wrecked my car 3/12/14 - replacement options?

redkow97

left work at 3:00 yesterday to avoid traffic in the snow storm.

90 West curves slightly (to avoid putting you in Lake Erie), and there is a pretty tall concrete barrier between the Eastbound and Westbound lanes.  Between that wall, and the blowing snow, I did not see the pileup ahead of me until it was already too late.

I had been leaving a ton of room for the car in front of me, explicitly because the visibility was so bad.  That doesn't really matter when he crashes into a 6 car pileup, and you catch up to him 10 seconds later...  Anyway, I hit that guy, and two people plowed into the back of me.  We were only doing 30-40mph, but momentum is momentum, and braking was virtually useless.

My airbag deployed, although I don't think my face hit it.  I had 2-3 seconds of sliding toward the car in front of me, saying "shit. SHIT! SHIIIIT!" so I was able to brace myself for the impact a bit.  My first reaction was to reach for my phone (which had flown into the passenger foot-well), but I managed to take a second and think "hey idiot, put your head firmly against the head-rest, because odds are the people behind you can't see shit either."  I don't know exactly how long it was before the first car hit me, but I had time to put on my hazards and think, "man, I really hope they see those and stop without hitting me."  Nope.  A civic wedged itself under my bumper, and opened my trunk the hard way.  Then a Dodge Ram destroyed the rear end of the Civic.

So with all that said - now I need to figure out what to buy to replace my Altima, and which route is the smartest to go.  It's not a simple situation... I am anticipating $6,000-$8,000 for my car (2005 Altima 2.5 S with 86k miles).  That is what it's "worth," but not enough to replace it with anything comparable...

I NEED:

- 4 doors

- decent fuel economy (30 highway would be nice)

- AC

I WANT:

- AWD

- alloy wheels

- a decent interior

Then the question becomes "new, or used?"  We just paid off my wife's car, and I was really looking forward to life without a car payment. Her 2007 Tucson V6 is also my tow vehicle (the trailer only holds 1100 lbs, so 2k towing capacity is all I need).

So weigh in below - Do I:

1)  replace the Nissan with something cheap and shitty, and just suck it up driving 400 miles a week in a car I tolerate, but don't love? (I.e. buy used for $7-10k)

2) replace the Nissan with something new, and put the insurance check as a down payment on a $20-$24k vehicle (the new price for Imprezas, Fortes, etc. - and then, which one?  I am looking at any small car with 4 doors that can fit a car seat in the back when I take the wife's vehicle for race days)

3) Take my wife's Tucson to the dealer along with my insurance check and say, "we're looking to buy 2 new cars - what kind of deal can you make us?"

4)  Take my wife's Tucson and the check to the dealer and say, "she needs a new Sorento (a step up from the tuscon size-wise), and I need a shit-box 2005ish base model forte.  What kind of deal can you make us?"

Options 3 & 4 are only on the list because the Tucson literally just rolled 80,000 miles on the way into work today.  My wife has it in her head that she "needs" a new car once it hits 100k, or will be looking for an excuse to replace it anyway... 

thoughts?  What would you do?

You're about to be a lawyer, and filthy rich right? ;)  Definitely go with something classy, 5 Series, Jag, AMG, maybe a Porsche.  Obviously these are the correct answers, or a SCUBI, I mean who lives within their means anymore?  Status is everything, at all cost.

In reality think about reliability and safety in the long run assuming you're planning to keep making that commute, and have family in the car.  I had to make the tough decision to sell the beaters when the wife got preggers, and knowing the little one wasn't far behind I would never let either of them in a "sh*tbox" because if something happened to save a few bucks in fuel, I couldn't live with myself.  Plus my dog hated the beaters, which was really the reason I sold them, jk.

I know my friend did EXACTLY what you were saying in #3, turned out getting 2 brand new Honda Fits for like 25K combined or something INSANE, and he had 2 POS beaters to trade in, 1 of which was not running and had no chance of ever running again until a new engine was put in.  He dealt with a big Honda dealer in Cbus, walked in and said here it is, make it happen.  They made the deal and walked out with 2 brand new cars.  I would personally try that route, if it doesn't work I would try hard to get something from that dealer since they already have you there, tell them to at least make that happen.

If your income is on the verge of becoming higher.  You could find nice relatively inexpensive 2 year lease, then upgrade to something you really want next.

I have dismissed leasing as an option, because I commute 400 miles a week.  Perhaps I need to reevaluate that.

As for my "fat attorney salary" John alluded to, the average starting salary for attorneys in Ohio is $45k/year.  I am (and will be) in that range for the next 3 years at least.  The job  I have is fulfilling, and provides a TON of experience, but it is not lucrative.

You drive the Tuscon and get her a new car.  It may not be the fuel economy your looking for but you keep your tow vehicle.  The lady is happy and you keep at least one vehicle that's already payed for.

Thought about this, but her car gets 22-24 mpg (I was getting 26 in my Altima), and anything I get her will be the 'new' tow vehicle.  No reason to have two.

Then again, maybe I could get a 4-cylinder turbo Ford Edge for the wife and make the difference negligible...  hmmm.  I would still get shit mileage, but if her new car still does better than 26, it might not be so bad. 

I may explore this angle harder.

Right. Get a coupe or you'll not be allowed to park with the cool kids at lunch. I rather prefer a car with zero doors, honestly. That's how important it is.

I have a car with zero doors, it's a blast...

and I'm planning another.

Edited by magley64

Cars, unlike motorcycles and AR-15's, don't make your penis bigger. So just get a used car you like that isn't too expensive. Paying cash or near cash would be preferred. Then some day you will grow up to be just like me. Early 50's and don't owe anyone anything with substantial cash in the bank. Actually I was in this position in my late 40's.

• Upvote 2

I think I should have clarified in my original post - let's start with the question of "which option is best," and then once that's generally determined, move onto which vehicle(s) are the best way of fulfilling that choice.

Tonik's point is quite well taken.  I don't like debt, and I have more than enough of it from school and my mortgage.  Adding a car loan is not appealing.  That said, a good deal on "new" vehicles could sway me if I feel it's a worth while expense.

I do not need "status" in my vehicle.  I would like to be driving an M3 as much as any of us, but the Altima got the job done.  I wouldn't have picked it out either, but I paid $5k for it...  I think it's still worth closer to $8k, even after putting 50k miles on it.

2014 Dodge 3500 MegaCab Long Bed. 4x4 Cummins. 2" lift 35s

Track day truck all day long. Baller status too

This guy gets it.  Easily adds 2-4 inches, ask me how i know.  I had to race bikes, have a huge truck, just to get the girl.  Well, okay maybe not, but everyone needs 2-4 more inches.

Or wait, are you trying to be adult and civilized?  F that, can't help you there.

For me it would be a good reliable used vehicle. A basic used sedan like an Accord or Camary should get good mpg, be easy to find on the used market and be reasonable price to repair/maintain. 

Put off car payments for a few more years and use that time to build up a fund to pay for one instead. 

Who cares what you drive to work. Commuting on I-90 is not going to be fun no matter what the vehicle. Stick with a model with smaller rims and tires will cost less. With snow tires you will be better off than you would be with all seasons and AWD. 

Craig

found a 2005 Accord 4-door with a 5 speed manual for under $8k.

Pretty sure I can get it for under $7k, given that there probably isn't much of a market for accords with a manual transmission. If I can get that free and clear, then my only obstacle is getting my wife to the point that she's proficient driving a manual trans...

She did okay when I taught her 5 or 6 years ago, but I can't be in the car with her while she practices.  It will drive me nuts.

I would take the check and get a loan for the 

balance on a used vehicle I would be happy

with.  It would probably be an Impreza with 

the things you mentioned, plus a sun roof

and auto transmission.

The wife can drive what she has for another

40,000 miles.  Wives are never satisfied.  If

they are not bitching about one thing, they

are bitching about another.  When her vehicle

hits 120k, you may have your loan paid off

and can eliminate one thing for her to be

unhappy about by trading in her vehicle.

Good luck.

Something to consider is that used cars have been priced pretty high these past few years due to a number of factors ranging from the lack of new sales for a few years and down economy.

Interest rates on new cars can be 4% or many time as low as 0-2%.

Combine that with the vast fuel efficiency gains (damn asshole government) you could be better off buying a new Civic, Elentra, etc. Plus a warranty, less hassle, generally more reliable, more features like Bluetooth, etc can make the ownership experience much nicer.

Hyundai leases cars for 18K/year if you ask. That's almost enough right there. For your needs.

I ended up buying the Sonata after 3 year 18K/year lease. You may consider the Sonata as well. Tows up to 2K easily of you get the base with manual tranny.

Ah, that was you? I passed that accident on Wednesday afternoon, they let us out early because there were so many reports of pileups. Hope you're OK.

AWD and good gas mileage are kinda mutually exclusive, but for AWD I'd go Subaru Legacy. They still get made with manual transmissions (if that's important for you) and look a little classier than your average Impreza.

Edited by Ryan_c_F

Ah, that was you? I passed that accident on Wednesday afternoon, they let us out early because there were so many reports of pileups. Hope you're OK.

AWD and good gas mileage are kinda mutually exclusive, but for AWD I'd go Subaru Legacy. They still get made with manual transmissions (if that's important for you) and look a little classier than your average Impreza.

my buddy claims he routinely gets 25+ out of his WRX, but he's custom tuned it for premium.