Two days at Mid-Ohio

lowcel

Tires are 80% mental and the rest is in your head.  I have run times faster than a lot of Novice times at Mid-Ohio on Q2s with a big bore twin (RC8R).  I think :36s...

The fact is simple.  Race tires will tend to hold up better to race pace.  Think about this.  Race tires if not heated take a very long time to come to temp.  Street tires are designed to come to temp fast and will get greasy at higher temps.  Tires like the Q3 is a street/track compound.  These tend to give somewhat best of both worlds.

Here is my thought on tires.  Can you race on street tires?  Yes!  Can you get to where you want to be on street tires?  No.  I couldn't run the pace I was running for even just 6 laps on street tires.  No way.  I also believe that OSU who won all of his Novice races on his R1 could not do it on street tires.  The heat and abuse that you put into a tire at race pace and for the sustained amount of time will net poor results.  Race compounds are the way to go for RACING.  Track days are a different story. 

But another twist...  Don't buy Q3s for track days and run race DOTs when racing.  Why?  Setup.  You running street tires at the track days will be fine.  But the setup may be totally different when putting on race tires. 

If you have a geny and warmers, buy race tires if you want to be serious with racing.  Your times are not where they would be for race tires yet.  So, we need to tow you down to :40 and lower to warrant race tires. 

Hope that makes sense.  You can run almost anything and find examples of people that do well on whatever you feel is correct.  I've seen plenty of guys with bikes over 10k miles and never changed the oil.  Does that mean it is the best thing to do?  You decide...

Brian wanna help me break into the 30s. Best I do is 40.3 and an average in the low 41s

We can do it, man.  It's probably at that stage, braking points, drive points and line choices...  It's only a couple of seconds, but I think I know where you probably are losing them.

I looked at my GPS today and saw 1+ seconds a lap.  I know I could have obtained my targeted lap time, but just didn't get it done...  The points are where I bet you are able to gain also...

• Upvote 1

Tires are 80% mental and the rest is in your head. I have run times faster than a lot of Novice times at Mid-Ohio on Q2s with a big bore twin (RC8R). I think :36s...

The fact is simple. Race tires will tend to hold up better to race pace. Think about this. Race tires if not heated take a very long time to come to temp. Street tires are designed to come to temp fast and will get greasy at higher temps. Tires like the Q3 is a street/track compound. These tend to give somewhat best of both worlds.

Here is my thought on tires. Can you race on street tires? Yes! Can you get to where you want to be on street tires? No. I couldn't run the pace I was running for even just 6 laps on street tires. No way. I also believe that OSU who won all of his Novice races on his R1 could not do it on street tires. The heat and abuse that you put into a tire at race pace and for the sustained amount of time will net poor results. Race compounds are the way to go for RACING. Track days are a different story.

But another twist... Don't buy Q3s for track days and run race DOTs when racing. Why? Setup. You running street tires at the track days will be fine. But the setup may be totally different when putting on race tires.

If you have a geny and warmers, buy race tires if you want to be serious with racing. Your times are not where they would be for race tires yet. So, we need to tow you down to :40 and lower to warrant race tires.

Hope that makes sense. You can run almost anything and find examples of people that do well on whatever you feel is correct. I've seen plenty of guys with bikes over 10k miles and never changed the oil. Does that mean it is the best thing to do? You decide...

Makes perfect sense. Thank you. I will wait until I wear out my current set and the new pair I have waiting before switching.

We can do it, man.  It's probably at that stage, braking points, drive points and line choices...  It's only a couple of seconds, but I think I know where you probably are losing them.

I looked at my GPS today and saw 1+ seconds a lap.  I know I could have obtained my targeted lap time, but just didn't get it done...  The points are where I bet you are able to gain also...

this i believe... i know im braking to early into 1 and 7 for sure, line choice through the Keyhole and Carosel are well iffy at best...  i never feel 100%through them..  

well im signed up for monday.. if ya have a few laps in a session i would love a quick tow..

Brian.. I need help to drop 3 sec off my best..

Best I could do is a :43 with my FZR400 with shagged rear! lol

I do plan on getting new R6 front end on it ASAP... I'm getting chatter in 1, 3, 5 and into the carousel when pushing it during the races this past weekend.

But, you are correct... I need to work on the keyhole and the carousel a bit more.. I know I'm leaving time on the track in those areas.

7029CC62-F88C-4665-9E1C-062A457935A5_zps

Brian- that tire was holding you back also. Greasy isn't fast...

As for chatter, I developed it badly on Tuesday. The track was really grippy both days and we added 2 more psi and it helped a ton. Still there, but not as much. Just too much grip on the front. I'd say get on the gas sooner in 1. Shouldn't be loading on the side there. Same with 5.

I was getting it in 3 as you are on the side loading the front ever so slightly and managing throttle. Also in 10b where you enter the crest of Thunder before throttle pick up. Carousel also at turn in. I eliminated carousel with air and reduced in 3 and 10b. But they stayed there the whole time.

Yeah, if I had to race again, I would of added a little more psi to the front.. I was already at 29 off the warmers front and 26 rear.. But u can only push the crappy fzr forks so far.. It's time for an upgrade!!!

Yeah, if I had to race again, I would of added a little more psi to the front.. I was already at 29 off the warmers front and 26 rear.. But u can only push the crappy fzr forks so far.. It's time for an upgrade!!!

True. Chatter can be almost anything. You gotta get to Mid-O and do more track days. I know you have seconds we can find. We all do.

What? What happened?

Blown head gasket and smoked the clutch again!

Going to see if I can get someone local that knows what the hell they are doing to get some more Hp out of her.. It's killing me on the straights..

I'm working on my front end to upgrade it this winter