What Is The Law For Travel With...

Hoblick

we are planning a cross country trip this coming summer.  plan to throw the bike in the bed of the truck  and do stops at national parks, and different places we want to go.

we are going to be camping out of the bed of the truck maybe half of the trip.  some times in national parks.  we will both be concelaed carrying where permitted.  but i would also like to throw my shotgun in the truck as a just incase scenario for aggressive animals that decide our truck/tent would be a great thing to ambush. 

whats the laws with carrying a shotgun across the country?  firearms in national parks?  

No major laws as far as shotguns other than while driving in vehicle your shotgun must be unloaded and the ammunition stored separate from the gun. As far as in national parks that will all depend on the individual park regulations.

You will need to seek out info on a state by state basis. Packing.org was the best source when I was investing a similar question a few years ago.

Guns in Federal are governed by the regulations of the state in which that park is located. This is new as of 2010. Previously restrictions in federal parks were much more onerous.

• Upvote 1

Wow, talk about overkill. I'm all for concealed carry and gun rights, but you can't manage a road trip without packing a backup SHOTGUN? Where's your first stop, south side Chicago? I just see so much more that could go wrong that right. You ever count on having a night cap at the campground?

Wow, talk about overkill. I'm all for concealed carry and gun rights, but you can't manage a road trip without packing a backup SHOTGUN? Where's your first stop, south side Chicago? I just see so much more that could go wrong that right. You ever count on having a night cap at the campground?

You don't watch NatGeo or Discovery channel do you?

Even a shotty may not "kill" a bear right away but it will at least help.  A handgun with a normal CC caliber won't do much except like Casper said, make it mad.

Op stated shotgun is for animal attacks. When you're camping in west-by-god, bears, coyotes, bobcats etc are a real and present danger.

LoL @ "overkill". It's a pair of handguns and a shotgun.

"I'm all for conceal carry, but..."   I love conversations that begin with that phrase.

Op stated shotgun is for animal attacks. When you're camping in west-by-god, bears, coyotes, bobcats etc are a real and present danger.

You don't watch NatGeo or Discovery channel do you?

Even a shotty may not "kill" a bear right away but it will at least help.  A handgun with a normal CC caliber won't do much except like Casper said, make it mad.

Oh please. I've taken moto trips all over the west, camped in plenty of campgrounds that had signs warning of active bears in the area, and never felt the threat of attack was so great I needed a shotgun to protect myself. Worst situation I ran in to was trying to leave a campsite in yellowstone one morning and there was a group of bison on the only road out. I stopped a good distance back and figured there was certainly not anything I was going to do about it. Got the camera out and took some pictures, then sat back and enjoyed the sunrise.  They woke up and made their way out in the the field to start their grazing before too long. Some day, I'll have to get those photos out of the shoe box and converted to digital.  I only bothered to scan two pics from that trip over the years.

stmarys.jpg

vfrpic1.jpg

You guys might be watching a bit too much of natgeo and discovery. :camping:

Campground =/= wilderness camping in a national park, where there is literally nothing for miles, you dig your own shutter and ranger rick ain't coming to help you. I saw plenty of black bear on a wilderness canoe trip up in Canada, thankfully from the canoe but the guides all had 12 ga shotguns slung at all times.

Campground =/= wilderness camping in a national park, where there is literally nothing for miles, you dig your own shutter and ranger rick ain't coming to help you. I saw plenty of black bear on a wilderness canoe trip up in Canada, thankfully from the canoe but the guides all had 12 ga shotguns slung at all times.

His post did not make me believe he would be doing long distance back country hiking and camping. He said truck based camping, which would have to be close to bike based camping for it to be an equal comparison. And that photo is a national park campground, Glacier.

When I did a 17 day canoe trip in the boundary waters canoe area as a boy scout in the 80's, we saw plenty of black bears. They woke us all up one night and had us banging pots and pans together to scare away one that was up in the tree trying to get to our food bags we had hanging in it. Not a single gun was along on that trip. My times have changed.

Ok poser, you bang your pots and pans, and he can bring his shotgun. Why oh why do you give a fat fuck if this guy wants to bring a shotgun camping? Is it so fucking dangerous that you just have to say something, or are you just an anti-gun troll clutching at your pearls because someone doesn't share your optimistic viewpoint concerning a highly motivated hungry or angry bear and his abhorrence to percussive cookware?

Ok poser, you bang your pots and pans, and he can bring his shotgun. Why oh why do you give a fat fuck if this guy wants to bring a shotgun camping? Is it so fucking dangerous that you just have to say something, or are you just an anti-gun troll clutching at your pearls because someone doesn't share your optimistic viewpoint concerning a highly motivated hungry or angry bear and his abhorrence to percussive cookware?

Anti gun troll? :lolhitsign:

You've obviously never met me, or read any of my posts on the topics of guns. I won't bother getting in to an internet forum gun owning/dick measuring contest, but I assure you, there's not many who have a bigger or fuller gun safe than me.

Where in any of my posts did I say anything about giving a rats ass about what he does? My specific comment was IN MY OPINION, there is way more negatives than positives that can come out of the situation, and the odds of needing it are so low, it's not worth any of the potential legal issues to bother with. If he feels it is necessary, I do hope he does more pre trip fact finding on the legal issues than asking on a state specific moto forum.

Now, you'll have to excuse me. They finally took the corn down around my in laws house. Our clear shooting range is now back to 1000 yards. I've got a buddy who wants to go sight in some rifles today. I'll try not to give him any undue advice.  :crazy: 

Anti gun troll? :lolhitsign:

You've obviously never met me, or read any of my posts on the topics of guns. I won't bother getting in to an internet forum gun owning/dick measuring contest, but I assure you, there's not many who have a bigger or fuller gun safe than me.

Where in any of my posts did I say anything about giving a rats ass about what he does? My specific comment was IN MY OPINION, there is way more negatives than positives that can come out of the situation, and the odds of needing it are so low, it's not worth any of the potential legal issues to bother with. If he feels it is necessary, I do hope he does more pre trip fact finding on the legal issues than asking on a state specific moto forum.

Now, you'll have to excuse me. They finally took the corn down around my in laws house. Our clear shooting range is now back to 1000 yards. I've got a buddy who wants to go sight in some rifles today. I'll try not to give him any undue advice.  :crazy:

Tiny Penis! Jacked up Toyota truck! And his Boys wear Mullets. 

Edited by KZ900