unOFFICIAL OR SoreButtapalooza to Mt. Rushmore.

Tonik

30 is congested as shit, passes every shopping center and chain restaurant known to man until you get west of I-57. Joliet sucks to drive though as well.

The Tri_State (294) isn't that bad at all, especially if you have a toll reader (I-Pass, etc), then there will be no stopping at all on the weekends and outside of rush hours. Can't say now what construction will be like on the Tri State next summer, but if they have lane restrictions, it's best to stay off of it completely.

The turnpike plaza you refer to is the Lincoln Oasis, just across the Illinois / Indiana line , immediately after the 94 turn off.

There generally isn't much west bound traffic at all on I-80 west of the Tri State - mostly just trucks. And nothing but cornfields west of Joliet.

Yea, I thought 30 might be busy. Oh well, at least IP had a few hours of thinking he wasn't going through Gary and South Chicago.

The toll plaza I have in mind is in Indiana, just before Gary. Then it's only 55 miles to get past Joliet and out of it.      http://goo.gl/maps/Ig8i4

Yea, I thought 30 might be busy. Oh well, at least IP had a few hours of thinking he wasn't going through Gary and South Chicago.

The toll plaza I have in mind is in Indiana, just before Gary. Then it's only 55 miles to get past Joliet and out of it.      http://goo.gl/maps/Ig8i4

My old office was in Glenview, IL (north side of Chicago) and I drove up there 1-2 times per week for about 20 years Basically running the full length of the Tri-State each time. If there is no construction and it's not rush hour, it moves really well and quite fast. 

I still go up there a lot to see friends and can do a pre-run a week or two before we set off to recon.

A trip I want to take in the very near future, but will be taking 2 weeks off so I can take my time and REALLY enjoy the scenery and many roads to explore. Y'all have fun, looks like a great Ohioriders bonding experience.

This is what I was kind of thinking, maybe not 2 weeks but at least a week. I'd still do the 1000 mile burner on the way out but enjoy the area more while out there

My old office was in Glenview, IL (north side of Chicago) and I drove up there 1-2 times per week for about 20 years Basically running the full length of the Tri-State each time. If there is no construction and it's not rush hour, it moves really well and quite fast. 

I still go up there a lot to see friends and can do a pre-run a week or two before we set off to recon.

I got family there that can give us a heads up also, he rides so he knows what we would be looking for.  So you think we should go up 294 and grab 90 and go through Madison Wi and across? I was staying on 80, and going over to Iowa City on 80 and up 380 then cut over to 90 that way.  Same time and miles and no Chicago.  Maybe we should do one way out there and one way back.

General question.

I made this trip short, thinking it would get more peeps to go.  I have boatloads of vacation time every year and I use almost all of it on motorcycle trips.  Do we want to make this a longer trip 5 or 6 days but still have the 1K day at the beginning?

Do we want to make two trips...Group A does the 4 day run and Group B does the 5/6 day run? The groups would probably split apart the morning of Day 3.

Not trying to complicate this, but it would be easy to do two groups.......

I got family there that can give us a heads up also, he rides so he knows what we would be looking for.  So you think we should go up 294 and grab 90 and go through Madison Wi and across? I was staying on 80, and going over to Iowa City on 80 and up 380 then cut over to 90 that way.  Same time and miles and no Chicago.  Maybe we should do one way out there and one way back.

Either way is fine by me - makes no difference whatsoever. But I gotta make a stop at the Mars Cheese Castle if we go into Wisconsin for some Kringle. The place is a shithole  but makes great Kringle.

A long weekend is good for me.....

Same here, but I have loads of time  to spend doing whatever. Might just play it by ear and hope for nice, warm weather. If it's good, I'll ride longer. Might even hit Aerostich on the way back (in Duluth).

Man, sounds awesome but 15 hrs in the saddle is too much for this old man.  10-11 is my max and I try my best to avoid that.....lol

Tonki and Earache are no young pups either so age is no excuse, you just have to get more conditioned as you get older. Im in my mid 30s and i would have to do a little myself before such a trip.

Edited by 2talltim

General question.

I made this trip short, thinking it would get more peeps to go.  I have boatloads of vacation time every year and I use almost all of it on motorcycle trips.  Do we want to make this a longer trip 5 or 6 days but still have the 1K day at the beginning?

Do we want to make two trips...Group A does the 4 day run and Group B does the 5/6 day run? The groups would probably split apart the morning of Day 3.

Not trying to complicate this, but it would be easy to do two groups.......

I would be game for a couple extra days but dont change your plans based on me. Im very interested but i could not commit until feb or march, and as of right now id say im 60/40 (60 to the not side)

First off thanks Tonik for taking up the task as party planner. Second I'm in 90/10. The 10 being an emergency of some sort or the Gestapo at work not letting me go. My vote is for mid June. Less chance of rain than May and possibly less traffic that weekend at the end of June as it is just before the week of the Fourth. No matter,majority rules and I'm good with whatever. I'm also okay with a few extra days. We will be close to some states that I can mark off of my bucket list. Had a good time with Doc,RHill,Jester and his Bud Tim on our gap trip this year even though it rained every flippin day but one. So ya guys...looking forward to this.

Tonki and Earache are no young pups either so age is no excuse, you just have to get more conditioned as you get older. Im in my mid 30s and i would have to do a little myself before such a trip.

God damned young kids these days - buncha weenies, I tell ya. :cool:

• Upvote 1

OP updated to show the northern through Chicago and Madison route so we can get cheese for Earache.  Return is the original southern route for varities sake.  Also split up the peeps into two groups, pretty sure they are going and the 'interested' group.

First off thanks Tonik for taking up the task as party planner. Second I'm in 90/10. The 10 being an emergency of some sort or the Gestapo at work not letting me go. My vote is for mid June. Less chance of rain than May and possibly less traffic that weekend at the end of June as it is just before the week of the Fourth. No matter,majority rules and I'm good with whatever. I'm also okay with a few extra days. We will be close to some states that I can mark off of my bucket list. Had a good time with Doc,RHill,Jester and his Bud Tim on our gap trip this year even though it rained every flippin day but one. So ya guys...looking forward to this.

You going to tackle this on the wing?

I need to buy a bike before I would bother voting and skewing the results...

Even then, I don't have actual "vacation" days until September, but I can earn time off by working extra hours now   ...except all of those hours are currently going toward "oh shit, my wife's in labor" time.

With all that said, I would very much like to go, but it would likely be a late decision, and only a 4-day trip for me.   Plus the OMRL schedule isn't out yet :D

I need to buy a bike before I would bother voting and skewing the results...

Even then, I don't have actual "vacation" days until September, but I can earn time off by working extra hours now   ...except all of those hours are currently going toward "oh shit, my wife's in labor" time.

With all that said, I would very much like to go, but it would likely be a late decision, and only a 4-day trip for me.   Plus the OMRL schedule isn't out yet :D

Man, I was counting on you to keep me and Mag's separated.

i'm racking up a couple of days of flex-time every month, so it might be possible.  I would have to think long and hard about missing an OMRL race weekend for this though.  But they did pass a rule that allows you to throw-out your worst result from the season, so one DNS wouldn't kill me.

Somebody slap me in the face because I'm mostly convinced I can do this on the Supersport. :eek:

I think you are forgetting the day after...not to mention the return trip. It would be one thing to do that in a giant circle and finish back at home. It's another thing to then do 350 in the mountains then 1300 miles back home afterwards.

I would be in if you could find a way to stay in the black hills area for a whole day The ride there and back is a good pace but I have been there before and you are making a big mistake if you do not spend at least a whole day exploring the area and running the back roads

Then again I could ride out with you guys and just stay a few days on my own.

So, do I do Deal's Gap, or this 2500 mile ride into nowhere country? No way I can do both, so it may come down to a coin toss. :)

Black Hills is on my bucket list. If you don't make this one I would seriously consider organizing a trip in 2015