Trx700xx Blows Up!

M_Quick

• 3 weeks later...

Needing a battery for the Honda. Iron pony advised to go lithium for 130 over a gel type for $80. Question will the lithium batteries still be able to be charged regularly with a trickle charger? And are they truly worth the extra money?

to late, first I called ASK Grove City since there a Honda dealer. They advised me they had no battery at this time for my quad, wtf??? So I called the pony store , like mentioned above. After seeing the weight difference I went with the lithium. They said like a 3rd of the weight, but I tell you it's nowhere near that. This thing feels like what empty cardboard box this size would weigh. Specs say's 1.5 lbs, idt so. But have nothing to weigh it with. Dude at the Pony store said a battery tender is fine, and that's what they recommend, but idk? Instructions say : DO NOT Use a de-sulfation ( high voltage pulse) type charger. : DO NOT use a charger that does not have a automatic shut off feature.

I bought it, so I will research and find out for sure. Cause dude also told me it was about 70 more CCA than my stock. So knowing my stock was 130 cca, I replied 200 cca? He then said 190, confirmed mine was 130. And later I read on the box 180 CCA. I hope that 50 more CCA will be plenty of boost to kick the beast with the new engine mods, it's like 38.5% more CCA.

ave3aqyg.jpg

Edited by M_Quick

Picked quad up, needed jumped started. Ran strong, sounded sweet. Trailer'd over to my Uncle's, looked it over again. Reajusted the chain, installed new battery. Took a couple hour ride, restarted quad 4-5 times no problem. Sunday am I didn't think it was going to start. Cranked slow like out of time, but after 6 cranks it fired. We went on a long ride and 50% of the starts it fired right up. But the other half, it would crank slow then push past what I'm guessing is the compression stroke and then fire w/in 2secs.

My cousin thinks once I get it tuned it will be cool. At this point idk but I think I wasted the $130 on thd new battery.

Double check valve clearances?

thx, but I don't think that's it. Cause if you hooked jumper cables up to the old oem battery it would fire right up. I don't know a lot about the PC5 but the cousin says it will control the timing and all? I have experienced hard start before, like it would crank all day fast and then start with a touch of gas when valves were out of spec. This is like it's all it can do to turn over then it fires, after a second or 2 slow crank. The oem battery would only start it if just pulled off a charger. I think I needed more CCA, something like this maybe. I wonder if Iron pony would take it back???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ballistic-Battery-EV02-12V-LI-ION-ATV-Honda-08-09-700-TRX700XX-21130259-/321444364999?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ad793c2c7&vxp=mtr

Ah OK, didn't realize the old battery was cranking it fine... That's odd.. I'd maybe ask ip to warranty the battery? See if maybe it's just not up to spec? I had a couple issues with optima batteries being defective and they're marketed as high end too so it can happen to any battery

Plus the valves being out it would be a hard start every time till valves adjusted, not just 1st start in the am then every other one during the day. I plan on readjusting the valves and oil change anyways, either before next ride or before the dyno shop. The HotCam help line recommended to break in for 8-10 hrs then check valves. The paper work with the cam said to not run below 3k for 1st hour, and not to let sit and idle for any length of time, I ran it pretty good, but never above 65,,,

Ah OK, didn't realize the old battery was cranking it fine... That's odd.. I'd maybe ask ip to warranty the battery? See if maybe it's just not up to spec? I had a couple issues with optima batteries being defective and they're marketed as high end too so it can happen to any battery

no no we were jumping the oem battery with a car battery before replacing.. Not jumping the new with the original...Old battery would only crank it once if just pulled from a charger...but hook cables to the car and it would fire 1st lick. if left for any time the off a charger the oem battery wouldnt do much. So I bought the 180 cca.

Edited by M_Quick

Arent the Optima batteries the ones that get stronger after a couple cranks on a cold battery or something like that?

IDK about that, the one I got is a lithium. I wish i would of held off on buying it, but didn't want to go after my quad that's been in the rebuild state for 2 months w/out a battery. I would of got  one of those 275 cca  ballistic batteries. 

Little polishing and those will be good as new

lol, fix it right up with my harbor freight dremel.

• 2 weeks later...

Striking out on the dyno shop at this point. Guy said after mid July it would be his slow time. After a few days of no-one answering the phone, I drove by today to find shop closed. No sign on door or anything.

Edited by M_Quick

Call Extreme Tech, they are a little bit of a drive but Jeff LOVES Honda's and thats all he has ever raced. Great tuner with a Dyno and an all around good guy that knows his stuff. Oh and he is pretty reasonable on pricing.

Call Extreme Tech, they are a little bit of a drive but Jeff LOVES Honda's and thats all he has ever raced. Great tuner with a Dyno and an all around good guy that knows his stuff. Oh and he is pretty reasonable on pricing.

Is that the place in Mount Gilead???

Called him today, they advertise $75.00 per hour for full dyno tune. Maps, print out. And said most likely 1 1/2 hr. Down side, no Saturday appointments, they close early, and the week of 8/25 through memorial day he's not available. Also he said atleast a week out on scheduling. So damn that puts me to needing to take a day off work to get it tuned. I'm thinking about just buying the auto tune from power commander.

Edited by M_Quick

The power commander i have on the Raptor 700 is pretty cool. I have 3 maps loaded in mine right now and i can hook the lap top up and adjust to any map i want within seconds. I have not played with this feature yet but you can customize your map too by adjusting fuel, air etc. all on the lap top.