Deals Gap Traffic Law Enforcement

Connie14

I am leaving Cbus next Friday early AM, and I anticipate passing through the "Tail of the Dragon" a little after lunch. I will head east on NC SR 28 to spend the evening in Franklin, NC. From the people that went on the recent Deal's Gap trip, what should I expect for traffic law enforcement in the area on the Friday afternoon?

Last time I was there, Friday evening was clear of law enforcement officers. (It did rain earlier in the afternoon on our ride down there.). On the Saturday morning, it was assholes and elbows with the "chrome show" and some of Tennessee's finest. Out of frustration, we ended up riding back through northern TN and southern KY instead of following all slow traffic at Deal's Gap.

I would rather spend my $ on gear and accessories than speeding tickets. Any input is appreciated.

There will be two cops at the bottom as you just pass the lake and start up. There will be one just past the overlook at the end of the straightaway. The fourth will be about two miles before the NC line at the end of that last longish straightaway. You will not see him fast enough to slow down.

While in Franklin you MUST go to cafe rel that is attached to the gas station. Five star French food. You MUST get a BOWL of the blue crab bisque.

Save yourself all the headache and hit the cherahoa skyway, just as good a road, way less traffic, no police, = more fun, much, much better.

I do kinda have to agree, I did really get a kick out of that road and some of those turns do get tight.

Save yourself all the headache and hit the cherahoa skyway, just as good a road, way less traffic, no police, = more fun, much, much better.

That is good advice if the OP's choice is one or the other. But skipping the Gap and doing the Skyway ending in Franklin adds an hour to his trip time. If it were me, I would go across the Dragon, then the skyway, then back across the skyway.  :)

Via the Gap:

http://goo.gl/maps/O3PZT

Via the Skyway:

http://goo.gl/maps/3SEYo

As told to me by the locals: the local cops are pretty lenient and are generally only out to get people that appear to be riding over their head/out of control, EXCESSIVE speeding, and generous usage of the opposing lane. Otherwise, they know tourism is the main bread and butter for that area so they don't get too crazy.

The state police OTOH, which are generally only present on the weekends, are generally sticklers for the speed limit and if you touch the center line they will bust you. I didn't see any staties while we were down there and I did see one LEO on the Cherohala but he was driving along, not sitting running radar.

Oh and listen to Tonik about Cafe Rel - white man speak truth. That's some damn good food.

Thanks for heads up on cafe rel. I will check it out. I wish I had more time to ride all of the routes down there. I am riding the southern half of the Blue Ridge Parkway on Saturday, and I am meeting the wife and kids in OBX on Sunday afternoon. Maybe next year.

I know the original question concerned police. What I meant was less traffic ie; less police, more fun in that order. I tend to go where people aren't. I was NOT impressed at all with the Dragon and all the humanity and traffic and downright stupidity I saw when I was there in 2009. Plenty of other superior roads all around that area less travelled and less patrolled.

I know the original question concerned police. What I meant was less traffic ie; less police, more fun in that order. I tend to go where people aren't. I was NOT impressed at all with the Dragon and all the humanity and traffic and downright stupidity I saw when I was there in 2009. Plenty of other superior roads all around that area less travelled and less patrolled.

There are real good times to ride the Dragon. and real bad times to ride the Dragon. I just love riding that section so much, love getting into that rhythm!

the BRP was packed with Park Rangers

The Dragon I only saw 2 cops the whole time but was only on it 2-3x

Cherehola we crossed half dark and in pouring rain so we were about the only traffic on it at all

I think we were in GA still at the point we past a cop coming the other way and he just gave us a kind quick "slow the fuck down" flash of the lights

According to this guy the speed limit on the Dragon is 65mph, not the posted 30mph.  He fought his ticket and won, not a recommended strategy but it makes for an interesting read if your bored.

http://dragonaters.blogspot.com/2011/03/court-tdot-say-dragon-speed-limit-is-65.html

We didnt see one cop on the Dragon or Skyway when we were there in early may, and traffic was relatively light.

Rhill and I did have a close encounter with a cop on 28 who flashed his lights because he saw Ryan pass a car but he didnt chase after us.

• 2 weeks later...

There will be two cops at the bottom as you just pass the lake and start up. There will be one just past the overlook at the end of the straightaway. The fourth will be about two miles before the NC line at the end of that last longish straightaway. You will not see him fast enough to slow down.

While in Franklin you MUST go to cafe rel that is attached to the gas station. Five star French food. You MUST get a BOWL of the blue crab bisque.

Thank

for the suggestion

Edited by Connie14

Saw a cop at the bottom (pulled over at lake), and saw a motorcycle cop chasing someone on the tail. On top of that, I got stuck behind a couple of minivans (wouldn't yield) that were passed by some snails. The ride through the tail SUCKED! State Route 28 to Franklin was Great! It was definitely the highlight of the day. No traffic that couldn't be easily passed at High rates of speed. I didn't see another cop until Franklin. Everyone there was pretty cool, and most cagers would yield. I have heard (and believe that it is true) that the roads around the tail of the dragon are more fun to ride than the tail of the dragon.

My first run (a few years ago) through the tail will always be the best. It was after an afternoon rain storm. No cops and no cruisers (except my VTX). The only time I did the speed limit was the start and the end. In the middle, there was nothing but dragging floorboards and highway bars.

Anytime that I am within an hour of Franklin, I will definitely eat at Cafe Rel.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 4 Beta