Mid Ohio 6-22 (twilight) and 6-23

F4iguy

For the record, I have attended...the first time was somewhat overwhelming, more so of not knowing what to expect, and the place was packed full of fast as hell riders, which I was aware of as soon as I arrived, from past experience with said riders.

I am not fast at all, but I can run faster when I choose to...as mentioned by others, I am old, and I have no interest in going down, I also have no desire to become a "Racer"...

I hold my line, and have no fear of an inside, or outside pass, anywhere, anytime... that is a part of being on a track in my opinion, and when I run less than full out (most of the time)...what is there to bitch about?

When someone makes a near miss pass on me, "shit that was close", in my helmet, and sure, I might exaggerate that story with some friends after the fact, but if no paint was shared, WTF, who cares?!?!

Oh well, carry on, if you don't get it, you never will...and yes aforrest4 "makes sense", I will humor you, sense you feel the need to be right, with no regard to others...I mentioned nothing of Novice, or inexperienced Intermediate riders attending... you quoted me, maybe you should have read it, rather than reading into it.

Sarcasm warning: Thank you for the much needed advice...here I will say it for you, "what a dick"!

Twilights are more geared to Intermediate riders with experienced than Advanced riders.  As mention by OSU, we have plenty of slower than 1:45 in Advanced.  But, they are smooth, capable and predictable.  That's what we need.  I cannot be passing a guy that is making three apexes out of the Keyhole for example...  That would constitute a potential move down.

Also consider this.  You may be slower and EVEN A LITTLE IN CONSISTENT.  But, if a coach sees this and instead of blasting you and yelling at you, but takes you out and works with you and you get consistent, guess what?  You were ready and just needed a little help.

Bottom line is this.  If you feel you may be on the edge in YOUR MIND, come anyways.  Then, make it a point to get with a coach and we will help you out.  Simple.  You aren't going to learn anything all alone and on your own.  Yes, we all start somewhere.  But it is the people along the way that help that make us better or not. 

COME UP TO THE TWILIGHT!!!

Well said Brian.

Yes come.

The coaching crew at Mid-O is one of the best out there.

If you know you want help improving, just put a blue X on the back of your helmet.

That will signal to the coaches that you are looking for some help improving your lines.

Or grab one before and after you head out.

They are always happy to help.

Hopefully it will be me! :)

I love helping someone improve their skills.

Seeing the perma-grin on their face, makes it all worth while. 

For the record, I have attended...the first time was somewhat overwhelming, more so of not knowing what to expect, and the place was packed full of fast as hell riders, which I was aware of as soon as I arrived, from past experience with said riders.

I am not fast at all, but I can run faster when I choose to...as mentioned by others, I am old, and I have no interest in going down, I also have no desire to become a "Racer"...

I hold my line, and have no fear of an inside, or outside pass, anywhere, anytime... that is a part of being on a track in my opinion, and when I run less than full out (most of the time)...what is there to bitch about?

When someone makes a near miss pass on me, "shit that was close", in my helmet, and sure, I might exaggerate that story with some friends after the fact, but if no paint was shared, WTF, who cares?!?!

Oh well, carry on, if you don't get it, you never will...and yes aforrest4 "makes sense", I will humor you, sense you feel the need to be right, with no regard to others...I mentioned nothing of Novice, or inexperienced Intermediate riders attending... you quoted me, maybe you should have read it, rather than reading into it.

Sarcasm warning: Thank you for the much needed advice...here I will say it for you, "what a dick"!

Not sure why there is a need for name calling here and especially after Aforrest4's comments that you are responding to.  Novice riders and beginning Intermediate riders are not ready for passing as structured by the rules in a Twilight.  They tend to get spooked, tend to not hold lines very well and tend to be very unpredictible.  it doesn't mean they suck, doesn't mean they aren't good riders.  This is a generalized statement.  Therefore, the safety aspect is what is being considered and why you need at least 3 Intermediate events under your belt.

Are there guys with one event that are more than ready?  Sure!  Are there some with 5 events that still are not ready?  Certainly.  Heck, there are some Advanced riders that aren't ready.  The point is there has to be some sort of metrics that we measure by and these cover those.  If you feel you will be fine, feel you can fall into the idea of being very predictible, consisitant, and comfortable, then come out.  Just understand that you may get some coach to pull you aside and want to work with you to improve.  If that happens, they see something that may potentially be a risk or something they can help you with to be a better rider.  And that is what trackdays are intended to be for.  It is simply to become better riders and increase one's ability.

No need to call names, no need to slander coaches.  Aforrest4's comments have been nothing short of PC than anyone else's.  And, he has been accurate in his accounts and comments.  Please respect him for providing assistance and for being out there to help others.  That's what it is all about.

Brian, thanks for taking the time to type out a detailed explaination.

Unrelated question, is Mid-O going to continue with the intermediate classroom stuff that was discussed earlier this year?

My schedule changed, so I'll be keeping an eye on weather for Sunday!

Rusty, that's how easily wording when typing/texting gets all messed-up and a big misunderstanding happens..........that's why I like to be quick and to the point!!!! with that being said I have only seen you try and help others at track.........some take a little sarcasm wrong, If I've got a question and your there, you'll be the first one I ask for advice

Brian,

Please read again, I called no one a name, and generally I will not.. the "what a dick" comment was at myself, and again, I mentioned nothing of Novice and beginning Intermediate Riders attending, ever?

I share the same thoughts that others have mentioned, while attending a track day, or a twilight event, at Mid-Ohio.  Everyone has always been very helpful, professional, and organized...nothing but a great time for me!

On this Forum though, this is not the first time, that I have read anyway, this type of behavior displayed from people trying to push their own views/agenda for the twilight events at Mid-Ohio, outside of the rules ,and regulations, set forth, by the Staff and Management of Mid-Ohio.  This may not have been their intention, but the manner in which it was presented, seemed all too familiar...

Trust me when I say this, I have promoted Mid-Ohio"s staff, workers, control riders, coaches, etc. etc., to as many people, and as often as I can...this is the reason why I get somewhat upset over discussions like this...

This, in my opinion, does not help Mid-Ohio, nor does it help what many, including myself, feel is a declining sport...with that said, Mid-Ohio seems to still have good numbers, and I would like to see that continue.

A final thought, I fully understand what a Twilight event at Mid-Ohio is, and I also understand what some choose to use it for...not my call, but I chose to give an opinion... explaining that to someone who does that often, seems very odd! :confused:

i'm pretty excited for another day on Sunday! It looks like I may not be riding as my forks have yet to be fixed.... that's another story...  However I will still be attending even if I have to just help with the intermediate classroom and go watch some areas on the track, like Brian does sometimes.  Ofcourse if anyone has a bike they would like to be taken out for a "shake down" i'm always game to help :ghostrider::hello:

I heard if you go see Brian he has "free candy" in his garage or under his canopy.  Just a rumor I heard though. 

Oh, and I really miss these, they were awesome being open track.  Were able to get a ton of laps and I felt like really work on things with the bike and yourself.  Just don't overdo the included dinner or you may end up in a food nap.

Edited by madcat6183

Link.

Hope to see you at the track.

Feel free to seek me out when you are there.

I have a black and silver CBR, yellow plate #4.

Always like to make new friends to ride with. 

We have some great roller coaster roads just south of Cincinnati too. :)

Link- I apologize for not catching the sarcasm and not directed towards Andy. Please understand that we all go out of our way to help. I hope we can meet and enjoy this sport together.

Rhill - the plan is for an intermediate classroom For sure this time! Come on over! This is for anyone novice to advanced.

Brian,

We have been around each other several times, I don't think that we have actually met though?

I hope to get to Mid-Ohio soon, time, and finances, are somewhat of an issue for me right now...Family first!

If Ryan shows up Sunday, I might "pit bitch" for him...I doubt that I ride.

Edited by LINK

Link.

Hope to see you at the track.

Feel free to seek me out when you are there.

I have a black and silver CBR, yellow plate #4.

Always like to make new friends to ride with. 

We have some great roller coaster roads just south of Cincinnati too. :)

I was just down there a few weeks back at the Thompson House.

I like to ride the roads S/SE of Lexington, street, and some off road adventure touring ...Roads just South of Cincinnati are good too, and much closer.

I hope I can get some track time soon.

I am sure you have passed me several times...as a matter of fact, I believe you might have been the instructor giving a rider from the Cincinnati area (forgot his name, terrible at that) a tow on a 675R,  he was moving up from Novice to Intermediate last year?

He was parked beside us, and we had several conversations throughout the day, a good guy, and a good rider.

30% chance of rain for the 23rd... this shit needs to go! I gotta test out my new GPS lap timer!

Seems like 30% in Ohio might as well be 100%. I'm keeping an eye on the weather. This will probably be a last minute decision for me. I can't afford two rain outs in a row. Edited by lowcel

My weather channel keeps telling me 30% for the 23rd = HugePissOff !!! I'm going to go if it changes for the better !

If the weather turns good, I'm going to be on a "new to me" 07 gsxr 600. I've got to do a little work on it over the weekend (brakes,brake lines, frame sliders,swing arm spools). So here's the "how did I forget that" part...,...I've got a new brembo rcs19 to put on the bike, which is awesome !!!...,...all except the part that I forgot to get the reservoir kit for it = not going to fly ! So one of you guys wouldn't by chance have one to sell would you ?!?!?!?!?!!!?

Another question...I know Mid Ohio sells Pirelli tires. Do they pretty much have a full selection ? If not, am I better off getting the bike in to iron pony for a pair of diablo corsa ????

Any help is appreciated. Now just to pray for SUNSHINE on Monday !