Good bike for two up that's not a cruiser?

Tpoppa

What are some ideas for a good two up bike?  I'm trying to get the GF back into going on rides, so passenger comfort is high on the list.

Two up spirited rides are probably not on the menu.  I don't  think we'll be spending more than 2 hour on the bike.  Something lightweight that she could ride solo once in a while would be a bonus.   I just can't bend my mind around buying a cruiser or cruiser gear.  

I am not crazy about the CTX700, but it does meet most of my criteria...what are some better ideas?

CTX700_2014_03.jpg

Edited by Tpoppa

you can put a back-rest on almost anything these days.  That alone seems to make passengers feel more secure.  Maybe not comfortable, but less un-comfortable(?)

I think you're going to have a hard time finding something that's small enough for a newer rider to handle solo, AND will haul two people well though...  I know you said no cruisers, but a 650 savage might be a good cheap option.  Is that motor in any other Suzuki chassis?  It would basically be a Suzuki "Blast" at that point...

Edited by redkow97

you can put a back-rest on almost anything these days.  That alone seems to make passengers feel more secure.  Maybe not comfortable, but less un-comfortable(?)

I think you're going to have a hard time finding something that's small enough for a newer rider to handle solo, AND will haul two people well though... 

This is pretty much where I'm at.  I could always find something like a V Star 650 or one of the smaller Honda Shadows.  I would imagine they could handle highway speeds two up.  She won't want to go fast anyway.  Not sure I want to open my garage to see a cruiser sitting in there every day :(   Also, I can't stand the look of chrome, and refuse to spend time cleaning or polishing it.

Bandit is comfy 2 up....or pretty much any ujm. Nighthawk, seca, kz, gs....any Jap i4 from the 70's or 80's.

the katana/bandit seats are wide as a football field...  I almost suggested that, but it's heavy for a new rider, and the I-4 isn't an ideal torque curve for a designated 2-up machine.  That said, the 750 has the largest motor I've ever owned, and it feels like a stump-puller compared to the EX500 or the 600RR...  Nothing like the Yamaha Raider I rode at a demo event, but I am in the habit of not using 1st gear on the XR, and I have started from a stop in 2nd more times than I'd like to admit on Tubby the Tuna.  It does just fine.

the katana/bandit seats are wide as a football field... I almost suggested that, but it's heavy for a new rider, and the I-4 isn't an ideal torque curve for a designated 2-up machine. That said, the 750 has the largest motor I've ever owned, and it feels like a stump-puller compared to the EX500 or the 600RR... Nothing like the Yamaha Raider I rode at a demo event, but I am in the habit of not using 1st gear on the XR, and I have started from a stop in 2nd more times than I'd like to admit on Tubby the Tuna. It does just fine.

Power curve on an old school i4 is just fine. Maxim 650 comes to mind...it's a gentleman's bike, nothing at all like the modern i4, but like 60 some odd hp. Enough to have fun on but not enough to get you in trouble...and they have wide seats, low pegs and high bars. I see em on cl for around $1500 all the time.

Used vfr with a Givi trunk?

perfect for some fun 2-up time, but that's a lot of power for a new riders.  I think sportbike riders in particular lose track of how fast a VFR-class bike actually is.  My physical therapist for my elbow was telling me that her husband upgraded from an SV to a VFR and damn near killed himself.  I am sure that wasn't the bike's fault, but she's not wrong about it being a bigger step than most people seem to recognize.

Vstrom and Versys are decent lightweight 2up bikes. But are probably a little tall for most newbie women to ride solo. 

Seems something like a Ninja 650 or CB500F/R is a reasonable compromise. 

An NT700v is probably more comfortable for passenger but maybe hard to find.

Craig

I've been riding 2 up on my sv650 for years without issue. I have Givi saddle bags to. Highway, twisties, even a little off road. We've rode up to 12 hours in a day without too much fuss.

Someone mentioned Bandits, and I can say it'll suck 2 up. I had one for a couple years and 2up was no fun. It's one long seat and she'll slide forward all the time smashing your nuts up against the tank. Preventing that will put yours and her weight into your arms which makes riding quite difficult too. Lots of helmet kisses as well.

Not to thread-jack much....but whats the word on FJR's? I've been looking at Sport-Tour styles for the Gf and I also. Seat/comfort, suggested upgrades etc?

FJR has no soul in my opinion, the concours 14 is where it's at. I'm sure the fjr's are great bikes it just didn't to anything for me. I actually test rode the fjr first and it almost turned me off to sport touring, but then I rode the connie and never looked back.

90's Nighthawk 750? Honda 599? (Both of those with some kind of windscreen.) FZ6?

Maybe an old Z750S if you can find one. (someone on here use to have one?)

Edited by DAC

90's Nighthawk 750? Honda 599? (Both of those with some kind of windscreen.) FZ6?

Maybe an old Z750S if you can find one. (someone on here use to have one?)

I actually used to have a Z750S.  She is 5' 2" and wasn't interested in trying to ride that one.

An FZ6 might be an option, and it has FI.   

• Upvote 1