Which tank bag do you rock, and why?

Helmutt

I've been surfing them for a bit now, just have yet to nail down a decision. Wasn't sure which way would prove best, magnetic or strap down. My fuel tank is a steel back half and a plastic airbox cover on the front half. Something I definitely NEED is a gps window to keep the Garmin out of the elements. Want to keep below $100 total cost and I don't need anything too big, but it needs to hold more than a wallet -- which is why I haven't pursued the Manta style tank bags. They just look too small for my needs.

So, what do you guys dig on and why?

Edited by Hellmutt

I have rocked the Triumph ones but that's beside the point. On the triple it was a strap on. What I didn't like about it was the straps catching air an beating on my leg. It was like getting flipped with a towel. Didn't hurt but started to sting after about 100 little flips. The sprint has a cover over the whole tank and the bag is just in the way. So I rock the map bag only. But I can operate my phone through the map bag which is kinda nice.

Motorcycle super store throws up a daily sale on tank bags fairly often and they are relatively cheap too. I would keep an eye out for that.

Or buy a sena head set for you and Jenn and stuff gps anywhere and let it talk to you while rocking out.

https://m.denniskirk.com/tour-master/strap-mount-elite-tri-bag-tank-bag.p5000149.prd/5000149.sku

I have have an older Nelson-Rigg expandable strap mount. Has served me well. If I was in the market I would like to have I look at this one. Pretty cool features. Also any bag will scratch the paint if crap gets between the two. I have used this stuff on several bikes. The present 12 years old and the tank bag goes on every ride. No scratches. I have used this stuff for the tank bag and soft luggage to protect the paint. Make patterns and cut to size. Clean the surface and stick it on. When your done pull it off and stick it back on the backing paper to use again. I get about 3 uses before I toss it. I see this is a 75' roll. What I got there was smaller. Any residue left a after removal comes right off with some spray wax. There will be very little if any. http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Con-Tact-Clear-Covering-Multipurpose-Shelf-Liner-18-x-75-Roll-Clear-Gloss/20895773

Make sure it says removable or else you will proly pull the paint off. Just like a garage--get one bigger than you think you need. You'll fill it.

Thanks fellas, I appreciate the feedback so far...

too many tank scratches ill never use another one again

I hear ya, I may drop a piece of fleece between the bag and tank. I wont leave it as a permanent fixture, just a temp tour option to throw on for longer trips

A small-ish Nelson Rigg magnetic. Love the thing and got it for $20 a few years ago

These seem a good and cheap choice to try, there are a few NR models that have tempted me

Givi SV204

Givi is definitely the high quality end of the spectrum, but a bit pricey at $150 for a first timer.

I have rocked the Triumph ones but that's beside the point. On the triple it was a strap on. What I didn't like about it was the straps catching air an beating on my leg. It was like getting flipped with a towel. Didn't hurt but started to sting after about 100 little flips. The sprint has a cover over the whole tank and the bag is just in the way. So I rock the map bag only. But I can operate my phone through the map bag which is kinda nice.

Motorcycle super store throws up a daily sale on tank bags fairly often and they are relatively cheap too. I would keep an eye out for that.

Or buy a sena head set for you and Jenn and stuff gps anywhere and let it talk to you while rocking out.

There's a deal right now at MotorcycleSuperStore for a $30 Cycle Case brand GPS/map pocketed, magnetic or strapped versions I've been considering today. May just buy it to try at that price.

Rapid transit was what I used before the tail box. Magnetic, worked well, was inexpensive.

Seen these too, similar to the NelsonRiggs/Cortech setups. Just not sure about magnetic bags working with the front half of my tank being a plastic airbox cover. Might just go strap-on? :dunno:

https://m.denniskirk.com/tour-master/strap-mount-elite-tri-bag-tank-bag.p5000149.prd/5000149.sku

I have have an older Nelson-Rigg expandable strap mount. Has served me well. If I was in the market I would like to have I look at this one. Pretty cool features. Also any bag will scratch the paint if crap gets between the two. I have used this stuff on several bikes. The present 12 years old and the tank bag goes on every ride. No scratches. I have used this stuff for the tank bag and soft luggage to protect the paint. Make patterns and cut to size. Clean the surface and stick it on. When your done pull it off and stick it back on the backing paper to use again. I get about 3 uses before I toss it. I see this is a 75' roll. What I got there was smaller. Any residue left a after removal comes right off with some spray wax. There will be very little if any. http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Con-Tact-Clear-Covering-Multipurpose-Shelf-Liner-18-x-75-Roll-Clear-Gloss/20895773

Make sure it says removable or else you will proly pull the paint off. Just like a garage--get one bigger than you think you need. You'll fill it.

Although I do see the need and quality of this, I cannot justify a $180 tankbag to start out with. I should've mentioned in my first post that I'd like to keep my first to a sub $100 pricetag since it will see little use ( in fact, I'll edit that ). I appreciate the adhesive tank protective insight though, that's handy info that I'll surely bookmark. And I completely agree with the garage comparison, but I just dont need a triple decker tankbag. I want something semi-sleek that still allows me to tuck some, as well as allow me to position inside of my bike on deeper turns without the bag being in the way of my outside arm. A few items and weather protection for my GPS is my MO, so a shorter bag will be all I invest in to begin with.

I have a magnetic tank bag your welcome to have. I cant use it and got it from my brother for free. if you like it keep it. If you dont pass it on.

Sweet deal AJ, I'll shoot you a text here shortly Edited by Hellmutt

Look at Motocentric they have good gear an a good price an a bomb ass warranty. Lifetime warranty. They offer magnetic an straps for tank bags. I use a tank bag 19 on my CBR an it's awesome has a huge GPS/MAP window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rapid transit recon. It's a nice big bag and you can fit a gps in the map pocket. Also has cellphone pocket with window. I am able to cram in my lunch for work, spare gloves, tablet pc, a few cans of pop, the back pack straps and the liner for my jacket with some room to spare. It turns into a not very gay looking back pack with the straps and has integrated rain cover. I've had it up to 130 (on a long straight deserted stretch of divided highway) and the wind didn't budge it. The side "wings" magnet to the back of the bag and the bottom or rear magnetic protrusion folds into its own little pocket. Has good reflective piping and also organizers for keys, change etc. I think it was around $70.

I hear ya, I may drop a piece of fleece between the bag and tank. I wont leave it as a permanent fixture, just a temp tour option to throw on for longer trips

those strong magnets just pick up stuff way too easily and you have to watch were you lay it. yea maybe i got a little careless but i'd rather not take that chance again, plus the connie has a shit ton of storage to begin with

Look at Motocentric they have good gear an a good price an a bomb ass warranty. Lifetime warranty. They offer magnetic an straps for tank bags. I use a tank bag 19 on my CBR an it's awesome has a huge GPS/MAP window. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanx man, not seen these yet but they look to be damn nice for the $$ and the lifetime warranty is enticing.

Rapid transit recon. It's a nice big bag and you can fit a gps in the map pocket. Also has cellphone pocket with window. I am able to cram in my lunch for work, spare gloves, tablet pc, a few cans of pop, the back pack straps and the liner for my jacket with some room to spare. It turns into a not very gay looking back pack with the straps and has integrated rain cover. I've had it up to 130 (on a long straight deserted stretch of divided highway) and the wind didn't budge it. The side "wings" magnet to the back of the bag and the bottom or rear magnetic protrusion folds into its own little pocket. Has good reflective piping and also organizers for keys, change etc. I think it was around $70.

This is a nice bag for the money too, buy my primary objective is a GPS pouch/window. My Nuvi is older so its a bit chubby for a cell pocket. Same bag Magz mentioned, I do like the Recon series.

those strong magnets just pick up stuff way too easily and you have to watch were you lay it. yea maybe i got a little careless but i'd rather not take that chance again, plus the connie has a shit ton of storage to begin with

This is what makes me consider AlzHeimers cheap tank protector idea, or strap-on versions along with the protectant.

You all are giving me a good handful of options here. Anyone have any feedback on the JoeRocket Hammerhead? Its basically a MantaXL equipped with a GPS window and is in my desired price range. I guess I should just pull the trigger on what I think would fit best, which is about half a dozen of the posts above :D

I think I spent like $80 on mine at Iron Pony. That price might be higher now. But it's a good tank bag an I've for saddle bags from them as well. He'll I think all my luggage will be from them once I'm done buying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian, I'm guessing you have more tank metal than my 650 Strom.  That's the thing that makes it a tougher pick for me - metal only down the center, and I'm not really a fan of straps.

I've got about 60k all-weather miles on this bag and no complaints. It sits on a 3m paint protection film kit cut for my tank and I really like the combination. I haven't peeled the film off since I put it on, but I doubt there is any damage, it's pretty tough stuff...not that my bike is a show bike anyway.

Brian, I'm guessing you have more tank metal than my 650 Strom.  That's the thing that makes it a tougher pick for me - metal only down the center, and I'm not really a fan of straps.

You can take a look at mine this weekend, and see if it might work for you.

• Upvote 1

Anyone ever heard of Autokicker from the UK?  Looks like good equip and I like the swept design with a sunshaded GPS pocket up front

http://www.autokicker.com/products/motorcycle-luggage/tank-bags/wanderlust-gps-travel-tank-bag.html'>http://www.autokicker.com/products/motorcycle-luggage/tank-bags/wanderlust-gps-travel-tank-bag.html

I have a plastic tank on the triumph. I use a held strap down model it is old but has handled ten years of use so far. When i had my cbr i used a luggage locker bag it didnt touch the tank it mounted to a ring on the gas cap. Still have it but wont fit the triumps bolt pattern.

http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/gallery/image/12756-2012-07-28-09-48-41-482/

Edited by speedytriple

I have a magnetic tank bag your welcome to have. I cant use it and got it from my brother for free. if you like it keep it. If you dont pass it on.

Thanx AJ, I appreciate the gift and I'll definitely make this work. At least for a while. Cant beat the price either.