Great example of counter-steering

redkow97

I'm watching slalom skiing, and these guys show exactly how a motorcycle steers.

Their heads and shoulders are relatively stationary, but they throw their skis out from under themselves, to the right to turn left, and to the left to turn right.

That's exactly how a motorcycle works too. You don't turn left, you turn right to push the wheels out from under the bike, and make the bike fall left.

• Upvote 1

It may depend on the type of wax used and how it was applied. Then again artificial or natural snow comes into the equation. Don't forget powder or groomed surface. Many variables to consider. One thing for certain is that if you do it wrong on either one you could hit a tree.

I've hit two trees and one telephone pole on skis, so I'm probably qualified to say something, but....

I'm too stunned that we're discussing counter steering again.

But quite happy that also means Winter is almost over and we get to ride again.

It does occur to me that skis go where you point them. Which isn't quite the same as the gyroscopic articulation of a linked frame with two wheels. Skiing is more about directing the center of gravity of your body, which is centered at your hip joints. The part that is similar to counter steering, is that the body of weight in skiing is linked at a joint at the hips. One part might twist one direction, and the other part twist another. Still a matter of balance around a center of gravity of the mass. Same for a four wheeler, if you've ever enjoyed a 4 wheel drift. And yes, airplanes do it too. The balance, not the linked joints. Although that would be cool, an articulated airplane with advanced maneuverability. (Ok, it just occurred to me that Burt Rutan's space plane does exactly that, it has a pivot hinge for enhanced flight.)

Edited by ReconRat

I don't think the physics are remotely comparable.

The edge on a ski or snowboard curved. When leaned it forces it to bend and the radius of that bend, along with conditions, determine how sharply you can turn.

I have no intention of debating this topic, but what kind of tires are you using that aren't curved? ;-)

Does anyone else here ski (or board) the black diamonds. If so, you are probably finding this thread as amusing as I am. I've noticed that the vision skills I developed in skiing cross over to motorcycle riding very well. The concept of having your body not quite perpendicular to gravity to compensate for the centripetal forces generated by turning is also similar. The actual physics of how a turn is initiated, not so much.