LOL so my Dad wants a shotgun

speedytriple

SO my Dad calls me today and asks if I have an extra shotgun he could buy off me. I said I did not I am running low on shotguns actually. SO he asks for my help to find him a cheap shotgun to keep around the house. What do you guys think of the maverick 88 model? He will never shoot this gun and it will most likely sit in his closet collecting dust. I figure he can get the 88 for under $200 and as little as he would use it that it should be fine for him. He wants a 20 ga due to a bad shoulder he has, for less recoil. I might look at the berea show this weekend for a 500 or 870 used to keep the price down or just buy a new maverick. Anyone have a used pump 20 ga they want to sell cheap?

Had a maverick 88 12 ga it was a decent shotty for the money. And all 500 accessories will work with it. I actually sold mine for exactly what I paid for it five years later.

Edited by 2talltim

i wonder if any of those police/state trooper trade in 870's are still around?  i picked one up from vances. pretty neat, decent shape, extended capacity tube and some other extra accessories for like $240 or something like that.

No he has been talking to my tinfoil hat cousin who told him he would never be able to stop a home invasion with the .38 he has since he never fires it. He has shot it one time since he bought it. He talked my Dad into thinking he would be better off with a shotgun. He's mostly right though my Dad was not hitting shit with his .38 and never wants to go shooting with me to get any better with it. I will see what is at the gunshow this weekend, or might just help him get a new model 88. 

this is like buying a bigger bike to be a faster rider :p

Whereas a trip to the track would increase speed, familiarity with his existing weapon would make him far more prepared to stop someone than a new gun will.

Or he's trying to track his Road King.....

For the price, a Maverick will do the job.

House Gun
I have and old Glenwood 10 gage goose gun cut down to 16.5 inches it has about a 10 foot pattern at 10 feet and kicks worse than a mule If its pointed in some what the right direction you cant miss  I might let go cheap to a good home.

What pump doesn't work?

Friend of mind took his BNIB Norinco out if the box.... First shot ever... Blew nearly every attached piece to the floor. Not violently like an explosion. It literally just disintegrated in his hands.

But yes, for what he's going to have it for.

House Gun

I have and old Glenwood 10 gage goose gun cut down to 16.5 inches it has about a 10 foot pattern at 10 feet and kicks worse than a mule If its pointed in some what the right direction you cant miss  I might let go cheap to a good home.

Be careful - the minimum length for a shotgun barrel is 18" unless the gun is registered with ATF as a "Short Barrelled Shotgun".

House Gun

I have and old Glenwood 10 gage goose gun cut down to 16.5 inches it has about a 10 foot pattern at 10 feet and kicks worse than a mule...

I had a buddy who wasn't the brightest bulb in the box, but a big guy, 6'6" 250ish, who espoused the theory that if a little is good, a lot is better; therefore, a metric shit-ton is the cat's meow!  He prolly wasn't the best guy to be a gun owner, but hey, it's 'Murica, baby.  He bought a double-barreled 10g through private sale, and being a rocket scientist, did several things an educated gun owner would NEVER do:  he took the gun out hunting without ever having fired it, he went to his duck blind alone in the late afternoon, and in the biggest-is-best mode, bought heavy-shot magnum loads for it.  At some point during the early evening, the flock started to set down on the lake and he jumped up, accidentally tripped BOTH TRIGGERS almost simultaneously.  The gun barrel jumped up, hitting him in the forehead and knocked him out cold.  He woke up (luckily) a few minutes later with blood running in his eyes, laying in his blind.  If he did actually hit the ducks, I presume they sank immediately.  He took the gun home and to my knowledge, never fired the thing again.  What's even more humorous is that I learned of this because he was telling the story on himself at work.  Like I said, 'Murica baby!!!

Edited by Bubba