New Chain Tension

Strictly Street

My chain was adjusted by Hoblick a few weeks ago, worked great. But then it seemed to stretch out a lot since then in just that short amount of time and started dragging on the swingarm, again. Ok, time to break down and buy a chain.

So I haz a sad due to the fact Hoblick moved to the great white north. So I take it to a local shop. They advise me that for my old bike with the oddball 630 chain the only one they have is the nice "O" ring chain. Ok, at least I won't have to mess with it, fine.

So they put the chain on and send me on my way.

I notice the bike seems to be laboring just a touch at low revs on the way home. Thinking this is just a side effect of a new chain I don't worry about it as "The Guy" at the shop says it will stretch out "a lot" in the first few hundred miles.

I look at the new chain and notice that it is tight, real tight. Up/down play is less than 1/4 inch on the top side of the chain. Which I'm sure is even less when I'm on the bike.

So the question is, Is this normal? Is the chain too tight? What does that do to the bearings on the transmission shaft?

Any tips or advice on this one?

Edit:

Adjuster is all the way to the end.

No adjustment possible except to add a link, which of course I don't have.

How quick does a new chain stretch?

Edited by Strictly Street

Too tight. Too short. Chains don't stretch. Dude is a hack.

Now I'm even more confident in my response...

You want adjustment when you cut a new chain, ideally close to the inner stop, (allowing for room to adjust out later) but not jammed right up against it...

I'd take it back with your concerns, and hopefully he will make it right.

So I call them and they say bring it in, so I do.

The new guy looks at it and sez "yep, too tight".

So they pulled the chain off and he said it looked like the guy cut off 2 links. He counted 92 instead of 94.

He put a new chain on it and cut off one link so the adjuster was closer to the minimum.

Now it seems tight but with some play 1/2 to 3/4 on top which is what I expected. But not being a mechanic, who knew?

It did take two trips but it's nice they stood by the work. Runs better too without the extra drag from either old chain.

So, problem solved.

Thanks for the help guys! :)

Edited by Strictly Street

which is what causes the "stretch"

yeah techinically its not stretching, but thats the effect

This.  The chain really wears, but it appears as "stretching."

So I call them and they say bring it in, so I do.

The new guy looks at it and sez "yep, too tight".

So they pulled the chain off and he said it looked like the guy cut off 2 links. He counted 92 instead of 94.

He put a new chain on it and cut off one link so the adjuster was closer to the minimum.

Now it seems tight but with some play 1/2 to 3/4 on top which is what I expected. But not being a mechanic, who new?

It did take two trips but it's nice they stood by the work. Runs better too without the extra drag from either old chain.

So, problem solved.

Thanks for the help guys! :)

I usually measure the slack on the bottom, and I go for around 3/4" and that's supposed to be checked in multiple spots around the chain.

Can you get your hands on an owners manual? Proper chain tension depends on the suspension geometry of your particular machine. The idea is that the chain should not become the limiting factor in the travel of the suspension. Too loose is way better than too tight.

Glad you got it fixed.

Running with a chain to tight will prematurely wear the chain, sprockets and bearings. 

Get your owners manual out and read it. Basic maintenance items like the chain and oil you should know how to do yourself. Its easy, doesnt take much time nor tools. Probably could be handled with the included tool kit in a pinch.

Craig

I knew to tight would cause problems but I also knew that I didn't have a chain tool and the shop wanted the price of a chain tool to install it.

That and the new chain would be too long as they come in standard sizes/lengths. So the math said take it to them for the whole deal, so I did.

I do wonder why the first guy put it on so tight. If a non-mechanic like me noticed it I wonder why he didn't?

Anyway a quick look at the pecs show 30 - 45 mm slack. Which if google is correct is about 1 to 1 1/2 inches.

Which is just about what it is measuring it by eye although not exact is pretty close.

This is much better than dragging on the swingarm which it was before this adventure.

Too tight a chain will also eventually cause the counter shaft seals to leak oil, and nobody wants that

THIS is the first thing I thought of when I read the first post. You dont want oil dumping in the path of the rear tire, nor starving the vitals of their precious lube.

Street bikes vary in chain tension, but not by that much. I set mine to spec with 3/4" or so of slack measured from the top run. Glad the shop made things right, but a bit scary it happened in the first place. Good on ya for questioning the setup, could have eventually caused some damage or worse yet....a crash.