Cinci To Deals Gap - Back Way?

Mick783

Trying to avoid being on 75 any longer than I have to, any recommendations on scenic routes that aren't too far out of the way? I tried to search but didn't find much.

Also open to other destinations like Bristol or Blue Ridge routes, planning to take a 3-4 day trip down in September. Thanks in advance.

Whichever way you go make a point of going through Middlesboro Kentucky. It would be on highway 25E this will take you through one of the 3 Cumberland Gap tunnels. The other 2 are in Virginia on Interstate 77. 25E is a main road like 23 in Ohio and it takes you to small towns and some cool scenery. Look it up on a map.

Man I wish there was a route to the smokies that would take you around Cincinnati. You could go through hocking hills to the midland trail, rt 60, that goes path rough some real nice areas, including Summerville lake and new river gorge bridge. That's the LONG way around though.

Just a suggestion, but Deal's Gap just isn't what it used to be..  

421 is a great road to ride, it starts getting better on the northern side of Harlan.  If you haven't been to Shady Valley (the Snake) you should try it.  The section between Shady and Mountain City rival Deal's Gap in every way without the traffic and hassles.  

A favorite ride of mine:  KY27 to Paris, KY.  Pick up 460 and head east.  Follow it all the way to 23/119.  Follow 119 to Whitesburg, KY.  119 gets really funky there.  Pick up 160 and head south (over Black MTN) through Big Stone Gap, then back on to 23 towards Gate City.  Pick up 421 there, and head to Bristol, Tenn and on to Shady Valley.  

Just a suggestion, but Deal's Gap just isn't what it used to be..  

421 is a great road to ride, it starts getting better on the northern side of Harlan.  If you haven't been to Shady Valley (the Snake) you should try it.  The section between Shady and Mountain City rival Deal's Gap in every way without the traffic and hassles.  

A favorite ride of mine:  KY27 to Paris, KY.  Pick up 460 and head east.  Follow it all the way to 23/119.  Follow 119 to Whitesburg, KY.  119 gets really funky there.  Pick up 160 and head south (over Black MTN) through Big Stone Gap, then back on to 23 towards Gate City.  Pick up 421 there, and head to Bristol, Tenn and on to Shady Valley.  

Thanks for the tip I need to take a look at this route. I am not a big dragon fan myself but I do like the cherohala skyway and wolf pen gap etc., but my buddy has never been so we will get his sticker and then move on.

Edited by Mick783

I just rode that last week, I don't get why everyone is so high on that road.

When we went we had it all to ourselves, on the dragon we kept getting stuck behind cars and cruisers. North Georgia in general was great.

This looks awesome I would love to take this down, might have to try to convince my friend to do this instead.

When we went we had it all to ourselves, on the dragon we kept getting stuck behind cars and cruisers. North Georgia in general was great.

Yea, I loved Northern Georgia, just not that one road. I like it better down there actually.

Years ago, I had a friend who moved to Wallen, TN. which is right over the parkway from the gap. Me and a bud would ride down there multiple times a year trying all kinds of routes. We came up with a few good ones that are 10-12 hours from Cincy to the gap. 45 minutes south east of cincy via the AA, then all twisty fun from there. I'm thinking 7 and 11 are a couple of the routes, but I'd have to dig out the old maps and look at the highlighted roads to see what all was involved. Yeah, it was that long ago..so I guess they might not be as good anymore.

I do recall being on 25E the weekend they opened the tunnel. :lolhitsign:

Man I wish there was a route to the smokies that would take you around Cincinnati. You could go through hocking hills to the midland trail, rt 60, that goes path rough some real nice areas, including Summerville lake and new river gorge bridge. That's the LONG way around though.

Rte. 35 at Dayton pick up Rte. 68 in Xenia, turns into Rte 32, back to 62/68/52, then 68 which drops you on I75 at Lexington...Many alternate routes at this point too, if you do not want to pick up I75, map it out first though, many of the roads through KY can get you turned in the wrong direction, without gps/cell service.