FZ-09 Demo @ Pony Powersports

SCQTT

Come ride this cool machine

Bring your gear and your MC license.

Big, grin inducing fun in a awesome looking, affordable package.

FZ09demo_zps26ae5cc9.jpg

Come by anytime.

10-8 M-F
9-6 SAT
10-5 SUN

Edited by Iron Pony

Nice bike!

But, is this only for new bikes sponsored by factory demo days?  Because when I was looking at a used FZ6 last month, I was told that IP doesn't permit pre-buy test rides of sport bikes...?

This is not a part of a demo day for Yamaha, but rather a dedicated FZ-09 demo bike. If the weather cooperates this bike will allow lots of people to take a spin on the FZ-09 before buying. Later the bike will be sold as a demo with the price being reduced accordingly.

Motorcycle demos in general are a challenge. Most people do not mind buying a car that has a few test drives on it and most cars are probably sold with at least some miles on them. Bikes are different most people that buy bikes want a un-ridden example or several hundred dollars discount because it has been used as a demo. You see the dilemma. We can't possibly have a demo example of every model and we cannot have every motorcycle on the floor with some demo miles on them.  

What you need to do to get a demo is come to a demo event (where the factory provides the bikes) or take a demo ride on a new model when it is introduced, such as this FZ-09.

The IP guy gives good advice here. By paying attention this summer I was able to demo ride every bike I was considering purchasing. And it was cool, no sales droid bugging me. Just factory reps answering questions. Kawasaki is a bit hard, but rumor has it that will be taken care of next year.

The red bike is still available for demos.

We have a charcoal metallic grey version with the blue/purple wheels for sale. It was just uncrated yesterday.

There is a waiting list and deposits on the first several red ones that come in, but you can have a grey one today.

Word is the orange version will not make it until after the new year.

I personally just rode it for the first time. Really cool sound with a nice little suberbike burble on trailing throttle. I expected it to be similar to the 05 Speed Triple I had, the power might be about the same but the Yamaha feels snappier. I know that seems like a strange word to use, but everything, steering & controls wise seems sharp and abrupt. The throttle seems "touchy" and a little over sensitive at first, but you get use to it in a few minutes.

In the upper gears it has great roll on. It does not hit like and open class sport bike, but it is very respectable. In the lower gears power delivery in "A" mode is brutal. It is an "at will" wheelie machine. You need to have it pointed in the right direction and your chest above the tank if you are going to whack the throttle open in 2nd or 3rd. If you whack it open in first you will loop it out. The gearing is so much lower it feels like you have dropped two FRONT teeth off a countershaft of a really fast 750.

If you put dirt bars on it with the short wheelbase and 17" front it would feel like an insanely fast and very quick turning supermoto.

I think it is a very cool bike, but when you consider all that performance for under $8,000, it is a game changer.

Call it whatever you want, Street fighter, standard or UJM..........Yamaha has thrown down the gauntlet.

• Upvote 2

I personally just rode it for the first time. Really cool sound with a nice little suberbike burble on trailing throttle. I expected it to be similar to the 05 Speed Triple I had, the power might be about the same but the Yamaha feels snappier. I know that seems like a strange word to use, but everything, steering & controls wise seems sharp and abrupt. The throttle seems "touchy" and a little over sensitive at first, but you get use to it in a few minutes.

In the upper gears it has great roll on. It does not hit like and open class sport bike, but it is very respectable. In the lower gears power delivery in "A" mode is brutal. It is an "at will" wheelie machine. You need to have it pointed in the right direction and your chest above the tank if you are going to whack the throttle open in 2nd or 3rd. If you whack it open in first you will loop it out. The gearing is so much lower it feels like you have dropped two FRONT teeth off a countershaft of a really fast 750.

If you put dirt bars on it with the short wheelbase and 17" front it would feel like an insanely fast and very quick turning supermoto.

I think it is a very cool bike, but when you consider all that performance for under $8,000, it is a game changer.

Call it whatever you want, Street fighter, standard or UJM..........Yamaha has thrown down the gauntlet.

Boy were you right, Scott.

Thanks for warming it up for me too :D

Motor sounded awesome for a 3 cyl. Would love to hear one with an aftermarket exhaust. Steering was real good, nice and tight. Low seat height was good too. Upper gears? I never got out of 4th! Lol. But no, when we turned onto red bank, I got to open it up a bit and thought I was going a bit faster than I actually was because of all the wind and just how quick it is. I actually got a little intimidated. I kept it standard and still tucked getting on it in 2nd and 3rd to keep it down.

Honestly, I didn't like the cluster placement. I couldn't shift just my eyes down to see it, I had to completely move my head. Eh, maybe not that big of a deal but just something that I particularly care for. Also, it could use some rearsets IMO. When we switched bikes, my right foot had a feel. Again, not a big deal but just something I would do to make it a little more comfortable.

Great bike, great price. 

I have gropro of the whole ride on the FZ and the bolt

1378558_10153418374010300_1553431357_n.j

Edited by Koreo