If Ohio Riders Was A Non-profit...

Casper

It's looking like this is going to happen. I've had several people offer to help which is fantastic. I'd love to get a legal presence involved if possible. 

One thing I think you might need to check is the way "members" promote on the site.  I believe that non-profit status is tricky if anyone is making any money or doing any kind of promotion for thier shop, company, etc.

One thing I think you might need to check is the way "members" promote on the site.  I believe that non-profit status is tricky if anyone is making any money or doing any kind of promotion for thier shop, company, etc.

Board members, yes. Forum members, no. Non-profits are definitely allowed to sell advertising/sponsorships. It's why I've called it sponsorship from the beginning. Switching to a non-profit has been in the back of my mind since the beginning of the site. 

It's looking like this is going to happen. I've had several people offer to help which is fantastic. I'd love to get a legal presence involved if possible. 

I'd like to offer, but I don't want to commit and then not be able to follow through.  I have some limited experience with the legal aspect of non-profits, but nothing extensive.

If you have specific questions and can do some of the preliminary research before asking, I can give an advisory opinion on issues occasionally.

Board members, yes. Forum members, no. Non-profits are definitely allowed to sell advertising/sponsorships. It's why I've called it sponsorship from the beginning. Switching to a non-profit has been in the back of my mind since the beginning of the site.

You sound like you have looked into this, so you're probably right. My wife is involved in some kind of non-profit with a forum as well and members are not allowed to do things like promotion for the benefit fo individual members, only for the benefit of the group. But I think there are different kinds of non-profits. Being in finance, I should know this stuff but I stay as far away from tax accounting as possible.

• 2 weeks later...