Please talk me out of a Ninja 250!

Josh1234

All this "I need torque so I can leave the bike in 6th gear at 35mph."

Couldn't a 600 just as easily be left in 2nd up to 60?

Or they could buy a maxi scooter and not have to shift at all.

Sure, if you don't care about noise, vibration or fuel economy...

I understand it's not ideal. But neither is lugging around in 6th gear at 40 mph.

In city riding, I generally shift at around 15 mph, 25, 35, and on up the line. I'll stay in 2nd gear in residential zones to keep my speed down, and bump up to 3rd in business zones to keep the engine a little cooler.

I don't mind it one bit. And my bike probably has torque comparable to most 600's, but weighs more.

I understand it's not ideal. But neither is lugging around in 6th gear at 40 mph.

In city riding, I generally shift at around 15 mph, 25, 35, and on up the line. I'll stay in 2nd gear in residential zones to keep my speed down, and bump up to 3rd in business zones to keep the engine a little cooler.

I don't mind it one bit. And my bike probably has torque comparable to most 600's, but weighs more.

3rd gear on my b12 pulls good from 20 to 120. I generally keep it in 3rd in slow-ish traffic or 2nd if it's really slow. 4th for cruising surface streets, 5th for freeway. No 6th gear...zook decided it didn't need another gear...mainly because in stock trim it can't pull 5th to redline.

Lol I still have power in 6th at 35... It's not lugging around.. It's conserving gas and keeping noise to a minimum... 6th at 35mph and mybike still pulls harder than an average car on the road... Nobody is talking shit about your 600, it's just preference... I prefer liter bikes for the riding I like, and idgaf if you prefer to rag a 600 to death leaving it in second at 60mph (see what I did there? No reading comprehension.. Figured you would understand)

Well this thread got funny :)

You sure it was sold? The ad was reposted on Craigslist this afternoon around 4pm.

Um, no.... I just filled out the inquiry form on their website, and I got an e-mail yesyerday morning... 

Dale Fickes <dale@jandjcycle.com>
9:35 AM (23 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif

Thanks for the email but that bike has been sold,

Dale

And that's it :(

My current deal I'm working on in an '03 ninja 500 in supposedly mint condition for under $1500.  He might be able to deliver it on Thursday, so I'm hoping someone closer to him doesn't show up with the $$ in hand.  If that falls through, there's a ZZR 600 on Pittsburgh Craigslist I'll look at... and I still have another ninja 500 on the hook, but he wants 2K.  

to get almost somewhat back on topic, would there be any interest in a group of us buying cheap first-generation 250's to race against each other?

I like racing.  I don't like spending money.  Racing a (pretty much) stock 250 would be about as cheap as you can get on a big track.  the first gen's 16" wheels mean that tire choices are limited, but the lack of super-sticky compounds and low power means that a set lasts you all season, and there is no need to run warmers.

I think it would be great fun for 5-10 of us to look into having our own (informal) "first gen stock 250" class within the existing MotoSeries 250 class.  The only modifications allowed would be:  stainless brake lines, upgraded SPRINGS on/in shocks and forks, and items that make the bike more crash-worthy (i.e. case guards, shorty levers, etc.).  You'd have to run the full stock exhaust.  If you want to remove passenger pegs, etc., that's fine.  Anything that can be done for $0 (i.e. removing stuff) would be allowed.  The idea is to not out-spend your way to a race win.

Bikes that show up to the track in street-legal trim would be gridded 40' ahead of bikes in "race" trim, if Todd will allow it :p  Then Josh, or anyone else with a baby ninja can show up and play too.

Sounds like cheap fun.

Finding a bunch of first gens with stock exhaust may prove difficult

you think so?   I haven't seen many 250's with aftermarket pipes.  I have no major objection to allowing the 2008+ 250's and the 300 in the same class, but the idea was to have the first generation 250 with 16" wheels not be completely out-classed.  I guess if people want to waste money on a pipe, they're welcome to do that.  I wouldn't though.

Something like this would be my race bike.  http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/4509764575.html

They're asking $850.  I would throw $600 cash, or walk.

Edited by redkow97