Pondering: Going From Sv650s To R1

silentcropduster

No one's ever made fun of me bec I ride a 650....

But you seem to feel inferior or less of a man because you ride a 650, or maybe you think you can or have ridden it to its potential? Am I just grasping for straws here, or am I right or am I right?

• Upvote 1

People around here get really upset when someone wants a litre bike... Nobody needs a litre bike, doesn't make them less fun.. If I only rode weekends instead of daily, I would have picked one up myself. People here are just looking out for you... I understand the feeling of outgrowing a bike... If you don't do much technical riding, it's easy to feel like you're outgrowing a bike or longing for something a little faster... You probably haven't even come close to pushing the limits on your sv for twisty roads, but for the riding you do, I guess you're getting bored. I was in the same boat with my VFR. That bike handled better than I could ever take it, but I still wanted something with a little more umph on the highway and something that handles better, so I upgraded.

Buy the bike you like. You will be the one riding it. I personally don't think you will be happy with the r1 for an extended period of time based on what you've posted so far, but you never know. People here are snarky assholes, but they really do have your best interest in mind

• Upvote 2

But you seem to feel inferior or less of a man because you ride a 650, or maybe you think you can or have ridden it to its potential? Am I just grasping for straws here, or am I right or am I right?

And u can't compare a gun to a motorcycle. I have a 1911 45. That's a bigger caliber gun, in which I am very proficient with. Does that mean it makes my "cock HUGE" too?

"If you didnt think you were honestly making a possible mistake, then why the hell ask us what we think?" - what I thought? That I would get some feedback that wasn't all extremely negative and one sided. Is the R1 a bike I can get myself in trouble with, sure it is...but hell that's true for any bike. This is turning into an "OMG that bike is way too fast for you" speech. As for how fast it truly is...who says I'm going to try and do 180 in it? Hell I've never had my current bike to its top speed of roughly 120-130.

Just because you don't ride a bike to its potential, doesn't mean you shouldn't upgrade to something different... Maybe he commutes a lot and wants a bit more straight line acceleration that the sv lacks? Maybe he just wants something newer and nicer?

Going by the logic of never owning anything more than you can use 100 percent of, very few people on this site would ride any sport bike bigger than a 500

• Upvote 2

People around here get really upset when someone wants a litre bike... Nobody needs a litre bike, doesn't make them less fun.. If I only rode weekends instead of daily, I would have picked one up myself. People here are just looking out for you... I understand the feeling of outgrowing a bike... If you don't do much technical riding, it's easy to feel like you're outgrowing a bike or longing for something a little faster... You probably haven't even come close to pushing the limits on your sv for twisty roads, but for the riding you do, I guess you're getting bored. I was in the same boat with my VFR. That bike handled better than I could ever take it, but I still wanted something with a little more umph on the highway and something that handles better, so I upgraded.

Buy the bike you like. You will be the one riding it. I personally don't think you will be happy with the r1 for an extended period of time based on what you've posted so far, but you never know. People here are snarky assholes, but they really do have your best interest in mind

Butters is wise beyond his years. Get what you want obviously but heeding the advice of others who have been through the same thing is always a good thing IMO

Honestly though... If you don't wanna do 180, the r6 will be a better bike and is worth consideration.. Cheaper to buy and insure, and from what I hear they are much more fun to ride... Still voting fz1 though lol but nobody can make that decision besides you

• Upvote 1

Not much to compare to your situation... My cb1k is a naked bike.. It would be more closely compared to an fz1 than an r1...a little more power was on top of my list, but I also wanted something more agile... New bike feels like it rides itself compared to the VFR.. I can take turns with ease on the new bike that required a little extra effort on the VFR.. And it's a bit more comfortable... But it's no 1k supersport either... It's definitely faster in a straight line than the VFR, but not by much... The nimbleness and ergos is what sold me

My FZI is no slug, but on a twisted road it cant touch a SV650 until we hit some good straights. My buddy Jeff rode his R1 to the Gap with us this June, he's now shopping for a FJR or a FZ1. 200 TO 400 miles a day kicked his ass.

My FZI is no slug, but on a twisted road it cant touch a SV650 until we hit some good straights. My buddy Jeff rode his R1 to the Gap with us this June, he's now shopping for a FJR or a FZ1. 200 TO 400 miles a day kicked his ass.

Depends on rider... Put a good rider on the fz and then put same guy on a sv and I bet the fz wins. There's someone on here I rode with, forget screen name, but him on his fz1 was so much faster than our group that we never even saw him after the first 2 minutes.. And he said he never even left 6th gear... Rider skill is the biggest factor in going fast, that's why it's important to pick a bike based on your own needs, not by how fast it goes

Edited by Steve Butters

I laugh when I hear people say they outgrew their middleweight bike. You need to find better riding situations if you think that's the case.

I have not one but two SVs and I certainly haven't outgrown them in 4 years and nearly 30k miles between them. I have a literbike too and I can tell you I have way more fun on the SVs. And my Tuono is much more comfy than an R1.

Put your money towards track days instead. You have the best track day bike already.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD while sitting in the woods of Maine.

I'll have to remember that bit about the SV1K being a slug the next time I can't catch Roamr across a WV mountain pass. :dunno:

The SV1000, to me, was unbalanced and top heavy. I didn't feel as confident riding it as I do on my R1.

These are my opinions and nothing more. I think you should ride the bike you are most comfortable on (ass and handling), and don't let anyone tell you what or how to ride.

I never said nor implied the SV1K is a slug or an incapable bike. It was just not the bike for me. 

I learn and try to improve my skills each time I ride. I'm sure in the correct hands the SV1K can do all sorts of twisties and get leans I can only dream of. I just couldn't get the feel for it.

This is the reason I'd never have a pure sport bike as my only street bike. You really don't lose much in handling/performance even for aggressive street riding by going with a more upright naked/standard bike. You end up thanking yourself for commuting purposes and longer trips. I personally wouldn't even be considering an SV650S if my main purpose wasn't to track it, not as comfy as my 919.

How much you willing to offer $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ NADA claims its worth 3,8k i believe and it has HID's, custom blue LED's installed with a 12v distro block that will handle 4-5 more add-on's lol. At any rate...I'm not going to go out and do wheelies or do 160MPH. If I do end up buying the R1 and I feel it's way way way way too much for me, I'd sell it. Would it be a waste of $$? Yes but I guess I'll learn my lesson. I'm pretty confident that I have good throttle control and wont push it too far, baby steps lol

You mentioned $3k before. I'd be willing to go that, but not more.

Don't diss or underestimate the SV.

I was at Barber last weekend and a control rider was blitzing everyone in the Intermediate group on his SV. It was a thing of beauty to watch him blaze through the corners at full lean.

Speed is a straight line is over rated but if the R1 will make you happy, go for it.

3k? NADA claims its worth 3.8k. Plus I just put new chain, sprockets, oil etc on it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Post # 36, you said you'd do 3k for it:

http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/101795-sv650-vs-sv1000-vs-gsxr-750-vs-for-track-days/page-2

NADA/Blue Book values are not necessarily what you should expect to get out of your bike/car etc. It's simply worth what someone's willing to pay at the time you want to sell.

3k? NADA claims its worth 3.8k. Plus I just put new chain, sprockets, oil etc on it.

Also, I don't know what you're doing, but NADA value states average retail = $3,300. Blue Book States $3,210 for retail... Selling privately = not as much as retail.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/2005/Suzuki/SV650SK5-645cc/Values

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/suzuki/sv650s/2005-suzuki-sv650s/suggestedretailvalue/

3k? NADA claims its worth 3.8k. Plus I just put new chain, sprockets, oil etc on it.Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Unless you find an idiot 16 year old and sell it to him with a clear conscious, your listed modifications bring the value down, percieved abuse...

LOL NADA means exactly that, nada as in zero most of the time. The market sets the price, not a book

• Upvote 2