Riders Insurance FTW

Hoblick

I know lots of people who have used Riders (including myself for my last cbr) but I don't know a single person that has a first hand account of how they deal with a claim so for now the VFR stays with Allstate

This was going to be my question-how do they rate handling claims.

As an FYI for full coverage policy owners:

Full coverage has two major components: Comprehensive and Collision

Comp = covers fire and theft

Collision = covers accident and also (I believe) includes the Medical piece

In many cases, once you stop riding or driving, you can contact your agent and SUSPEND the COLLISION portion of your insurance coverage. The bike will still be covered for fire/theft but you cannot ride the bike or drive the car. This will save you some money but you have to resist the tempation to go for a spin if the weather gets nice.

I do this for my Mini Cooper with State Farm and it saves me a couple hundred between Nov and Apr. State Farm does not do this for bikes as they supposedly reviewed and repriced their policies based on a 6-9 month riding season. The agent told me they got tired of bikers doing this to them so they just changed their coverage rates to compensate. Other providers still base their coverage on 12 month, so you can suspend and save.

I have 3 bikes under Full Coverage and did a compare between SF, Progressive, Allstate and Gieco earlier in the year and I factored in policy suspension.

SF was equivalent or better than most other providers for me. I think Gieco ended up being the cheapest after suspension but I got busy and didn't make the switch. SF has always been excellent with claims and I have 32yrs of coverage history with SF. Allstate and Gieco did mention they recognize the long history but I am not sure how it factors into the rates they quoted me.

As an FYI for full coverage policy owners:

Full coverage has two major components: Comprehensive and Collision

Comp = covers fire and theft

Collision = covers accident and also (I believe) includes the Medical piece

In many cases, once you stop riding or driving, you can contact your agent and SUSPEND the COLLISION portion of your insurance coverage. The bike will still be covered for fire/theft but you cannot ride the bike or drive the car. This will save you some money but you have to resist the tempation to go for a spin if the weather gets nice.

I do this for my Mini Cooper with State Farm and it saves me a couple hundred between Nov and Apr. State Farm does not do this for bikes as they supposedly reviewed and repriced their policies based on a 6-9 month riding season. The agent told me they got tired of bikers doing this to them so they just changed their coverage rates to compensate. Other providers still base their coverage on 12 month, so you can suspend and save.

I have 3 bikes under Full Coverage and did a compare between SF, Progressive, Allstate and Gieco earlier in the year and I factored in policy suspension.

SF was equivalent or better than most other providers for me. I think Gieco ended up being the cheapest after suspension but I got busy and didn't make the switch. SF has always been excellent with claims and I have 32yrs of coverage history with SF. Allstate and Gieco did mention they recognize the long history but I am not sure how it factors into the rates they quoted me.

most insurance companies don't do that for motorcycles anymore. At least with the 3 different companies I've used. The premium is for a year not 6 months, they do this so they don't have the headache of dealing with sunny day lay up and getting flooded with phone calls of prow wanting to add coverage for a day or 2 and to stop issuing refunds when the cold weather starts

• 3 weeks later...

We use riders insurance in house and hoblick is absolutely right, they are one of the cheapest/ best insurance companies in Ohio for motorcycles. I'd recommend them to anyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have much experience with their claims processing?

Do they offer accessory coverage now?  I switched to Rider from Progressive and saved about 50% on my insurance bill, but the one thing I liked about Progressive was the $3,000 accessory coverage they included.  When I started my Rider policy, they were only allowing accessory coverage on cruisers and I couldn't see any way to add it to a sport bike.  I need to renew soon - if they now allow accessory coverage on sport bikes, I need to add that ASAP.

Edited by Harb67