In or Out - Off or On

Tonik

Insert title here.  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you park in gear or out of gear?

2. 2. Do you start your bike while on or while off the bike>

I always get off the bike when fueling looks like everyone in the picture stays on?

Most people stay on when there is a large group. Keeps it moving. I did Knoxville to Cleveland once never getting off the bike with a crazy Canadian. We fueled like that, no food....one pee. 6.5 hours

Edited by Tonik

Always get off unless you want to take the chance of overflowing into your lap

Or you could just pay attention while filling up. I usually fill up while sitting on the bike, saves me from having to use the center stand to fill up the tank fully.

Or you could just pay attention while filling up. I usually fill up while sitting on the bike, saves me from having to use the center stand to fill up the tank fully.

That's like saying if you paying attention while riding you won't wreck. Mistakes happen, mitigate the impact by planning ahead.

• Upvote 3

Interesting article, but still fucking baffles me that people overfill their tanks to that degree that often.... Are you guys just putting the nozzle in and turning on the pump and setting the latch and forgetting about it? I seriously don't understand... I always look down into my tank while filling it so I can see when it's full, and I run the nozzle half flow so the gas comes out slower and doesn't splash little drops all over my paint... I can't think of any possible situation that would cause an overflow

• Upvote 1

I've never encountered a pump nozzle that didn't stop itself as soon as the level of gas met the tip of the nozzle. When I fuel up I stick it all the way in and set the latch. It pumps till it stops itself, I then have to top up the remaining half gallon slowly while keeping an eye on the level and keeping the tip above the fuel.

Well that sucks for you. If I don't have my tank bag on I generally don't get off the bike to refuel. Don't see the point. I can swipe my card, fill up and go safely while on the bike. Unfortunately I have my tank bag on the bike almost all the time.

I have come across nozzles that do not auto-shut off several times although it's been a number of years since I've seen one and both times it was when I was fueling my car. I don't wait for the auto-shutoff when fueling the bike, I moderate the lever myself as needed.

• Upvote 2

That's like saying if you paying attention while riding you won't wreck. Mistakes happen, mitigate the impact by planning ahead.

Right, but in order to fill up my tank, I'd have to get off, kick it up on the center stand, walk around the bike, fill it up, take it off the center stand... Yada Yada Yada. OR, pull up, swipe the card, pop the tank, fill it up, ride away.

I've never encountered a pump nozzle that didn't stop itself

as soon as the level of gas met the tip of the nozzle.

Don't trust them sum bitches, Sam.  I worked at

many gas stations in my early years.  I've seen

them things not shut off and bathe the ground in

gas.  I hold the nozzle the whole time. 

Flip the nozzle over and look at the little hole under

the tip of it.  If it stops getting air into it, it is

supposed to shut off.  If it's winter time and gas

will not pump, blow into the hole.  It probably has

ice in it.

It's also a fire hazard to fuel the bike while sitting

on it, in case you spill fuel on a hot engine, start

a fire, jump off, bike falls over because the kickstand

is still up, fuel flows out of the tank, and fire spreads.

Spraying a fire extinguisher at your burning crotch

may be a little tricky, as well.

Edited by JackFlash

Right, but in order to fill up my tank, I'd have to get off, kick it up on the center stand, walk around the bike, fill it up, take it off the center stand... Yada Yada Yada.

You're right, that's a lot more effort and must take what, an extra 10 seconds? :stirpot::dudecomeon:

Don't trust them sum bitches, Sam. I worked at

many gas stations in my early years. I've seen

them things not shut off and bathe the ground in

gas. I hold the nozzle the whole time.

Flip the nozzle over and look at the little hole under

the tip of it. If it stops getting air into it, it is

supposed to shut off. If it's winter time and gas

will not pump, blow into the hole. It probably has

ice in it.

It's also a fire hazard to fuel the bike while sitting

on it, in case you spill fuel on a hot engine, start

a fire, jump off, bike falls over because the kickstand

is still up, fuel flows out of the tank, and fire spreads.

Spraying a fire extinguisher at your burning crotch

may be a little tricky, as well.

I'm literally staring at the tip of the fuel nozzle the whole time as it's filling up.

You're right, that's a lot more effort and must take what, an extra 10 seconds? :stirpot::dudecomeon:

LoL, no, at least an extra minute or 2, but I don't see a reason to go through all the effort, I've been doing it this way for years.