Motoseries July 27-28

blue03636

I feel with something as small as swing arm angle, you won't be able to tell the difference either way. I know I wouldn't be able to lol. I'd put the time and effort towards messing with suspension tinkering even stuff like shock length and ride heights front and rear.

My plan was going to be:

Run a few laps to get everything warmed up

Verify sag front and rear; adjust if needed.

Measure swing arm angle fully unloaded.

Adjust shock length until swing arm angle is in the 12.5* range, splitting it up and riding along the way to see how it feels on drive out of the carousel and 13. 

Really, I'd be jacking up the rear ride height(assuming that it isn't already in the range I'm looking for) just using the swing arm angle as my gauge instead of eye to eye length of the shock.

Forks have already been lowered in the triple, so if it does need raised up, it would be leveling out the bike.  I compared the shock eye to eye length to the stock one I pulled off and it was longer(dont remember values), just wanted to use swing arm angle as my basis since I can find better recommendations on that than shock eye to eye length.

the penske has ride height adjustment, hopefully I won't need spacers because I just gave a couple away to someone with a stock shock

Mine's at stock height right now which is all the way down,it was at 19mm when I bought the bike,7mm above Penske's max. height.

the penske has ride height adjustment, hopefully I won't need spacers because I just gave a couple away to someone with a stock shock

Just an fyi, shims and lengthening the shock will do 2 different things. I had a length discussion this weekend about this.

You talking using preload or actual shock length/ride height adjustment?

Jeff, so the shock only has 12 mm of overall travel. I'll have to check mine tonight.

Edited by RHill

The shock height adjuster on the bottom eyelet.

That is weird, in either case(shims or adjuster) you are just expanding the length of the shock from one mount to the other; and everything else remaining the same, increasing ride height and swing arm angle. Only way to really adjust them independently, from what I understand, is an adjustable swing arm pivot.

Thinking about it more I was wrong in my previous post.

Spacers are changing your top eye location, adjusting the shock changes the length.

If the shock only worked in a straight line, and the clevis was inline with the body of the shock, then it would be the same. Neither of those are true, so they will have slightly different impacts; however, I doubt it would be too much of a difference since the angle between the clevis and shock is not really exttreme...at least on gsxrs.

I have been messing with mine to get it to work better. After chatting with Aaron we went back to stock on the front (10mm fork showing) and jacked the back up with a 10mm spacer. I'm going to be adding another 2mm spacer today. The bike works good just doesn't turn in as quick as I would like so I will be adding spacers until I get what I want. He said to remove the 5mm I had added to shock length as it messes with the swingarm angle and we didn't want that. Matt, if you want since we are on the same bike you could take mine out for a few laps to see how you like it. Granted you will have to find out the difference in tire height between mine and yours to see where to be.

You freakingsonsabitches now have me pondering my suspension setup. Goddammit! Guess more stuff to tinker with on Saturday. Dicks.

If it's not doing anything you don't want it to or not doing what you want it to, I wouldn't mess with it.

If it's not doing anything you don't want it to or not doing what you want it to, I wouldn't mess with it.

I think mine turns in pretty well, but I did notice that Kevypoo's bike turns in a little better, especially into 1 and 5 at Nelson. I know I have room to tinker, as I recall a few folks talking gixxer suspension geometry on '06-07s. I forget what my rear is at, but the front is flush and should probably be -5mm.