End of season Dragon run

Tonik

Leaving Cleveland tomorrow morning. Anyone wants to tag along that isn't an asshat is welcome.  This is a fast paced cruiser run, other guy is on a Ducati and he often shakes his head at stops because he has to hustle to keep up. 4 days, one day down, one day back. Hotels are 50 to 80 a night depending upon location.  Might still be a little wet early tomorrow morning, but the rest of it looks dry and fairly warm. 50's   Below are the two days in the middle.

http://goo.gl/maps/wKjIl

http://goo.gl/maps/XW75H

Edit:  We all have heated gear, so in the morning when it's cold as hell, we are still rolling. Something to keep in mind.

Edited by Tonik

I'll see if I can sneak this one past the wife. I've been gone a lot lately and she'll prolly have a shit over it.

If you do after the trip you have been on please let me know if she has any sisters!

From the looks of your route, I presume you've run these roads before.  In case you missed it though, the top of 197 is unpaved for about 2-3 miles.  From street view, it appears that it is hard-packed gravel so it shouldn't be an issue even if it's wet, but just giving you a heads up.  If you want to avoid the gravel, you can take either Ivy Hill or Holcombe Branch north from 197 to Paint Fork>Hortons Creek>Prices Creek  to 19E.

EDIT/ADD:  Other option would be take 209 north out of Waynesville to Hot Springs, then 70>208>212>352 and pick up 19W to Erwin

Edited by Bubba

From the looks of your route, I presume you've run these roads before.  In case you missed it though, the top of 197 is unpaved for about 2-3 miles.  From street view, it appears that it is hard-packed gravel so it shouldn't be an issue even if it's wet, but just giving you a heads up.  If you want to avoid the gravel, you can take either Ivy Hill or Holcombe Branch north from 197 to Paint Fork>Hortons Creek>Prices Creek  to 19E.

EDIT/ADD:  Other option would be take 209 north out of Waynesville to Hot Springs, then 70>208>212>352 and pick up 19W to Erwin

Yea, I have run all of this.  I know about that part on 197, it's actually really bad. Do not take a street bike down it. The real route bypasses that dirt road section, I forgot to update my google map link. I stay on the freeway a little longer, cut over on 19 and run 197 from there. It's pretty epic, awesome backwoods hillbilly twisty road. I love it.

Yea, I have run all of this.  I know about that part on 197, it's actually really bad. Do not take a street bike down it. The real route bypasses that dirt road section, I forgot to update my google map link. I stay on the freeway a little longer, cut over on 19 and run 197 from there. It's pretty epic, awesome backwoods hillbilly twisty road. I love it.

I like 197 too, I did not think the stone section was all that bad, and it saves several miles of back tracking...rode it twice, once on a Z1000, and once on the Speed Triple, muddy as hell this time...It is very narrow in parts, not sure how cars travel it...

How's the new ride, Tonik? Easy to acclimate to from the other one? Fuel economy? Creature comforts? I expect a write up when you return. Yes... I believe you exist to do my bidding. Get over it.

Yea, I got your bidding right here.

Today was really epic, clear roads, clear sky's. I had my grove on with the new bike. Right up until about half way down 215 right where it gets serious. I come out of a sharp left hander and quick check the mirror and see my buddy sliding through on his side with his Ducati doing the same. Was too late to see exactly what he did other than he f'd up considering I took the boat through and he wrecked a multistrada.

Says he just brain farted, panicked and target locked. Only thing I know for sure is he lost the front tire first. Been riding with him for years, he is a good rider, runs hard and safe. Till today.

Bikes ok. Plastics, ssddle bag need paint and he needs a mirror.

I have a set of mirrors for the first gen that I could have donated. Too bad he bought the shitty version.

I hope he's alright, though. Is this the Ducati guy you said that gives you grief for being too fast?

Appreciate the thought very much man.  He is all right, zero injuries. He is ATGATT. He toasted his Gerbing gloves too, that's another 200 bucks. I wouldn't call it grief, kind of a mixture of amazement/respect/thinks I'm crazy.

So here is your review:

The switch over from the Nomad to the Voyager was no big deal. The Voyager actually handles better, it is much better balanced, not at all top heavy like the Nomads are. A real dream in a parking lot, it just stays up and the front wheel does not dive if you over steer.  Shorter wheel base so it turns different, there were some timing issues I had to get used to. It seems to turn much quicker, I made a few lefts the first day around Cleveland that made me go WTF. But by the time we got to the Smokies I was fine with it, grinding the floorboards just like the good old days, hitting my planned lines pretty well. I was holding back most of the trip, new bike and all. But I got on it a few times, it will fly on the corners more than enough for my liking.

Kawasaki's big bikes get crap for fuel economy in my experience, and this one is no different. On the back roads/city low 40's which is ok.  But 80+ on the freeway its 36 mpg. So range is 180 to 200 or so. Should also keep in mind it was cold as hell, and my Nomad dropped 2 mpg's in cold weather, we shall see. But I knew that going in, so not sad. Every bike has it's thing you hate.

Creature comforts are awesome. The ergonomics on the controls are very well done. Easy thumb reach for cruise, stereo, lights, horn all that stuff.  There are two 'bigish' boxes next to each grip for the thumb controls. Three rows of toggle switches on each on, like turn signal switches, for all that stuff. It all makes sense, easy to hit with gloves. They nailed that part. Not thrilled with the horn button placement, it is left thumb top, but it is further to the right...they put the high beam switch closer to the grip. That seems backwards to me, put the horn where it is easiest to get to. But I just practiced honking at people on the way down randomly and got used to it.

The cruise control is awesome, I set it at 80 on 77 through the WV mountains. It held spot on the whole way, never moved at all. Can kick it off real easy, any brake, a tiny touch on the clutch or chop the throttle and it is off. Has the little +1 and +1 mph button to fine tune your speed. Very cool. Not sure yet what to do with my right hand when it is on, I tried whacking off but I'm left handed so that was weird. Hit the kill switch once by accident too.

The Stereo, Comm, WX, Aux, CB, IPod combo is very nice. From the factory only two front speakers, back two are add on's I will get.  It has a self adjusting mode for volume if you turn it on, faster you go louder it gets and you can adjust how aggressive it is at turning it up. Very handy.  Even on the freeway with the visor down on a full face it sounds pretty decent. I will probably get the comm kit for the wife and I an move the speakers to the helmets that way. Still undecided.  I use my phone in the Aux for tunes and nav, mount the phone on the handle bars.  But the IPod hook up is pretty cool. You stuff it into the left glove box and hook it up. The stereo then totally controls it, turns it on, off, song skip, charges it...all of that.

Gauges are good, mph, rpm, fuel and temp. Then a digital info center in the middle, odometer, trip a and b. MPG and range to empty. Lighting is outstanding, lots of very bright lcd's on the rear and the headlight and fog lights light up the road very well at night. Gotta have the key on to run the four way flasher though, that surprised me.

Windshield is too high, it is above my eyes and I hate that. Nothing an 80 dollar two inch shorter recruve won't fix. I always run that anyway. There is a spot where the fairing meets the lowers that is kind of angled back in towards the bike which leaves an area where the wind blasts through and hits me right on my knee. Very annoying when it is raining. Will have to get some of those little wing things for that spot, but it will be nice when it is hot out. The early versions of this bike (and my Nomad) had a real problem with heat especially at a light when the fan kicks in. They fixed it big time in 2011. Redid the fan shroud and added a second fan under the seat that kicks on with the radiator fan and it sucks all the hot air off the engine and blows it under the bike.  The exhaust pipes are redone also the back cylinder is tucked way into the frame and the front one actually goes kind of under the bike. Very far away from your right leg, no heat from them at all. I don't even think you could burn yourself on them unless you were really trying. I demo'd the bike in over 100 degree weather and it was awesome on heat. When the ride was over I sat in the lot and waited for the fan to come on just to make sure.

No luggage rack on the rear trunk, that is an add on that I will be getting. The trunk and two saddle bags are not the biggest out there but they are huge. I have all kinds of crap I carry around and it all fits in there. One disappointment is the trunk won't hold two full face helmets, that would have been handy.

The seat is amazing. Best seat I have ever had, not the best factory seat, it is the best period. I always have added Mustangs or Corbins. There is no need on this bike, it is perfect. 150 mile runs on the freeway my ass never went to sleep or complained. I don't think I am even going to have to add a backrest.  I'm 6 1, the layout on the bars to seat to floorboards is very good. I sit exactly as I want to, usually have to add risers to most bikes, won't have to this time.

Grips blow dead goats. They are comfy but too small in diameter. Kruy ISO's are needed for sure.

They f'd up the rear brake pedal again. It is too big and too far back, sucks up too much floorboard room. Not a big deal, there is a replacement for it that puts it where it needs to be.

Highway pegs might be a problem for short people on this bike. The crashbars are a bit forward. I got the longest Kury's offests there are so the pegs get back far enough for me. But someone shorter might be sad. A short person could do heal on the floorboards and toes on the pegs though.

Lots of get up and go for a big bike. I did some WOT speed shifts with the demo bike. It fly's. And a few times on the freeway this weekend I found myself wanting/needing to crank it at highway speeds to get away from being besides a truck to let them over....it just goes...even at 80.

Edited by Tonik