New guy - WV hillbilly

lowcel

Howdy ya'll.  

Thought I would take a minute to introduce myself.  My name is Bruce and I am from the Charleston, WV area and I am 38 years old.  I have been riding motorcycles since I was 5 years old however I have only been riding street bikes since I was 26.  I started on cruisers then switched to sport bikes when I was around 30 years old.  I took a couple of years off due to knee surgeries and I have been back into it for around a year now.  

I am hooked on the sport / hobby more now than ever.  I have never done a track day but I plan on changing that soon.  I hope to do at least one a month starting in April.  I made a couple of trips to the Tail of the Dragon in 2013 and while there I decided that I really want to get better and the only "safe" way that I know to do that is at a track.

Anyway, most forums I am on appreciate pictures so here they are, my two bikes.

Track bike - 2004 CBR600RR

a4_zpsd82a0945.jpg

Street bike - 2013 ZX6R

aIMG_3769-2_zpsa65ad268.jpg

• Upvote 1

Do you ever ride with SCR?  How well do you know WV backroads?

Sorry, don't know who / what SCR is.  I have a few different routes that I enjoy but I am always willing to learn new ones.

Welcome to the forum. My sister lives down by Cross Lanes so I ride to your area on occasion. WV 34 is a nice ride. Any road recommendations? Glad to hear about your track plans.

34 is my go to short ride.  I grew up less than 2 miles off of 34 and only live about 15 minutes from Kenna where it heads over to Red House.  I also ride bicycles on that road pretty often.  My usual riding is in the Hawk's Nest and Spencer area.  Around here the roads have too many holes, debris, traffic, and cops.  I don't ride overly dangerous but I would be lying if I said I didn't "occasionally" go a little over the speed limit.

Edited by lowcel

Welcome. Your 600RR is much nicer than the last couple we've had on this site. Between Jinu and me, I think our poor Hondas were 80% zip ties!

But they always got the job done. If I find any old parts in my garage, they're yours. I keep finding spark plugs and other stuff I meant to sell with that bike...

Welcome. Your 600RR is much nicer than the last couple we've had on this site. Between Jinu and me, I think our poor Hondas were 80% zip ties!

But they always got the job done. If I find any old parts in my garage, they're yours. I keep finding spark plugs and other stuff I meant to sell with that bike...

Thank you, I certainly appreciate it.  This is what it looked like when I purchased it the beginning of December.  It has surely seen better days but it will get the job done (I hope).  A few cans of spray paint and a little bit of time playing around with the vinyl cutter made a pretty big difference.  Granted, some people have told me it looked better before, I still like it better the way it looks now.

IMG_3778_zps4b19795a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome! My husband and I did a trip last year to WV and really enjoyed some of the roads we found. If you have the time and/or desire, I'd appreciate any suggestions on good roads as we will be going back a couple times this summer! Thanks!

Mary