N2 trackdays at BeaveRun PIRC 5/24 - 5/25

F4iguy

2 things I would like to point out. 1. Always signal when slowing or exiting the track regardless the reason. 2. CRs should always pay attention and choose easy passing places. With a vest on you are always held to a higher standard.

Unless it's someone else on Scott's bike, I know the CR who was involved in that incident pretty well, so forgive me if this question comes across as mildly defensive, but what would have been anything but easy about that pass had the rider stayed on the throttle as expected?

Passing in that kink is sketchy to begin with so unless he was already beside him coming out of 10 he should have waited.

well that's where we're going to disagree.  I won't debate the issue further.

I confirmed it was Scott btw.  Someone else said he had some broken ribs and a punctured lung.  Healthy enough to post on the N2 board this morning at 7:30 though.

Hey gang!

I was working with the 3 riders behind me for three or four laps. When coming down T7, I saw the bike and rider down just off the edge of track. I was checking ALL the flag stations thinking there could be a red flag because the rider (Nikki) and bike were still in an impact zone. No flag at kink, no flag after kink, no flag on left enterance to T10, and I didn't see anything when trying to see T10-T11 station before staying on gas/race line. I was in front of the 3 riders to show them best line in T10 carousel. We caught the slower rider and I wasn't going to pass him on the inside of T10 (you can see my bike stand up a bit as i slowed). I then got back hard on the gas to show the guys the exit line onto front straight. The rider in front saw the flag, rolled off significantly, and was moving left into my line. I had a split second to brake while swerving right to avoid him. I failed, and the crash occurred. BTW, just after the crash, I was in the ambulance telling the medics and Todd that I thought the rider (Jarvis) had a mechanical because he just got out of his tuck and slowed dramatically while rolling left. I wish their was a camera on my bike and helmet to show my view.

well that's where we're going to disagree.  I won't debate the issue further.

I confirmed it was Scott btw.  Someone else said he had some broken ribs and a punctured lung.  Healthy enough to post on the N2 board this morning at 7:30 though.

That's fine but just remember this was I group not A and he has a vest so he shouldn't be out there stuffing people and he should be following the I group rules that N2 has in place assuming they are the same as nesba.

so did the ride down outside t7 just go down? because it almost looks like they are still sliding as they come into frame.

I'd put money on the rider in front hesitating because the saw the other rider down and didn't see a flag...or saw a flag at the last second.  Think we have all done it...

The hesitation trapped the CR and he already had closing speed.

I'm very jealous...should have went.

By the looks of it I need to get on the throttle sooner coming out of one and carry more speed into 4. Also stay on the throttle from 5-6-7

Looking good man....use brakes more and engine braking less, it will end the rear wheel hop you are getting in the braking zones of t1 and the carousel....you will also slow down a lot quicker and get more life out of you sprockets/chain :)

Nice video. Traffic was pretty heavy but still fun. That was pretty early in the day right?

Yup, that was second or third session.

I'm very jealous...should have went.

Looking good man....use brakes more and engine braking less, it will end the rear wheel hop you are getting in the braking zones of t1 and the carousel....you will also slow down a lot quicker and get more life out of you sprockets/chain :)

Thanks, will keep that in mind. This was the first time I felt like I was actually braking relatively hard.

You should be on the gas hard out of 2 all the way to 4, it sounds like you are just kind of opening the throttle. Also, you kept missing the apex of 7 by quite a bit.

One thing that helped me was you should never coast, it's either on the breaks or on the gas and you should strive to hit full throttle as much as possible. 

For 2-4 if I am in 2nd gear I would hit the limiter if I really got on it, if I stay in 3rd I dont have enough power to really pull out of turn one. I tried messing around with different things but will hopefully figure it out next time.

As for 7 I never could find a good mark for turn in. Then one of the CRs told me that I was staying to tight coming out of 7 and that I should carry more speed and go wide out of 7. So that is another spot I know I need to improve. I will try to hug the inside but carry more speed and let the bike drift out next time.

For my 09 ZX6R I use 3rd from Turn 1 to Turn 5 (2nd gear) and back down to 2nd at the carousel.  I was finding rev limiter before getting to turn 3 in 2nd gear.  I gave up some drive out of Turn 4 but made my life a lot easier with less shifting while leaned over.

Wow, didn't realize my shifting was so much different than everyone else...I'm -1+2.  I got pretty comfortable with the following:

I'm in 6th front and back straight, down 3 into t1 and carousel. Shifting up to 4th between 6 and 7 then 5th and short shift into 6th down the hill.  Felt like I got a lot better drive out of the kink already being in 6th. 

What gearing were you running? Plus I know you were running quicker than I was by quite a bit. I think with the 1 down front, stock rear I will be able to run 2nd with no problems.

I was running 1:01s and 1:02s during the only fully dry race we had at PIRC the first time MotoSeries went there last year.   We all know what happened to me the 2nd Round at PIRC last year.  I was running -1/+2 or -1/+1 can't remember. 

I know I was 3rd into Turn 1.  Down to 2nd into Turn 5.  Short shift to 3rd turning into Turn 7.  6th on the back straight.  Back to 2nd into the carousel.  6th on the front straight.

IMHO, using 2nd gear in turn 1 will prevent any 600 from ever carrying enough corner speed through that section of the track.  It would take ridiculous gearing for that to not be the case.   If you're bogging in 3rd gear as you flip the bike over for turn 2 and get on the gas, it's not that you're in too high of a gear, it's because you're slowing down more than necessary for the 1-2 transition.

I never went much quicker than 1:05 at BeaveRun, but I definitely had a "light bulb" day where I finally convinced myself to brake later for turn 1, and get on the gas harder after the apex of turn 2.  Then you're on your kneed through turn 3, accelerating as long as you dare before braking for turn 4. 

Guys who were faster than me would drop into 2nd gear for T4 (as nk140 demonstrates in the post above mine).  I felt like that unsettled the rear of the bike more than I was comfortable with, and usually used 3rd gear instead.

I think one of the gearing issues at PIRC is that it's hard to find a good compromise for T10 that allows decent entry speed, but also gets good drive out.  Another rider who was much faster than me (1:01 range) was trying 3rd and 2nd on his R6, and felt like using 2nd killed his entry speed.

Might have to try 2nd for the carousel...dipping down below 8k in 3rd there.  Hopefully help me stay a little tighter mid turn.

Last 3 laps of the 40 minute last year....spectator showed me 5 minutes to go and I started to push, think the last one is my personal best at PIRC.   Really need to work on consistancy through 7. 

http://youtu.be/3oBPWHB_fAA?t=37m33s

I never get out of 5th on either of the straights, was just ready to shift when I would let out. I used 2nd gear for the carousel, and went back and forth between 3rd and 2nd for 2-4. The reason I like 2 is because it gives you alot better drive on that little short straight between 4 and 5, but then you need to be shifted back to third to go down the hill off of 7 again. I would like to try to stay in 3rd coming off the front, stay in that gear until right before turn 4 and downshift to 2nd but I fear that would upset the bike since you arent really straight up and down there. 

I will work on trying to carry more speed through turn 1-4 regardless. I had a crash on turn one late last year, that might have still been in my head im not sure.

I found that 2nd through 4 into 5 and 6 with a quick upshit into 3rd before heading down hill through 7 made a difference for me.  I watch a video of another douche that used to race but quit because his panties shrunk in the wash and got too tight or something ( STEVE COX ) where I notice he was grabbing a shift in between 6 and 7.  Tried it out and it makes 7 not quite so crazy and fearful of a lowside under hard throttle.

There's my $.02.  :D