Accident Waitinng To Happen.

Kmanlyst

I saw a presentation that talked about these intersections at an engineering seminar. They are supposed to be the real deal. I remember when they were installing the Sawmill Road interchange. There was some public scrutiny, but it has worked out pretty well. The single point urban interchange and the diverging diamond interchange are far more efficient in heavy traffic volumes than the old clover leaf designs.

I am sure you will be entertained until the traveling public gets used to it.

i think the biggest benefit here is that if you can make an unopposed left getting on the freeway. the way it is now, if youre coming westbound on roberts and want to go south on 270 (or eastbound on roberts and want to go north on 270) you have to turn left across oncoming traffic. when traffic gets heavy it gets backed up because everyone has to wait for the light (or because douchebags enter the intersection when they have nowhere to go and end up blocking any left turns). 

with the new design, you only have to wait for the one light at either end of the bridge, then you can just cruise and make a left onto the freeway without any oncoming traffic.

it's not too complex to drive through either. you dont even really notice youre on the other side of the road

Edited by John

Nice concept, but too many lights. It would be more expensive, but I think two levels would be more efficient. No need for so many stops or cross traffic. Upper level goes one way while the lower level goes the other way.

I'm thinking the same thing. Or 2 small bridges at either end of those diamonds to allow cars to go under/over and get rid of the stop lights.

Anyone suggesting the old clover leaf has obviously not seen the volume of traffic going through that area. They just spent a shit tone of $$ at the northern intersection of 270/71 to get rid of a clover leaf and put in some big ass bridges. It's pretty cool and flows much better now.

I literally just rolled through one of these in Lexington, Ky a few min ago and it wasn't confusing at all and traffic flowed nicely.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I am sure for most of us it will be easy, but for people like my wife who had issues trying to get to 270......from the Easton Mall.

why not just put a 4 leaf clover in instead

HAHAHAHAHA Wake up man, the 60's called and wants their high volume low car insurance rates back!

and  +1, what moron thought...hey, I have an idea, lets merge cars like you shuffle a deck of cards.

what could possibly go wrong?