N2 trackdays at BeaveRun PIRC 5/24 - 5/25

F4iguy

i think i would stay in 2 if i pussied out for T1, and stay in 3rd if i manned up for T1. possibly down shift to 2 (assuming i needed to) for T4 so i could get more accel for T5, shift to 3 before the blind down hill right (whatever that one is), pass most of you gaylords around the outside or inside, upshift to 4 going into left kink, shift to 5, 6, going into right kink, and all the way down to 2nd gear for carousel, have people pack up behind me cause i braked too much/too early, and then drive out early, losing you again after i fart and giggle.

don't know how you guys take 2-3 in second unless your running stock gearing. Last year I was hitting 13k in 3rd through T3 when pushing...anytime I've screwed up and been in 2nd for T1 I top out and have to shift before the apex of T3.  T2-T4 is probably my favorite portion of the track though.

I don't ever recall my 600's being near 100mph in second gear, but if that is what the gauges indicate, it is still a lie while the bike is leaned over.

The speedometer is more and more inaccurate the further the bike leans. The diameter of your tire at full lean is smaller than when the bike is upright. Your speedometer is then telling you that you're traveling the distance of the outer-most dimensions of the tire, rather than the portion actually in contact with the ground at lean.

It's not a spedo reading, that's all from kawasaki. Hell in a straight line 1st did 85 when I actually ran the spedo. Regardless I never enter 1 on the limiter or even close in 3rd and 2nd is plenty of room left to tip it in. It was good enough to run 3's and with the new sprockets I will actually have more room for speed in 2nd gear.

And do you seriously think that I don't know that the RPMs go up as you lean over therefore loosing max top speed?

Edited by blue03636

don't think anyone cares about indicated speed....Craig was just giving an example of the stupid tall gearing on his bike.  Tire diameter and the delta that occurs when upright and leaned over also doesnt matter....only thing that matters is going through the turn and not banging off the limiter well before roll off and braking for 4.

Sure it's relevant, if I can do 100 in second gear and t1 isn't a 100mph corner then the point you made about it not being possible to run that section in second unless you drastically change the gearing is off. Hell stock gearing I had to use first in 13 at Nelsons. That's why I stated that I use second but gearing will depend if others can. 

Sure it's relevant, if I can do 100 in second gear and t1 isn't a 100mph corner then the point you made about it not being possible to run that section in second unless you drastically change the gearing is off. Hell stock gearing I had to use first in 13 at Nelsons. That's why I stated that I use second but gearing will depend if others can. 

The portion I bolded is where I think our opinions are diverging.  I don't think it's a good idea to assign a speed to a corner, because what a new rider thinks of as a "60 mph corner" might really be a 100+ mph corner for a rider with more skill.  I can only speak for myself, but I felt as though that thinking slowed my progress over the years. 

I believe that's why we're butting heads on this.  There isn't one answer that will suit everyone.  As the last page or so of posts have demonstrated, many of us are achieving similar lap times using very different gears throughout the track.  We're also (almost) all on different bikes.  Your bike is geared far differently than mine was.  I know people on R6's who used to run 2nd gear in places I (felt I) had to run 3rd.  I also didn't like the feeling of being at super high RPM in 2nd when 3rd was only marginally slower.  For me, it came down to using the gear I was comfortable with.  That was how I turned my best times. 

That may not be the "best" way in the long-run, and I probably need to increase my comfort level using the lower gear - but that's for me to do in practice.  In a race environment, I would revert to what I know is fastest for me at that time. 

I think posting speeds distorts the point. Unless he's on the same make/model bike with Identical gearing, what your bike is capable of isn't relevant to the question he asked.

The only compairson I made was saying that my bike(with current gearing and me riding) will top out in second gear before the apex of t3 and that I was surprised others were going into 1 in second....you said that a 600 cannot keep pace if they go into t1 in second.  I was specific, you made a general statement about all 600's, all riders and all gearing.

Speeds are irrelevant to me, don't have it displayed and have no motivation to install a pickup so it would be.

Edited by RHill

The only compairson I made was saying that my bike(with current gearing and me riding) will top out in second gear before the apex of t3 and that I was surprised others were going into 1 in second....you said that a 600 cannot keep pace if they go into t1 in second.  I was specific, you made a general statement about all 600's, all riders and all gearing.

That's a totally valid observation.  My post was phrased poorly.  I should not have made such a general statement.

...but if we're going to split hairs, isn't craig's bike a 636?  ;-)

don't know how you guys take 2-3 in second unless your running stock gearing. Last year I was hitting 13k in 3rd through T3 when pushing...anytime I've screwed up and been in 2nd for T1 I top out and have to shift before the apex of T3.  T2-T4 is probably my favorite portion of the track though.

i'm running stock gearing cause fuck you that's why