Pondering: Going From Sv650s To R1

silentcropduster

also please define what you think is out growing a motorcycle. I'm really intrigued

I personally don't care what you buy and you should get what you want. But this is the thing annoying me that you keep saying you've out grown a 650 and that you will an r6

Edited by Bad324

No, of the Raven R6

not only that but I just noticed...

Yoshi Exahust (Cut in half with baffle taken out, extremely loud, sounds mean)

Lowered 2 1/4 inches in front

Lowered 1 inch in rear (due to my height) ( I do have the stock lowering links)

lowering a bike can compromise the handling, and who takes baffles out to make a bike louder? My Yoshi exhaust is plently loud, plus taking out baffles might also affect the performance - as in create too lottle back pressure etc?

Two quick observations with no dog in this fight:

1) I can't believe no one called the OP out on his claim that an R1 has "40% more power" than an SV. It's more like 80% more, and that is if your SV is tuned to perfection, and the R1 is kind if a dog.

2) "outgrow" is surely a poor choice of words, but if the OP wants more horsepower for street use, an R1 may or may not be the best way to get it. I think he really wants more torque. Nothing wrong with that, and even the best rider in the world can't magically increase an SV's torque curve.

also please define what you think is out growing a motorcycle. I'm really intrigued

I personally don't care what you buy and you should get what you want. But this is the thing annoying me that you keep saying you've out grown a 650 and that you will an r6

Straight line fast it lacks, and coming out of a curve, it has plently of low end TQ, but once the rev's get higher (passed 6k) it doesnt feel very strong. ALso when crusing at about 70-75 MPH I'm at about 6 RPM (has stock sprocket size) & idk it's hard to explain...they engine fees like its working harder then need be, it's very buzzy. If that makes sense ?

1) I can't believe no one called the OP out on his claim that an R1 has "40% more power" than an SV. It's more like 80% more, and that is if your SV is tuned to perfection, and the R1 is kind if a dog.

2) "outgrow" is surely a poor choice of words, but if the OP wants more horsepower for street use, an R1 may or may not be the best way to get it. I think he really wants more torque. Nothing wrong with that, and even the best rider in the world can't magically increase an SV's torque curve.

1) someone did and i think it was like 200% lol

2) dead on

Straight line fast it lacks, and coming out of a curve, it has plently of low end TQ, but once the rev's get higher (passed 6k) it doesnt feel very strong. ALso when crusing at about 70-75 MPH I'm at about 6 RPM (has stock sprocket size) & idk it's hard to explain...they engine fees like its working harder then need be, it's very buzzy. If that makes sense ?

you've just described a v twin motor lol. My VFR is pretty much the same

1) I assumed the R1 had 150 HP and the SV had like 90 - but my assumption was slightly off.

2) I'd like more high end power, the SV has decent low end TQ.

#1 - I did in post #13

your exactly right - no one ever uses any bike to it's 100% full potential & Im looking for something with more power. I have to decide rather quick thou bec the R1 might be sold by wednesday.

I am looking into the R6, I have found a few thou.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/3904744463.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/3889106271.html < -  salvage title thou :-(

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/3841067231.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/3832886412.html < - rebuilt motor, salvage title :-(

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/3853016325.html  -seems like a good deal

This goes for you, and anyone else on here really...

Use searchtempest for searching craigslist. You can enter a zipcode and radius to search. I usually put in 150 mile radius, easier to find good deals that way instead of just searching by individual city in craigslist. It's not perfect (some dead links from old posts), but it's better IMO:

http://www.searchtempest.com/results.php?search_string=yamaha+r6&category=8&Region=na&cityselect=zip&location=43081&maxDist=150&region_us=1&srchType=&keytype=adv&minAsk=&maxAsk=&subcat=mca

1) I assumed the R1 had 150 HP and the SV had like 90 - but my assumption was slightly off.

2) I'd like more high end power, the SV has decent low end TQ.

whoever said 200% more is doing their math differently than me.  I am working under the assumption that "100% more" would be double the horsepower, because you're taking 100% of what the SV has, and then adding 100% more to that.

I gave the R1 like 130hp to be conservative, and the SV 72hp to be generous.  72 x 1.8 (180%) = 130.     180%-100% = 80% more.

...but anyway

How much faster than 135 do you want to go?    You're saying that cruising at 6k rpm doesn't feel right, but that's roughly halfway up the SV's tach.  Sounds about right to me. 

I agree that the SV would be virtually perfect if you could up it to 85-90hp at the wheel, but 70 at the wheel is still very adequate.  You want more torque, gear it up.  You want more top-speed, you can try gearing it up...

whoever said 200% more is doing their math differently than me.  I am working under the assumption that "100% more" would be double the horsepower, because you're taking 100% of what the SV has, and then adding 100% more to that.

I said 200%. I was doing it like this (don't have a clue if its right or wrong): If 50% of 100 is 50. 100% of 100 is 100 so 200% of 100 is 200. Clear as mud?

I said 200%. I was doing it like this (don't have a clue if its right or wrong): If 50% of 100 is 50. 100% of 100 is 100 so 200% of 100 is 200. Clear as mud?

I think we're getting tripped up on the difference between saying "the R1 has 200% of the horsepower an SV has" verus saying "The R1 has 100% MORE horsepower."

so 200% of 72 = 144 (200/100 = 2.  2 x72 = 144)

100% MORE than 72 also = 144, because I'm starting with 72 (100% of the SV's power), and then adding 100% of 72 to that.

He'll outgrow the 900 in 8 months.

I realize you're joking, but I feel like you can get used to any amount of power, which makes it sort of futile to constantly be "upgrading."  The most powerful bike I have owned was my 600RR, but after a full weekend of racing it, 110 horsepower didn't feel that fast anymore.

Maybe an R1 or a ZX14 would prove me wrong, but I feel like you'll get used to any amount of power if you ride often enough.   I used to joke that I drove my Ranger so that my EX500 felt fast, and I rode the EX500 on the street so that my F2 felt fast on the track. 

I miss the hooligan factor of having a street bike to rip through the gears on highway ramps, but I have more fun on my 6hp bike than I did taking my EX500 to the 'big' tracks.

I'm not saying that big bikes aren't good fun, but just consider how much you're going to spend to get something else that you'll eventually "out-grow" as well.  The OP said $30-$40 more each MONTH for insurance.  Plus it's not going to be as good on gas.  It's going to be easier to crash (spinning up that rear is a serious possibility), easier to get a ticket on, etc.

100hp is about all I'd want for street use.  I'd settle for SV650 power/torque.

I realize you're joking, but I feel like you can get used to any amount of power, which makes it sort of futile to constantly be "upgrading."  The most powerful bike I have owned was my 600RR, but after a full weekend of racing it, 110 horsepower didn't feel that fast anymore.

Maybe an R1 or a ZX14 would prove me wrong, but I feel like you'll get used to any amount of power if you ride often enough.   I used to joke that I drove my Ranger so that my EX500 felt fast, and I rode the EX500 on the street so that my F2 felt fast on the track. 

I miss the hooligan factor of having a street bike to rip through the gears on highway ramps, but I have more fun on my 6hp bike than I did taking my EX500 to the 'big' tracks.

I'm not saying that big bikes aren't good fun, but just consider how much you're going to spend to get something else that you'll eventually "out-grow" as well.  The OP said $30-$40 more each MONTH for insurance.  Plus it's not going to be as good on gas.  It's going to be easier to crash (spinning up that rear is a serious possibility), easier to get a ticket on, etc.

100hp is about all I'd want for street use.  I'd settle for SV650 power/torque.

being that said...something along the range of an R6 of a GSXR 600 etc, would be more of a compromise?