2up Riding On Supersport....comfortably

RHill

Anyone have any tips for 2 up riding besides getting the woman a bike or getting a different bike?

I'm not sure how to tell her to sit, only rode 2up one time in the past w a girl that had been on sport bikes in the past. The previous time was a 7 hr trip to the beach; and we rested abt every 2 hours and she was fine. This weekend we went for two 20-30 minute stints and she was beat.

I told her to use he hands on the tank to support herself, or to lean up against my back; she she said her wrists hurt when pressing on the tank. I tried to sit more upright, but idk if that helped or hurt our cause.

I think one of the main problems is I was sitting forward and she was almost in the front seat with me.

Really want to help her be more comfortable, it was actually fun after I told her to keep her head on the inside of mine through the turns.

Negative

Sport bikes really suck for 2up as they are not designed to do it. Passenger sits up really high and their isn't a whole lot of room to the pegs. Short distances are going to be ok but if you want to go longer, you are going to need a different bike. One with a passenger back rest and bags for her bags.

All passengers, I loosen my belt and instruct the passenger to hold onto my belt. It is much easier for a person to grip the belt and hold on vs. around your waste. No choice other than to lean into your back on a sport bike. Tell her to lean with you, not against.

If the GF is a keeper, you are most likely going to have to look for a different or a 2nd bike if you want to take longer rides.

although its not on a super sport so I don't know if it will work, I always just unzip the side pockets of my jackets and my fiance grabs inside those when she isn't using the passenger grab handles :D

I am very short, so i never had any issues except my butt would go numb. i would put my hands on the tank when we stopped and my arms around Hellmutt when we took off other than that i didnt really "hold on" I used my core muscels to stay put.

I have also fell asleep on the back (not a good idea).

When I brought home my first sportbike, upon initial inspection by my wife, she says; "The passenger is supposed to sit up there? &I put their feet up there? I don't think so." She got her own bike then. I have taken a passenger on my 1000 & it sucked. Front wheel kept lifting & scaring the shit out of her. The weight distribution is just wrong. Sorry I don't have any positive advice for you on this.

Negative

Sport bikes really suck for 2up as they are not designed to do it. Passenger sits up really high and their isn't a whole lot of room to the pegs. Short distances are going to be ok but if you want to go longer, you are going to need a different bike. One with a passenger back rest and bags for her bags.

Accurately, ^ that

I was shopping, and had decided on an ST1100, drove more than once a few hours to look-researched and saved....but even those, and Kaw Councours and Beemers lack the two up, long distance comfort. 

At the time I was riding a restored 86 KZ1100 with full factory Vetter (loved that bike) and she took a fancy to riding, that bike was really a touring bike I could push hard into the turns, but it really lacked when adding 100 pounds (her) and 10 pounds (our stuff)

After lamenting, got a Goldwing- and I love it, but its no way a sporty bike, the GL1200 was the last of the still manageable wings. I would love some day to get a sport bike..I take long ass trips on it-often- and she goes -very often. she loves going. Just loves it, so, get her a bike, or find a vertical sitter with backrest. I shudder seeing some chic in shorts and sandals humped over clinging onto someone sitting on a crotch rocket. 

Next bike I get, when space is available, will likely go to a cafe project. 

I am very short, so i never had any issues except my butt would go numb. i would put my hands on the tank when we stopped and my arms around Hellmutt when we took off other than that i didnt really "hold on" I used my core muscels to stay put.

I have also fell asleep on the back (not a good idea).

On my trip to the beach, the girl fell asleep on the back.  She was also sitting on a homemade passenger seat...brackets pulled from the pillion cover, piece of plywood cut to shape, some cushion foam, towel and a few staples.  She was shorter as well and a much more seasoned passenger and it was highway the whole way.  That was on my 01 gsxr; which I think was a more comfortable bike for both riders.

The one thing that crossed my mind was making a rear seat extension to bridge the gap between my ass and the rear seat.  Or maybe handle bar risers to scoot my whole body back a little.  I'm 5'7" and when I scoot the whole way back to the rear seat I'm leaned over real far and I don't think she would be able to rest on my back comfortably.  I figured resting against me would give her some relief, but our helmets clanked together a couple times(shes is the same height as me) and she pulled her had back...causing her to again be uncomfortable.  I have no problem supporting her weight while riding or even under braking, it will just strengthen my core and help me stay lighter on the bars riding by myself.

She did excellent for her first time on a sportbike, we were on back roads in PA, so lots of bends, bumps and elevation changes....which added to the stress on her.  The first turn we took, she counter-leaned and it surprised me how much she affected the bike, but I knew exactly what and why it was happening....immediately stopped and told her to lean with me.  After that it felt just like straight up riding and she really wants to do it again.  I'm going to have to pick up some gear for her before we go out on the bike again.

Edited by RHill

Wow... that's below the belt. :wtf:

Isaac loved riding on the FZ6. Not so much on the Monster. I haven't carried many passengers. Lyns came with her own bike, and my ex-wife was told "never again" after her first attempt. Women don't seem to like me, so it's never really been an issue. You must have the sexy stuff that ladies like. (except snot... she seems to be privy to something we're unaware)

ouch....

Luckily I think Snot is talking about something like PSR 2 up tank bar that Twizted posted earlier.  If not, I think the Lacey(girl in question) would have a differing opinion.  

I hate to say it, but maybe a more comfortable bike is in the distant future.  edit: Not just because of the girl....3hr highway on back to back days with a little fun mixed in the middle really killed me.  Of course my wrist is still screwed up from my accident at PIRC and my shoulder has been bothering me since the Deals Gap incident.

Edited by RHill
  • Upvote 1