Dispute A Charge On A Credit Card

2talltim

Long story short, when we were in Colorado my son left his suffed dog at the hotel. When they found it they ask if we wanted it shipped to us. Well he wanted it back but I wasn't paying more than $10 to do it, so my wife told them to ship it via mail in a large envelope and gave them a credit card number it do it. We got it today and what they did was take it to a UPS store had them pack it and ship it to us for $28.88 the recipt was in the box and was charged by the UPS store to her card via "key entered". So how would you handle this? It wasn't the UPS stores fault by they are the ones that charged the card, and the hotel was authorized to charge the card but only up to $10 not sure how to handle this.

It seems there was a communication

breakdown between your wishes

and the employee sent to the UPS

store. 

I would blow it off and chalk it up to

experience.  It's not like they had to

ship it, and didn't charge you for the

service.  The UPS store isn't going

to refund any money. 

I would let it go and forget it.  Life

is too short.

• Upvote 2

It seems there was a communication

breakdown between your wishes

and the employee sent to the UPS

store. 

I would blow it off and chalk it up to

experience.  It's not like they had to

ship it, and didn't charge you for the

service.  The UPS store isn't going

to refund any money. 

I would let it go and forget it.  Life

is too short.

This is the correct answer.

• Upvote 2

so the answer is ..over look incompetence?

she said specifically if it was more than $10 do not send it.

It wasn't incompetence, it was a mistake. A mistake made while trying to help you out. It wasn't like UPS gave them a cut of the action. You have to consider someone's motives when they f' up. Their motives were pure, get a little kid his teddy bear back. Cut them some slack, or a pay it forward or some other hippie shit. Let it go. Smile, your kid is happy.

Edit:  BTW, you owe them a couple of bucks for gas for going to the UPS store.

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 2

Incompetence? The hotel manager doesn't dictate shipping rates and your son wanted his toy. Eat the money and move forward. I overlook incompetence every day I leave my house. It's just how you deal with the outside world. Making a fuss over this is really going to get you nowhere. Smoke a joint, ask the missus for a blow-j and calm the fuck down.

slow clap

• Upvote 2

Dude F the UPS store, that place did some shadey shit to me too.  They charged me some ungodly amount to ship a SCT Tuner for my old truck, because they only gave me the corporate discount on the actual shipping and forgot to tell me that the box was like some crazy amount along with the bubble wrap etc.  By the time it was all said and done I had like 20 bux in shipping something the size of a shoebox to Louisiana, and was like WTF.  I was on the clock shipping it so didn't even take the time to argue and just paid it.

However, I will NEVER deal with them again and only use FedEx stores now.  

so the answer is ..over look incompetence?

she said specifically if it was more than $10 do not send it.

I fear there is little you can do about it, other than

give someone a piece of your mind. 

You'll get an,

"Oh sir, we're terribly sorry.  We misunderstood your

request and it was of our utmost importance to provide

you with exceptional customer service before, during,

and after your stay at our facilities.  Please accept our 

sincerest apologies in our misunderstanding of this

matter and the way in which we mishandled your request.

We strive to honor all reasonable requests of our guests

and with the human element in place, sometimes we

sadly fail to satisfy.  Please accept our offer of a $50

credit towards your future stay at any one of our

worldwide facilities.

Once again, we apologize for our mistake.

You were treated fairly and it was an honest mistake. They lost money sending an employee to ship it and come back. Definitely let this go.

Edit: $29 is a small price to pay to fix your mistake.

Edited by turnone

Long story short, when we were in Colorado my son left his suffed dog at the hotel. When they found it they ask if we wanted it shipped to us. Well he wanted it back but I wasn't paying more than $10 to do it, so my wife told them to ship it via mail in a large envelope and gave them a credit card number it do it. We got it today and what they did was take it to a UPS store had them pack it and ship it to us for $28.88 the recipt was in the box and was charged by the UPS store to her card via "key entered". So how would you handle this? It wasn't the UPS stores fault by they are the ones that charged the card, and the hotel was authorized to charge the card but only up to $10 not sure how to handle this.

If I was the manager, I would personally send

you a handwritten card and a note, with a crisp

new $20 bill, along with a discount offer of some

sort.

Your satisfaction with us would be very important

to me.

The $20 bill is a great idea.

if i were the manager, i think i would send that $20 bill, draw a veiny dong on it impaling itself into a dog, and write a message underneath saying "here's your 'suffed' dog, you ungrateful dickbutt".

....this is why i don't work for hotels, or just places in general where i have to be nice to people.  also, no, i have yet to draw an autonomous dong with a penchant for dog fucking. on a $20 bill.

• Upvote 1

C'est la view.  Don't leave stuff behind.  They tried to help you out and didn't live up to your expectations.  Most places would just throw the thing away.

They tried to help - don't make then regret trying to help.

• Upvote 1

I guess you guys are right they did do it as a favor but I kinda wish they would have just thrown it away. Guess I just don't like getting overcharged for anything you have to admit almost $30 to ship a box the size of a cereal box is ridiculous. Lesson learned, moving on.

sent via GS3

• Upvote 2

UPS store is expensive. They aren't cash cows though and everyone birches about he cost of shipping a box. Wanna save money, use your own box and packaging materials. Then take the the post office This is what I do because they feel like a ripoff.

But ups has some steeply discounted rates to large business customers. I shipped a box that was almost 2.5' cubed and weighed more than 50 lbs from Ohio to Michigan for $15 at one of my clients. I couldn't believe it was so cheap. Ups store would have been closer to a hundred I'm sure.

UPS store is expensive. They aren't cash cows though and everyone birches about he cost of shipping a box. Wanna save money, use your own box and packaging materials. Then take the the post office This is what I do because they feel like a ripoff.

But ups has some steeply discounted rates to large business customers. I shipped a box that was almost 2.5' cubed and weighed more than 50 lbs from Ohio to Michigan for $15 at one of my clients. I couldn't believe it was so cheap. Ups store would have been closer to a hundred I'm sure.

I shipped a transmission for $75 via ups.  it was $50 for some fairings.  weight plays less of a role than the size of the box.

I bought a generator on ebay for $280 shipped.  free shipping in other words.  dude needed a dolly to get it to my door.

Edited by serpentracer

Just though, maybe this hotel had a "business center"  with UPS and they already had all the UPS packing and labeling stuff. So it would be easier on the staff if they just used what they had in lobby instead of driving to post office?

I guess you guys are right they did do it as a favor but I kinda wish they would have just thrown it away. Guess I just don't like getting overcharged for anything you have to admit almost $30 to ship a box the size of a cereal box is ridiculous. Lesson learned, moving on.

sent via GS3

I understand your frustration.  I'm also impressed you're willing to accept the advice given... which is a refreshing change here... We're more used to someone coming here asking for advice then bitching us out because logic hurts their brain and they wind up doing his own thing anyway.

Another option, in the future, is to buy your own shipping label and send it to them.  That way you have more control over the shipping method/cost.

^ well moving on is pretty much the only real option. bitching about it is just going to fall on deaf ears.   and everyone that learns of the situation will think of him the same way...asshole. I'm  not calling you an asshole scott.  lol.  but Im sure people on the receiving end  would have if you made a complaint.

Edited by serpentracer