Please talk me out of a Ninja 250!

Josh1234

I'd crash that on purpose to make it look better.

hahahaha - I'm guessing you clicked on the third picture with the pink stripe and the star outlines?  

I'd keep the stars ...at least until I crashed the bike and destroyed the bodywork.  Then just throw a belly pan on it, and some number plates, and rock on.

• 2 weeks later...

That 2001 EX500 w/ 7800 miles is a pretty good deal.  I paid about that much for my 1997 EX500 when I bought it in 2005 or 2006.  Mileage was also comparable. 

This time of year, I would have expected someone to be asking more like $2300 for a beginner-friendly bike in that kind of condition.

That 2001 EX500 w/ 7800 miles is a pretty good deal.  I paid about that much for my 1997 EX500 when I bought it in 2005 or 2006.  Mileage was also comparable. 

This time of year, I would have expected someone to be asking more like $2300 for a beginner-friendly bike in that kind of condition.

I paid $1,450 for my 2003 Ninja 500 in near-mint condition.  Just under 9,000 miles :)  It's not the nice blue color I would've first-picked, but it's a nice neutral dark blue/gray.  All in all, I'm pretty happy with it...

• Upvote 1

you think so?   I haven't seen many 250's with aftermarket pipes.  I have no major objection to allowing the 2008+ 250's and the 300 in the same class, but the idea was to have the first generation 250 with 16" wheels not be completely out-classed.  I guess if people want to waste money on a pipe, they're welcome to do that.  I wouldn't though.

Something like this would be my race bike.  http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/4509764575.html

They're asking $850.  I would throw $600 cash, or walk.

The older gen Ninja's have 2 cans so aftermarket pipes get expensive, and its a cheap bike. I don't see many with aftermarket cans either. Even the newer gen doesn't usually have aftermarket cans at the same rate as the bigger bikes. Not much point in performance mods for such a cheap low power bike.

Craig  

I will say this about the 250s-- hopping on them and just going doesn't require crossing the same mental barrier that larger bikes require. There is something about the 600s, etc, that just demand a little more of your mental resouces, a little bit of niggling anxiety is always tucked away somewhere in your brain stem.

I can just grip and rip the 250, errands, commutes, whatever. It's friendly transportation. Going somewhere on the 600 is more of an event.

If your riding tends toward utilitarian uses in a city, hard to beat that 250.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

That's why I love my 650. Getting on the vfr was an event. Took more mental preparedness. From swing a leg over to walking it out of the garage. For long rides it was beyond fun. Short jauntys on the freeway excellent. But for commuting and errends... Uhg it became a chore.

I feel like any bike is a bit of a chore. 

Doing safety checks and gearing up for a commute is a pain in the ass...  I just do it because the ride is worth it.  If I get the XR100 street-legal, maybe I'll feel differently about the process, but gearing up still takes time, and 50mph is plenty fast enough to rip up some skin.

I feel like any bike is a bit of a chore. 

Doing safety checks and gearing up for a commute is a pain in the ass...  I just do it because the ride is worth it.  If I get the XR100 street-legal, maybe I'll feel differently about the process, but gearing up still takes time, and 50mph is plenty fast enough to rip up some skin.

Good on you for wearing gear every time.  You CAN reduce the chore of it though.  I wear a helmet, riding jacket and gloves whenever I ride to work, just like today.  I keep those items on or very near the bike and my top case unlocked so that all I have to do is go to the garage, pop my computer into the top case, lock it, slip on the helmet, jacket and gloves, push into the driveway and start the bike, shut the garage and go.  Then at work, I remove my laptop, put the helmet and gloves in the top box, lock it up and walk into work.  Takes maybe 2 more minutes each direction than my car, at most.

Do either of you have to wear a suit and tie daily?   It's a bit more planning for me, because I have to do a full wardrobe change and leave a lot of stuff at work on the days prior to riding in.

I currently have 2 suits and a slack/jacket combo hanging in  my office.  I'm wearing my last white shirt.  On top of that, I have a softball game at 6:00, so I have shorts, shoes, my glove, a hat, and my softball jersey packed as well.

I'm loving my commute on a bike.  Far more exciting than driving to work :D  We have a nice bathroom at work though where I can change and everything... A couple of guys ride pedal bikes to work, and there's a shower and everything.  I just throw a pair of shorts & flipflops into a bookbag and off I go. Then when I get to work, change from riding pants into shorts, and I only needed socks for the boots, so I can swap right over to flippies.  

Do either of you have to wear a suit and tie daily?   It's a bit more planning for me, because I have to do a full wardrobe change and leave a lot of stuff at work on the days prior to riding in.

I currently have 2 suits and a slack/jacket combo hanging in  my office.  I'm wearing my last white shirt.  On top of that, I have a softball game at 6:00, so I have shorts, shoes, my glove, a hat, and my softball jersey packed as well.

No, I'm just business casual and only ride 7 miles to work, so I have it easy.  I could easily do the full clothes change, but don't need to.

That said, I shouldn't wear only khakis on my legs, but I do.  I'm thinking about getting a full-body zip-on riding onesey like the one my MSF ARC instructor had.  It featured a full-leg zipper on one side and a full-body zipper on the other to make it super easy to get in and out of.

I'm loving my commute on a bike.  Far more exciting than driving to work :D  We have a nice bathroom at work though where I can change and everything... A couple of guys ride pedal bikes to work, and there's a shower and everything.  I just throw a pair of shorts & flipflops into a bookbag and off I go. Then when I get to work, change from riding pants into shorts, and I only needed socks for the boots, so I can swap right over to flippies.  

That's funny - your work attire is far more casual than your riding get-up!

45 miles to work but nah its a construction company so jeans and a golf shirt is my daily wear. I'm very glad that I chose a profession where suits aren't need daily

I'm at 40 miles, almost on the nose.  But I don't mind the suit under most circumstances.  If I'm being honest, it's sort of like gearing up to ride - straightening my tie and putting on my jacket get me in the mindset to do serious work. 

I have the good fortune to really enjoy the vast majority of my job.  Walking into an important trial is a feeling almost in the same ballpark as gridding up for a race.  Almost.

• Upvote 1

I'm thinking about getting a full-body zip-on riding onesey like the one my MSF ARC instructor had.  It featured a full-leg zipper on one side and a full-body zipper on the other to make it super easy to get in and out of.

FWIW, this is what I'm strongly considering - http://www.compacc.com/p/olympia-odyssey-one-piece-suit-2013

Do either of you have to wear a suit and tie daily? It's a bit more planning for me, because I have to do a full wardrobe change and leave a lot of stuff at work on the days prior to riding in.

I currently have 2 suits and a slack/jacket combo hanging in my office. I'm wearing my last white shirt. On top of that, I have a softball game at 6:00, so I have shorts, shoes, my glove, a hat, and my softball jersey packed as well.

I just leave a couple suit jackets and dress shoes permanently at work. Shirt and tie under my leather jacket in the morning. I've learned to wear mostly white shirts in the summer because they don't show sweat as easily.

Have been wearing riding pants, but realize I should...

Do either of you have to wear a suit and tie daily? It's a bit more planning for me, because I have to do a full wardrobe change and leave a lot of stuff at work on the days prior to riding in.

I currently have 2 suits and a slack/jacket combo hanging in my office. I'm wearing my last white shirt. On top of that, I have a softball game at 6:00, so I have shorts, shoes, my glove, a hat, and my softball jersey packed as well.

Hard cases now, but I had some saddle bags on the sport bike. I'd bring shoes and sport coat/suit coat in one bag and a ziplock with a wet washcloth and another with a dry towel in the other. When I landed at the office, I'd change shoes, throw in the jacket, wet my hair, dry my hair, brush my hair, put on my lipst......, and head in. No one really would know that I rode.

Now I go from airport to airport hoping for my plane to crash.