unOFFICIAL OR SoreButtapalooza to Mt. Rushmore.

Tonik

sucks for the OP, but Cleveland > Cbus > Indy > Davenport would be a better superslab than fighting the BS on 80/90.

I-74 is empty through IL vs. 80 that is heavily trafficed and policed. Champaign, Bloomington/Normal and P-town are the only busy parts.

This is very tempting if it was a full week with both weekends attached. Sadly, I am going to take the family out that way in the car for a little "Family Vacation" this summer.

Looks like a good burner.

I would be in if you could find a way to stay in the black hills area for a whole day 

I mentioned a few posts back we could do two groups, the 4 day group and a 5-6 day group. Just split up on day 3.  I created a new group in the OP for those interested in a longer trip. I suspect there will be no problem getting a few peeps to do that. I in fact might go that way, we shall see. Also add Connie 14 to the interested list.

This is looking pretty solid, I'm stoked.

I would be in if you could find a way to stay in the black hills area for a whole day The ride there and back is a good pace but I have been there before and you are making a big mistake if you do not spend at least a whole day exploring the area and running the back roads.

I mentioned a few posts back we could do two groups, the 4 day group and a 5-6 day group. Just split up on day 3.  I created a new group in the OP for those interested in a longer trip. I suspect there will be no problem getting a few peeps to do that. I in fact might go that way, we shall see. Also add Connie 14 to the interested list.

I'll stay in the area an extra day if needed - no problem at all for me. I also may split off from the return group on the way back for a stop in northern Iowa to see some relatives for a bit. Not an overnight stop - just an hour or so.

But, if anyone wants to stay another day or two in the Deadwood area, I'm game for doing so.

Let’s try to plan a 6 day run for the ones that want to stay longer if we do that some of us could take half a day and run over to Devils Tower it is less than 1.5 hours from Sturgis I will need to know the dates so I can put in for vacation ASAP. The wife has already said have fun.

Edited by HeavyDuty
  • Upvote 1

I have the wife's buy in. Trying to get the summer vacation plans locked in with the kids and extended family. Things are coming together.

As stated in previous post, the route from Cbus does look easier than leaving from NE Ohio. Hopefully someone else from Central Ohio wants to go.

For those interested:

http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdocument.cfm?DocID=1

Ok, I have created a 5 day trip and put people into groups based upon what i am reading.  If I have you in the wrong group or what ever speak up. Peeps that have been there, look hard at days 2 and 3, make sure I got the roads and sites we want.

Put one together that is.

Guess I am not an ironbutt kind of guy, I am in no hurry and have very little concrete plans when I take a trip. I am all about the scenery and stopping "exploring" all that I can, especially when I have never been in that area before. Hey I admire ya 110%, and putting this together for a group ride is no easy task.  :bow:

Edited by Pokey

I wish i could join, i see a glimmer of hope in second week of june. Chance of me making is less than 30% :( This will prolly be the first ride after leaving ohio.

Jerry hope u dont get shit bomb rained on again :)  , and just in case i can make it... Pauly take the supersport. I want to smirk at some one as most of the other guys will be leaning back with there cruise control on :D

Edited by NinjaDoc

Guess I am not an ironbutt kind of guy, I am in no hurry and have very little concrete plans when I take a trip. I am all about the scenery and stopping "exploring" all that I can, especially when I have never been in that area before. Hey I admire ya 110%, and putting this together for a group ride is no easy task. :bow:

I may have come across as pissed or insulted. That was not my intent. Was looking for advice on what we are missing.

http://www.canyonchasers.net/travel/2009/blackhillsgold.php

Though this trip report covers more than just the Black Hills area it is what put this area on my bucket list of destinations. Great pics and some vids with a very nice write up. After reading it again I am looking forward to the trip. If I can bang out the 1000/24 that will be two things that I can cross off my list.

I wish i could join, i see a glimmer of hope in second week of june. Chance of me making is less than 30% :( This will prolly be the first ride after leaving ohio.

Jerry hope u dont get shit bomb rained on again :)  , and just in case i can make it... Pauly take the supersport. I want to smirk at some one as most of the other guys will be leaning back with there cruise control on :D

Hey Doc! Nice to see you on here again. Screw that rain. Don't forget  cb radio, sheepskin seat cover, big ass windshield, highway pegs, backrest and drink holder. Wait...no drink holder. Gotta work on that. Would be nice if you could make this happen. Maybe not the 1000 mile part but the rest. All you gotta do is go south a little and we can pick you up.

Somebody slap me in the face because I'm mostly convinced I can do this on the Supersport. :eek:

Pauly.....if you decide to go and take Izzy-B I can carry your gear in a duffle in the back seat if needed since I will be taking the Wing. I also have a tail-saddle bag soft luggage set that worked out on on my Gap trip this year that your welcome to use. 

http://www.canyonchasers.net/travel/2009/blackhillsgold.php

Though this trip report covers more than just the Black Hills area it is what put this area on my bucket list of destinations. Great pics and some vids with a very nice write up. After reading it again I am looking forward to the trip. If I can bang out the 1000/24 that will be two things that I can cross off my list.

very niceeee,  now u making me hope & dream real bad and feel extra sad when i realize i may not make it :(

If you are going get the EZ Pass it lets you get thru the tolls fast and I think it is good in all the states we are going thru

Black tape on your licence plate works well too :D Edited by 2talltim

If you are going get the EZ Pass it lets you get thru the tolls fast and I think it is good in all the states we are going thru

I have had one on my bike since the day Ohio brought them out. I ride two exits to work each day and it is awesome. Except the one time the gate came down on me as I was part way through. That kind of sucked but I got a new windshield and helmet out of the deal with money left over to by two Chatterbox units for the wife and I.

Any idea on the cost of this trip? My eyes might be bigger than my wallet. :(

I figure costs this way:

320 for Hotels. That is 80 per night one per room.  That is a high, just being careful. Except for Deadwood we can grab cheap hotels along the freeway. Peeps can double/triple bunk or whatever they want.

200 for Food.   That is 50 per day. Plenty of money for food.

250 for gas.      That 2800 miles, divided by 40 mpg times 3.25 per gallon.

So ballpark 850 if you add in tolls.

Original post updated with the new peeps showing interest or going for sure.  And again, if there are 4 day people the trip still works for you, you just split for home after Deadwood. You still get Mt Rushmore, and some black hills and you can hit the bad lands on your way out...just as we are.

Edited by Tonik

Somebody slap me in the face because I'm mostly convinced I can do this on the Supersport. :eek:

if I make it, we can trade for a few hundred miles.  You can dictate the pace on whatever I'm riding to keep me from getting too boisterous ;-)

and I think $80/night in a hotel is WAY high, but a safe figure for estimating costs.

Realistically, all I want at the end of a long day of riding (especially that first day) is a shower and a pillow.  I would plan on packing a thermarest and letting whoever else I'm bunking with fight over the bed.  A place to shower and sleep is just that on a trip like this.  (IMHO).

I would think this trip could be done for more like $500 if 3 or 4 like-minded cheap-asses shared rooms.

Edited by redkow97