vibrating handlebars, what's the best fix?

Gixxus Christ!

I think I might try that www.vibranator.com. It gets installed without the piece inside the handlebar that bar ends normally screw into. One of mine is goofed up, maybe a stripped thread, and I figure it's coming out anyway. Plus it comes with a removal tool. Although my hammer-pull would probably work

Would filling the bars with sand not accomplish the same goal for basically free?

Or does the weight need to be at the very end of the bar? I am considering a bar-end mirror (to be legal - I just look over my shoulder she. I actually want to see behind me...)

Would filling the bars with sand not accomplish the same goal for basically free?

Or does the weight need to be at the very end of the bar? I am considering a bar-end mirror (to be legal - I just look over my shoulder she. I actually want to see behind me...)

Yep. Although you would want to make sure the sand is dry.

It's two different methods of dampening vibration. One is weight at a specific location to kill natural harmonics. Make it stop vibrating at a specific frequency. The other is removing vibration everywhere, by contact with a material that doesn't transmit vibrations. I would think that ground up cork or rubber would work better than sand. Vibration transmission is greater with density. Although lead does not vibrate very well. Sand is dense. But... I've never seen a sand bag vibrate...

Put a metal cup of something up against the handlebars or engine and see what it looks like. Rev to find the harmonic. Lots of motion means transmission of vibration. Some sort of material will vibrate less than others.

I've used a lot of cork and medium hard rubber in places to kill vibration. Especially mirrors.

And I would guess that the ultimate material is the gel like we have in our gloves.

The same company sells a product called Buzz Kill, for $35.

It's a gel formula that absorbs vibration.  

http://www.gripnripracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=41_49&products_id=168

I saw that, it didnt look very good though.  Its a gel that you squirt into the ends of the bars and its says its supposed to keep heat inside the bars.  The one I linked goes into the bar clamp, which while more expensive would work much better, IMO.  It does cost much more though.

After reading the description it is intended to reduce vibration but also helps insulate bars if you have grip heaters. It has a long hose that I presume would reach down towards the clamp area as well. For $35 it's worth looking at and definitely lighter than filling the bars with lead shot or some other material. Also the iso vibe is not 'a little motor'.... it's just a rubber isolator and bar clamp to try and insulate the bars from vibration but looks like it's designed primarily for dirt applications. Little motor?...

Edited by CrazySkullCrusher

Synced them my self with a motion pro sync pro.

Groovy....seriously give the grip puppies a try, they really help with vibes and fatigue. Don't go with inferior knock offs, there is a difference. You want the small grips by the way.

http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/motorcycles/GRIPPUP.html

I like the pro grips that are on it. I ordered some weighted bar ends and will fool around with filling the bars with stuff. Also considering getting a set of different bars, something a bit wider...bandit bars are pretty narrow. Maybe a different length bar will negate the vibration issue.

Groovy....seriously give the grip puppies a try, they really help with vibes and fatigue. Don't go with inferior knock offs, there is a difference. You want the small grips by the way.

http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/motorcycles/GRIPPUP.html

Hmm might be getting these for the VFR, my grips succcck. And just gotta figure out what the diameter on these heli-bars are. I know back in the day they used to offer 7/8 and 1" versions for the Honda's

Edited by Bad324

Can you get a dial or digital caliper on them anywhere to measure? Usually there's a gap somewhere big enough to measure.

good question, I'm pretty sure but don't remember 100%.

Hmm might be getting these for the VFR, my grips succcck. And just gotta figure out what the diameter on these heli-bars are. I know back in the day they used to offer 7/8 and 1" versions for the Honda's

Most bikes will take the small grips Brian, and I swear by these closed cell grip covers........they work and are extremely comfy. Just take some Windex and spray all over the inside of them, and they will slip right on over the bar grips.

• Upvote 1