A Dozen Deadly Motorcycle Myths

Casper

Another motorcycling safety myth is the use of ear plugs. Some people believe that wearing ear plugs or other hearing protection is unsafe. Motorcycle riders can safely wear ear plugs and safely navigate traffic while hearing adjacent vehicles. Wearing ear plugs is very safe, and it reduces rider fatigue on long rides.

Another motorcycling safety myth is the use of ear plugs. Some people believe that wearing ear plugs or other hearing protection is unsafe. Motorcycle riders can safely wear ear plugs and safely navigate traffic while hearing adjacent vehicles. Wearing ear plugs is very safe, and it reduces rider fatigue on long rides.

I swear by ear plugs.  EAR brand (the traditional yellow ones made from memory foam - not the newer tapered / round tip ones).  I can discern noises from the wind noise just as easily with the ear plugs as without - actually more easily. 

I like wearing ear plugs too, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal. Inhibits your ability to hear emergency vehicles.

The ticket is cheaper than a set of hearing aids.

I can hear emergency vehicles just fine.  In fact I can hear them sooner than cars because I'm just in a helmet not in a car, and I don't have music going.

How well do you think you can hear an emergency siren after an hour or two of riding and all you can see is the eeeeeeeee of tinnitus.

Maybe I should get a doctor's note stating that riding without ear plugs gives me tinnitus which impairs my hearing.  I need ear plugs to prevent tinnitus.

Edited by Scruit

I heard this too.

It is illegal.  Minor Misdemeanor (like a speeding ticket)  http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511.84

You would have to REALLY piss off a cop for him to write you for it.   I got pulled over last year doing about 80 in a 50 zone.  I removed my helmet and earplugs right in front of him and he didn't bat an eye.

It is illegal.  Minor Misdemeanor (like a speeding ticket)  http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511.84

You would have to REALLY piss off a cop for him to write you for it.   I got pulled over last year doing about 80 in a 50 zone.  I removed my helmet and earplugs right in front of him and he didn't bat an eye.

Don't get me wrong, I always use them. I hated having my ears ring after a ride.

I always wear earplugs, and I can hear adjacent vehicles (especially emergency vehicles with sirens). After reading about the longterm effects of motorcycle riding on hearing loss, I will always wear them. After all, who really strictly follows our speed limits?

Edited by Connie14

you're under the mistaken belief that LEO's know the law.

They know what they see all the time.  Theft.  Possession of drugs. speeding.  Etc.  They're not going to know the code section for wearing ear plugs.  They could mention it on the ticket and the prosecutor could charge you after-the-fact though.

I always wear earplugs, and I can hear adjacent vehicles (especially emergency vehicles with sirens). It is illegal to wear earplugs, earbuds, or earphones in both ears while operating a motor vehicle. I googled Ohio Revised Code last year while researching the topic. After reading about the longterm effects of motorcycle riding on hearing loss, I will always wear them. After all, who really strictly follows our speed limits?

I've worked on a steel mill and I know that I could hear conversations better in a loud environment with earplugs that without.  When it's really loud you exceed your ear's ability to hear any more sound.  It's the human form of audio clipping on a microphone (where the sound you are recording is too loud and comes through distorted)   Reduce the overall sound level and you restore the ear's ability to discriminate.

you're under the mistaken belief that LEO's know the law.

They know what they see all the time.  Theft.  Possession of drugs. speeding.  Etc.  They're not going to know the code section for wearing ear plugs.  They could mention it on the ticket and the prosecutor could charge you after-the-fact though.

I'm sure they could.  I'll take my chances.  

Here's how the story goes:

:riding:

:popo: 

:thefinger:

:rulez:

:bla:

:slap:

:mugshot:  

:broke:  

:cry:  

• Upvote 3

I'm half way there...

In all seriousness, yes you can turn a bike at any speed by shifting your weight.....it is just slow as shit compared to knocking the tires out from under the CG by countersteering.  Either case you are doing the same thing, moving the CG to the inside of the turn.  Shifting weight does it slowly because you are only 1/3 of the weight of the bike, so the CG is shifting 1/3 of the distance you can shift your body's CG.

So you have two offers on the table crackass.  One nets you a complete racing package and the other gets you an all expenses paid trip to a professional racing school.

Which one are you choosing?

:lol:

wgas what the law says? What's legal isn't always right, and what's illegal isn't always wrong....

If your experience is improved with the use of ear plugs, use them. I personally use them on long rides.

totally agree.   I just think it's best to be aware of the potential consequences so that you're making a fully informed decision.

I'd rather have a minor misdemeanor than hearing loss, but it's also my job to make sure the minor misdemeanors get enforced. If it's a bad law, that's a legislative problem, not a judicial problem.  The system is far from perfect, but it's the best system we've got...

totally agree.   I just think it's best to be aware of the potential consequences so that you're making a fully informed decision.

I'd rather have a minor misdemeanor than hearing loss, but it's also my job to make sure the minor misdemeanors get enforced. If it's a bad law, that's a legislative problem, not a judicial problem.  The system is far from perfect, but it's the best system we've got...

Law enforcement has discretion regarding when and how to enforce laws... you know this to be the case, you aren't required to cite every jaywalker, speeder, or curfew breaker. 

Bullshit laws can be, and are overlooked, and unenforced.

Edited by magley64

Leaning a bike does not cause it to turn. DON'T take your hands of of the bars. Hold them rigidly in place and try to lean the bike into a "turn". Won't happen. Hang off the side of the bike and hold the handlebars locked straight. Nothing happens. How can people be so exposed on a such a powerful machine and not comprehend the basics of how it works? I have no skill, no strength, and no finesse, but at least I comprehend how to make it go, stop, and turn.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by porschefan