VFR Fan Boys. It's back

Al Z. Heimer

Nice!  Good looking bike with some nice upgrades.  And the dash looks good, but I don't see a gear position indicator (a fairly common after-market mod for older bikes like mine).

Nice!  Good looking bike with some nice upgrades.  And the dash looks good, but I don't see a gear position indicator (a fairly common after-market mod for older bikes like mine).

according to the article it does have one

according to the article it does have one

Thanks.  Missed that.  Doh.

"A new dashboard houses a digital speedometer/tachometer plus gear position indicator,ambient temperature gauge, fuel consumption informationand clock. There’s also an indicator for the 5-stage heated grips, which are fitted as standard"

Edited by JohnG

Why would they not keep (or go back to) the under-tail exhaust????

What kind of Engineer thinks, "let's give the bike a cool rear wheel and a single-sided swing-arm, and then put this huge and ugly stock exhaust can in front of it?" 

Under-tail is so much better looking, and more functional!!!

Why would they not keep (or go back to) the under-tail exhaust????

What kind of Engineer thinks, "let's give the bike a cool rear wheel and a single-sided swing-arm, and then put this huge and ugly stock exhaust can in front of it?" 

Under-tail is so much better looking, and more functional!!!

I completely agree. I've only ever owned bikes with an undertail exhaust but the majority of complaints was the typical "made it hotter to ride" so I'm wondering if that was why

Damn it, although I have never owned one, I do like the VFR (not the 1200), and what it has to offer, must be my age showing.

It would seem that the 1200 version has not done very well for them, this might be a good move for Honda?

I've always read specs of other bikes having upside down forks but I have no idea what that actually means. Can you give me the idiots guide? lol

Inverted forks have the larger outer tube attached to the triple tree and the smaller inner tube attached to the front axle. Theoretically, the "stronger" outer tubes will resist torsion and twisting better and give the clamps more to hold on to. providing a slightly more solid platform when they are attached to the frame at the triple tree rather than the inner tubes.

I've always read specs of other bikes having upside down forks but I have no idea what that actually means. Can you give me the idiots guide? lol

Your 6th gen has "right side up" forks and the VFR below has USD forks - Do you see?

post-20150-0-33447100-1372732826.jpg

5th gen "right side up" forks or "standard"

Frorkone.jpg

Edited by mello dude

Less unsprung weight.  The lighter part of the fork is the part that moves.  The result is more responsive suspension. 

Inverted forks have the larger outer tube attached to the triple tree and the smaller inner tube attached to the front axle. Theoretically, the "stronger" outer tubes will resist torsion and twisting better and give the clamps more to hold on to. providing a slightly more solid platform when they are attached to the frame at the triple tree rather than the inner tubes.

This, and there's a reduction in unsprung mass, because the outer tubes are larger in diameter, and made of a thicker material.

The "need" for that is probably nonexistent on a VFR though...  Honda was the last of the big 4 to go to inverted forks on their 600cc race replicas as well.  They claimed they tested inverted forks in 2003 and saw no appreciable performance advantage.  Just did in in 2005 to avoid being viewed as "behind."