unOFFICIAL OR SoreButtapalooza to Mt. Rushmore.

Tonik

I may have come across as pissed or insulted. That was not my intent. Was looking for advice on what we are missing.

I have never ventured out to that beautiful part of the country "yet", big reason why I would have to take my sweet ole time the first trip out. I think how you are doing it is going to be a  great time, sure are gonna be some sore butts though. :)

Ok, did some more research and planning.

Thur.  Best Western Chamberlain, SD      $55.00
Fri.   Holiday Inn Express Deadwood, SD  $55.00
Sat.   Super 8  Murdo, SD                $60.00
Sunday Microtel South Bend, IN           $67.00

This is what the first day looks like so far.  Based on the pretty committed group I have us meeting at the westbound service plaza just west of I77 on the Turnpike.  I am assuming we are meeting Earache near Angola. There is a good truck stop on 69 for that, but where we pick him up is up to him. That meeting place makes for one short distance run, 63 miles. But no way around it, no biggie.   First link is skipping Kenosha and Earache's cheese place, second link is stopping at the cheese place. Cheese place only adds about 28 miles, so I vote for going to the cheese place. If it's great that is cool and if it sucks we can make fun of him for the rest of the day.

http://goo.gl/maps/PC1WR   No cheese for you.

http://goo.gl/maps/SWv6I     With cheese stop in Kenosha

I would like to start REALLY early.  Like leaving the plaza at 5 AM or so, but some are coming from Youngstown, they may object.  That gets us to the end of the day around 11-12 PM. So we can recover and get up at a decent hour for day two.

Stops are not set in stone, we go with how we feel. I am still a bit unsure on my new bikes range.  Looks like 150 is comfortable, but I have only run it when it is cold out and that kills most Kaw cruisers fuel mileage...which sucks to begin with. I am hearing about 175 from other peeps that have my bike. But hammer down it goes to crap again.

And the last third of the trip is f'ing middle of no where. Not a lot of options on gas.

Edited by Tonik

Is there a reason this is all freeway?  Not criticism, just not too familiar with the IBA thing.  Straight-line freeway is not fun on the viffer, at least for this old man.

Is there a reason this is all freeway?  Not criticism, just not too familiar with the IBA thing.  Straight-line freeway is not fun on the viffer, at least for this old man.

Need to do 1000 miles in 24 hours to get the IBA achievement.  That is 15.5 hours at 67 mph, Plus gas stops, toll plazas, food and general dicking around. So it's a matter of time, and getting done and recovering for the next 2 days on the good roads.  If I was just doing the 1K without a lot of follow up riding I would do more back roads and push the time limit with a nap maybe in the middle.

I don't like the freeway much either.

Edit:   This from the IBA website also stuck in my mind:   "For every hour you are on a major highway riding, you put approximately 20 minutes of "off" time in your time bank that can be used for resting."

Edited by Tonik

All of this looks totally cool with me. I can do cheese or no cheese - 'cause I'm stopping for kringle, not cheese!  See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kringle

Mars Cheese is about 20 feet off of the highway. I can stop by myself of no one else wants to and then catch back up.

I can start the ride at any point and time that you guys wanna meet. Just let me know when and where and I'll be there. The BMW gets about 130 miles out of a tank when going over 75 mph. Sometimes over 160 miles but never over that. Fuggin' windsail of a pig bike.

Ok, did some more research and planning.

Thur.  Best Western Chamberlain, SD      $55.00
Fri.   Holiday Inn Express Deadwood, SD  $55.00
Sat.   Super 8  Murdo, SD                $60.00
Sunday Microtel South Bend, IN           $67.00

post-9760-0-16686600-1386815493_thumb.jp

Edited by Earache

"I would like to start REALLY early. Like leaving the plaza at 5 AM or so, but some are coming from Youngstown, they may object. That gets us to the end of the day around 11-12 PM. So we can recover and get up at a decent hour for day two."

No objection from me. Just as Earache mentioned,set the when and were and I'll be there. I'm good for 200 + or - a few on mileage depending on the right hand so no need to to figure me into the stop equation. I agree with an early start. Make it 4 if you want.

Dates are irrelevant to me. I doubt I'll make this trek. I am going to Georgia, instead. I think I want more twisties than Tonik's route has to offer. No offense, and it looks like fun, but since Isaac moved in I can't get away. I'm already missing the OhioRiders trip to Deals Gap. I can't be away from the mountains that long. It's already been 6 months. :eek:

If it's in July or later you must let me know :)

After talking it over with both the home and work bosses, the first half of the year is just not ideal so I have to bow out. I do however love that you've made me heavily consider planning a trip like this for 2015

Edited by Bad324

ATTENTION fellow pending sore butt owners.

We are going June 12th, as most of us have requested that date. That is a Thursday so the 5 day peeps (me included) will be back Monday night.

This is going to be awesome.

• Upvote 1

OP edited with the current list of committed peeps. We roll from the I80 Service plaza at 4:30 AM, we should be at the truck stop for Earache at about 7:30. Details on both locations in the OP.  We are stopping for Kringles on the way out. We will cut the gas stops down to 100 to 125, no need to push any empty tanks. That just creates unneeded stress for people that have a lower range. They just sit there looking at the gas gauge worrying. That is no fun.

I will get hotel details so we can make reservations later on this winter. Anyone wants to bunk up figure that out on your own. I prefer not to share a room, I sleep like crap and have weird nightmares sometimes. But I will double up if that is the difference between someone being able to go vs not going.

I can start the ride at any point and time that you guys wanna meet. Just let me know when and where and I'll be there. The BMW gets about 130 miles out of a tank when going over 75 mph. Sometimes over 160 miles but never over that. Fuggin' windsail of a pig bike.

Double check the miles from your house to the truck stop near Angola, then to Chamberlain, SD.  Make sure it's over 1000.  The way it works is you get a gas receipt with a time stamp near your house. then you get one at each stop along the way and at the end.  And be SURE to get one at the truck stop in Angola so you can prove you took the long way.

IBA will check your route on Google maps to make sure it is over 1000. So we need to do that before we finalize your meeting point. It's close, depends where in Indy you live.

The wife and I rode out to Yellowstone a few years back and we stayed in the Rushmore area for a few days there are some great roads out there one day we were on a back road and came in to a clearing there were about 80 wild donkeys there it was early June so they were just shedding their winter coats and looked pretty bad there were so many of them we had to stop when we did they crowded all around us we petted them but I was afraid they would push us over we had a pack of saltine crackers so the wife opened them up and threw them all around us the donkeys went after the crackers and we made our escape. I remember another place it was a lake surrounded with tall gray granite cliffs the sky and the water were cobalt blue and the reflection off the lake with the green pine trees all around was unbelievable. We also took a tour of wind cave we took and elevator down to the main cavern they open up into a small concrete room when you walk out into the main room thru sliding glass doors it will take your breath away the room is so big it is unreal there are boulders laying on the floor that are bigger than most homes.

As of now I am also certain from my stand point, only issue is approval for off days which I will know only by end of April 2014 :(

Tonik I have the same question, is it June yet :D

Heavyduty will u be able to roughly give us an idea where those places are. Sounds amazing don't want to miss them after trekking all the way there.

I most prolly will split of from you guys after the 1k. Hopefully I can join back with you guys on the return ride. But all these are postulation as of now of a dreamer. So don't mind it. Just talking about the ride itself is fun in this freaking weather.

Pauly is a liar, he wants to ride the SS Duc, that's the main reason to go to Georgia, not the roads :D

Edited by NinjaDoc

The lake he is talking about is Sylvan Lake, its on our route day two. Wind Cave is on day three. Wild donkeys are very common out there we will see some, bison too.

Edited by Tonik

You all are going to have a blast riding the Rockies.  I am planning a ride out to Pocatello, Idaho maybe a little later in June, but I'm taking 3 nights to get there....lol, if I make it.  A few years back a friend went riding solo up into Glacier Park and was never heard from again.  They did a massive search and never found anything of him after his last stop (cc receipt) at a small gas stop headed up into Glacier.  Guess you never know.  Another friend and his wife used to rdie all over the west.  When she passed away last year he decided to do a ride through every state that he and she had ridden through trying to re trace their route.  He said it almost religious riding solo through the western lands.

You guys are going to have a gas gas gas.

Double check the miles from your house to the truck stop near Angola, then to Chamberlain, SD.  Make sure it's over 1000.  The way it works is you get a gas receipt with a time stamp near your house. then you get one at each stop along the way and at the end.  And be SURE to get one at the truck stop in Angola so you can prove you took the long way.

IBA will check your route on Google maps to make sure it is over 1000. So we need to do that before we finalize your meeting point. It's close, depends where in Indy you live.

I live about 15 miles south of I-465 in Indy. It's showing 187.7 miles from my house to the Petro Truck Sop, exit #157 on I-69. Riding to Chamberlin should easily put me over the 1,000 mile mark with a few extra miles to spare.

Should be about the same mileage from your start point to Petro as well, so that'll be nice if neither of us has to wait long on the other.

Edited by Earache

When we were in Yellowstone we ran in to a heard of buffalo I followed a pickup truck thru them but he stopped to take pictures a huge buffalo came up to us and touched my wife with his nose It freaked her out so bad I thought she was going to jump off and run. What we learned later from park rangers was if a buffalo raises his tail straight up he is either going to pee or charge you in the above video look at the buffalo’s tail. I will look for some pictures we took and post them. It will be next week I’m on my 77 hour work week and still have 3 days to go don’t feel like looking for them now. On the way back home we might want to stop at Wall Drug it is close to the badlands there are some cool trading posts and saloons there. I also tool a few days extra vacation just in case I want to take some detours on the way home.

Edited by HeavyDuty