Home Audio / Receiver Advice Needed

Ron505

It's been a loooooong time since I've purchased a new receiver. I am in the process on installing a fireplace below my TV on the wall, and want to make sure I run enough cables through the wall the first time. So can I run all of my HDMI cables to the receiver, then just one HDMI to the TV? As it is now, my receiver doesn't have any HDMI ports, thus the confusion.

I don't believe I need more than about 4 or maybe 5 HDMI ports. 5.1 is fine I think. I'd like to stay in the $300 range. It would be really nice to have wireless speakers as an option too. Any suggestions?

I know Tigerdirect always has really good deals on electronics, so I may buy from there.

Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

Depending how much of an audiophile you are you may want to try buying used to stay around your price range, but even then it may be hard especially if you want wireless. If you're not too picky with little details then a simple HTIB (home theater in box) may be just fine as well for you. Newegg also has good deals on electronics as well.

But Crazy is right, if you run everything through the receiver then it must be on to watch TV, but you may already know that. 

Edited by nautical1

Pretty sure if you do l it that way you will not be able to watch TV without the receiver on.

That is true but I don't see the point in spending the money on the receiver and not using it to its full capacity. Also, flat screen tv speakers are the worst

I've always used Onkyo and Denon for "budget" set ups. I've used the receiver as my hub in all of them except my current man cave set up for the sole reason that I got a cheaper Onkyo and it doesn't have capability for me to listen to audio through the AUX input while simultaneously watching a basketball game or playing video games which I do quite often

Here you go 

SONY STRDH540 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882105726

Factory refurb for $175 

I bought one of these in the spring for my bedroom. You do NOT have to turn on the receiver for auto HDMI switching, I don't need surround sound watching the news. All of my AV stuff is Sony ( TV, Blu-Ray, PS3, Satellite box ) and it integrates beautifully. All the HDMI components plug into back of the receiver and there is 1 HDMI cable between the receiver and TV.   

Pretty sure if you do l it that way you will not be able to watch TV without the receiver on.

Depends on the receiver. Mine has HDMI pass through which allows audio and video to pass when the receiver is off

Does anyone know if you have to have 7 speakers on a 7.1/7.2 receiver? Seems like the sound might be jacked up if you don't. I wonder if there is a setting that you can switch?

Everyone I've seen allows you to select what speakers you have so you don't need to have all 7. It will probably take the sound from the two channels turned off and send it to to the other channels. Assuming you use 5 channels.

Edited by OSUYZFR1

^ This. I've ran 5 speakers off of a 7 channel receiver before with no issues.

As have I.  There will be an option in the speaker setup for 5 or 7.1.  I've found that 7.1 in any room other than a basement theater conversion is way overkill, and in oddly shaped rooms it's hard as hell to maintain the separation necessary between speakers.

That being said, put me in the Denon/Onkyo column as well.  Audyssey for Denons is a wonderfully easy way of getting your setup configured right without having to fiddle with ten million different things.  It's basically a microphone that you place near you in the room, and it sets up the speakers based on what it hears in the spot where it's at.

As have I.  There will be an option in the speaker setup for 5 or 7.1.  I've found that 7.1 in any room other than a basement theater conversion is way overkill, and in oddly shaped rooms it's hard as hell to maintain the separation necessary between speakers.

That being said, put me in the Denon/Onkyo column as well.  Audyssey for Denons is a wonderfully easy way of getting your setup configured right without having to fiddle with ten million different things.  It's basically a microphone that you place near you in the room, and it sets up the speakers based on what it hears in the spot where it's at.

I would agree with this. A long time ago, I had a 7.1 setup in a bedroom and it was awful; you need plenty of room to separate the channels. That being said, if you find a 7.1 receiver you like, it's always nice to have room to expand your setup in the future. Also, the newer Onkyo's have Audyssey setup as well - very convenient.

That is true but I don't see the point in spending the money on the receiver and not using it to its full capacity. Also, flat screen tv speakers are the worst

I've always used Onkyo and Denon for "budget" set ups. I've used the receiver as my hub in all of them except my current man cave set up for the sole reason that I got a cheaper Onkyo and it doesn't have capability for me to listen to audio through the AUX input while simultaneously watching a basketball game or playing video games which I do quite often

Denon as budget, surely you jest?

I guess it depends how you define budget. When it comes to receivers my definition is $3-400

Was just wondering, because Denon has some pretty high end offerings. I bought mine years ago "still going strong", pretty sure I paid $400 plus for it even then.

Check out this Pioneer VSX-1023-K for $299 on woot. I haven't looked at reviews but it seems to be a decent receiver for the price based on the specs.

http://tech.woot.com/offers/pioneer-7-1-channel-network-a-v-receiver-3

I personally have the Onkyo HT-RC560 which was a great purchase for the price and has built in wifi and blutooth. I got a really good deal on woot a while back but as it sits now, it is double your price range. http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-RC560-7-2-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B00FQO60IQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1384539071&sr=1-1&keywords=ht-rc560