Crawl space's, who's done what?

madcat6183

Long story short, need to make the crawl space not a totally miserable place, but not going to drop a shitload of cash to put in a concrete floor or anything like that.  Right now it's mainly 57's and some random other grave with clear vapor barrier and pink vapor barrier backed insulation(cats have destroyed this stuff).  So with that, the insulation/vapor barrier wall coverings are coming out as apparently they trap and hold moisture, and we are replacing the vapor film with black, probably lay 2 layers, maybe more.  

My thing is, I read there are supposed to be vents and/or some air movement in these things and ours has NONE.  It opens to our partial basement where the cats, laundry, and some clothes are, HVAC, water heater, that kind of shit.  Issue it, it obviously does draw some heat/cool from the basement area through the door, but I don't think I want to "seal" it off either with a door.

What have others done for partial basement/crawl space areas?  Anyone add an external fan(passed radon test when I bought the house, buying another this week to do myself) so not really a radon mitigation setup, just an external fan.  Dehumidifiers(not running one now), adding vents(would need to seal off from basement and insulate under the floor, don't want this option really).

We have holiday stuff, some of our collections, and some random stuff in there now, and the cats like to play in the area since the rafters are open, and it's a bigger open space.

??

Well, funny you should ask, meeting tomorrow with a new Realtor.  The last one was a total bust and we missed on some clients due to some serious issues with his company.  This is why I don't want to drop much money into it, BUT we have to do at least the bare minimum to make it slightly nicer.

Right now the plan is to do what I said above, tear everything out, then place all new vapor barrier x 2 or 3 layers, then get a dehumidifier and possibly also run a fan in there to move air.  There is electric which is good, but not sure I like the idea of a fan running 24x7 vs just a dehumidifier.  I think I probably will build a door with hinges and a latch along with a cat door to, just to cut back on the smell slightly.

Yeah, this has also been discussed/covered  Obviously my thinking is they shouldn't be in our house, and if they are, no claws, but apparently, I am not smart.  Instead I have to do all of this because they trashed the basement.  Will be on our second round of carpet section from how much the bastards puke too.  However, I won't be offering to pay for any of this piece since they ruined the one I already bought.  In less than a year mind you.

I am going through something similar.  The crawl space under half of our house is at max 18" high.  If I have a pipe break in there, there is no way my fat butt can get in there, so I would have to find a really skinny plumber.  I am thinking about digging it down a foot or so this summer.  It should be absolute torture.  When I am finished, I need to decide if I want to seal it up or insulate the floors and then let the rest breathe. 

If you block off the vents to the outisde, then you have to really make sure you kep out the moisture, or you will get mold.  I have vents right now, but no insulation, so the floors are really cold and the pipes freeze.  I block off the vents in the winter, but it doesn't help much.

Good luck!

1998, I have to mention this crawl space is much different than a crawl space under a house with no basement at all.  It already has the vapor barrier installed with insulation as well.  It's a storage area with rock floors.  We do plan to add lava rock as that draws out moisture as well.  

Not sure of the sq footage of the crawl, but if you put in a dehumidifier wouldn't it just run 24/7 and continue to wick more moisture up through the crushed stone base in a never ending cycle? 

I am hoping once we put 2-3 layers of vapor barrier down it won't.  However this has also gone through my mind, really not sure.

Our house is about 10 years old, and has a "majority basement" except for a tongue under the half-bath and laundry room, at the right rear of the basement.  I despise the builder for doing this (we're not the original owners).  Our crawlspace is about 24-30" tall, about 5' wide, and about 12' deep (front to back).  Its accessed via a "hole" at the top edge.  I climb in using a ladder or standing on a 5-gallon bucket. 

I tested for radon in the basement shortly after we moved in, and it came out at about 9 (IIRC).  The top level for radon is supposed to be around 4 (I think.  Its been 8 years...).   We surmised that the radon was coming through the "crawlspace" area, seeping up through the gravel that they had laid down.  

I got a radon fan off of ebay and ran the tubing, including a "feed" from the nearby sump pump pit (since radon seeps in through the drain curtain lines as well).  

After the system had run for a couple of days, we re-tested and came in at .6 on the radon reader. 

For the crawlspace (CS), I framed out a floor with 2x6" untreated boards, and laid a 1/2" plywood floor.  Needed the tall 2x6 joists because I needed to bore holes in them to run the pvc throughout, and so no area was blocked-off.   I put sheet plastic on top of the plywood floor, sealed the edges of the sheet plastic onto the concrete walls, and we now use it for storage bins and other stuff we don't need to access often.  

Works for us.  We don't have any insulation between the floor joists (for the first floor) in ours.  

Note: for a "true" CS (which ours is not.  Thats just what we call it), like one which is under a whole house, the exterior vents are critical.  There MUST be flow under there, regardless of the weather.  Moisture and radon can build up.  The moisture causes havoc, and the radon (and other stuff) can seep into the house.   Mold and radon can cause all kinds of health issues. 

So you did the Radon exhaust all yourself?  Nice!  That was my idea too if we fail the test, fans look cheap, just need electric and a hole to plumb it out.

Not to be a DB, but if you get a chance to take a few pics next time you're in there/basement just of the sump area connection, I'd appreciate it.  I can PM email/cell.  Thanks! 

I thought that "encapsulation" was the latest thing in crawlspaces. I have a rental that I completely rebuilt over the summer and sealed up the crawlspace vents. The plan is to insulate the perimeter of the inside with 2" foamboard insulation and then put a liner and seal the whole thing up. I'll get to it in the next month or so. This place was recommended by a local homebuilder http://www.crawlspacevaporbarrier.net/Basically it looks like a swimming pool liner.

The ductwork in the crawlspace actually has 2 vents that should keep it above freezing. Of course, it is 15 freaking below zero at the moment so I wouldn't be shocked to get a phone call any time saying something is frozen.

Let me know if you need help with the radon issues. I'm licensed through the state for mitigations.

Thanks, this is kind of what I was looking for just in case.... 

We closed the cover to about 80% of the crawlspace and added a dehumidifier.  We'll see what's up in a few weeks or whatever and go from there.  Want to install a nicer vapor barrier or do it when we sell/move out for the next owner.  I think that will make it a nice storage area.  granted we use it already but want it to be nicer. 

Edited by madcat6183

If you install a radon system you will see your dehumidifier start running less and less. The systems remove moisture from the air(up to 2 gallons a day). When you seal up the crawlspace (install a vapor barrier and seal it to the walls) you limit the moisture content entering your basement. Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

Apprecaite that info too.  Vapor barrier is happening soon, hopefully in a week or 2 as well.  The cats tore the current one a little, then we are sealing the space with an actual sealed door type thing I'll build.  Really appreciate the help, I just want to make it as nice down there as I can.  No actual issues with radon per test results, but just want to clean it up a little for our use of storage.

Edited by madcat6183

• 1 month later...

Chrome, can you PM me and clear your inbox?  WAnted to get a radon system quote real fast just in case test comes back;

Hey there, our house is in contract, 5 have sold in last 12 months and none with Radon issues or systems installed, however I wanted to ask about pricing on a radon system just in case.  I honestly don't have the time to do anything myself and if test came back positive would want to get it remedied within a few days kind of thing to keep the sale moving forawrd.  I am really hoping no issues, but never know.  Anyway you might be able to send me an approximate quote?  Sump is right next to a corner and window, along with power outlet, so both of these are right there if that helps.  Basement is not deep, ground level is at my shoulders so the sump put is X feet plus 5 feet to hit ground, if that matters.

Thanks!
 John
419-610-5 six six six

Edited by madcat6183