marysville. I just learned that the 4Runner uses premium gas so the CRV is my first choice.

Thanks for the tip on CarWhore. I'll give him a poke.

I appreciate all your help.