How To Clean Rust Off Of Your Gun

silentcropduster

Depends on the rust....is it pitted or just light surface rust.  For the surface stuff I will take some JB 80 and spray the area and let it sit for a while.  Then any surface rust will come off pretty easy by using a rag to wipe it off.  Then I leave a nice coating of the oil on the spot and do it again.  Careful using anything like one of those green pads for cleaning dishes or anything abrasive as it can easily take the bluing off....ask me how I know....lol

I have taken to using some of those silicon impregnated socks to keep my rifles and handguns in.  Seems to keep them nicely lubed and rust free.

Depends on the rust....is it pitted or just light surface rust.  For the surface stuff I will take some JB 80 and spray the area and let it sit for a while.  Then any surface rust will come off pretty easy by using a rag to wipe it off.  Then I leave a nice coating of the oil on the spot and do it again.  Careful using anything like one of those green pads for cleaning dishes or anything abrasive as it can easily take the bluing off....ask me how I know....lol

I have taken to using some of those silicon impregnated socks to keep my rifles and handguns in.  Seems to keep them nicely lubed and rust free.

the rust is OFF, but now I have a slight mark on the gun (see above pic) how do I get that off? The gun is stainless, not blued.

Not sure why it stained. Birchwood Casey B&R Remover is mostly phosphoric acid with a little bit of sulphuric and oxalic acid. Guessing that it might have picked up color from the rust or a dye in the microfiber cloth.

Try standard cleaning methods that won't harm finish and might remove the stain. Assuming first that it is an easy surface stain. Either the flitz or similar to polish it off, or a brush with bore solvent or similar to lift it off.

edit: do not try to bleach it. Chlorine isn't good for corrosion resistant steel or stainless steel or titanium. That includes any cleaners, solvents or other products that might have chlorine in them. Tap water with it's chlorine is never used on titanium. Even a sharpie pen has to be validated to not contain chlorine.

Edited by ReconRat

• 2 weeks later...

I had light surface rust on a parkerized revolver from what I suspect was due to being stored in a foam lined case. I cleaning with CLP sprayed on some cleaning patches and wiped down with Hoppe's oil. Then a second wipe down with Hoppe's #9 and a final wipe down with Hoppe's oil.

Before:

smith%2520and%2520wesson%2520Victory.JPG

AFTER:

IMG_0247.JPG?gl=US

• Upvote 1