Michael Brown shooting

Gump

Merchants lost goods in both cases. You are so wise...or...

The tea was destroyed on sight, to make a political statement. All in one specific incident.

Goods are being stolen in Ferguson, for personal gain. Across many different occasions. Is stealing alcohol and beauty products, from your own community, a productive way to express your distrust for an abusive police force?

It's not just the police force, that's just the heavy hand that lit the spark. Many of these people feel exploited by the whole system.

Merchants lost goods in both cases.  You are so wise...or...

The tea was destroyed on sight, to make a political statement.  All in one specific incident.

Goods are being stolen in Ferguson, for personal gain. Across many different occasions.  Is stealing alcohol and beauty products, from your own community, a productive way to express your distrust for an abusive police force?

It's not just the police force, that's just the heavy hand that lit the spark. Many of these people feel exploited by the whole system.

Look guys, you're both right - it's not a mutually exclusive thing, and if you can see both sides you'll grasp that this, like everything, is multidimensional.  Tigerpaw, the Tea was just a symbol of one of many taxes imposed by a government upon people who felt disconnected (even oppressed) from their government.  Had they not felt so disconnected, they would not have percolated to the point of needing to take some sort of action.  It could have just as easily been a clothing item (The (Ugly) Sweater Party) or other spices (what about the Pepper Pot, or the Corriander Consortium?).  You also need to remember that violence from the Brits against colonist was widespread and exacerbated the disconnect.  They may not have had armored APCs at the time, but they certainly outgunned and out-legislated the colonists, similar to the sense given in Ferguson by the local cops with little sensitivity to the optics of their response.

At the same time, magz, this isn't exactly the same as the tea incident.  Back then, that wasn't connected to widespread rioting - it was targeted, and it was politically organized.  I know of no political organization of the attacks against storefronts.  That was action perpetrated by a bunch of hoodlums, separate from the goals and actions of community members who are trying to take the legal route of civil protest.

At the same time, magz, this isn't exactly the same as the tea incident. Back then, that wasn't connected to widespread rioting - it was targeted, and it was politically organized. I know of no political organization of the attacks against storefronts. That was action perpetrated by a bunch of hoodlums, separate from the goals and actions of community members who are trying to take the legal route of civil protest.

I didn't say the conditions and execution were identical, I said the crime itself was identical. I also believe many of the motivations were the same, though not nearly as organized.

We as a nation got attacked on 9/11. The response was coming together with police and firefighters leading the way. People helped other people. They didn't start tearing shit up and stealing while calling it a protest.

But apparently the better response from the police and fire would have been to just start tearing stuff up. If everytime a policeman gets shot or a fireman dies in an arson fire they should start rioting and citing that the reason is because bad guys are mean and have too good of weapons.

Edited by cOoTeR

Does this mean the city of Ferguson is the new Tea Party?

The Boston tea party rebellion was about being forced to pay tea taxes to Britain against our will. We rebelled against a British government regulation that allowed it to happen, not the designated, financially struggling merchant of London that participated. The main factor was the British government attempting to sneak in the "right of taxation" of the colonies by an indirect method, using force against our will. (That whole right to representation thing.)

Modern governments avoid this by paying cash (bail out) directly to the merchants in need, which mostly only angers politicians.

Which leads to the concept of throwing money at the angry residents of Ferguson to make them go away. Oddly, this is also an acceptable alternative by modern governments.

edit: And in case anyone wonders, there is no such similar connection between the merchants of Ferguson and the government of Ferguson or Missouri or the USA. It is simply anarchy and looting for personal gain.

Edited by ReconRat

I'm not too sure about the source, it came across my FB after someone shared it. But here is an interesting article if true. Basically it says two black panthers with Muslim names got arrested for having pipe bombs or materials to make pipe bombs in Ferguson.

http://conservativetribune.com/black-panther-ferguson-arrest/

Another thing I thought about last night is had Brown been a soldier killed by an enemy or friendly fire we would have never heard about him no matter the circumstances. I doubt anyone outside his friends and family would care and nothing in Ferguson would be happening out of the ordinary. Same as if he were a policeman or firefighters killed in the line of duty. Or if he were a doctor teacher aid worker or other profession mostly viewed as honorable killed by gang violence. Or even if he was in a profession seen as dishonorable such as a thief or drug dealer killed by gang violence or by a cop of the same race. No one would take notice outside of a handful of people that knew him.

But since it was a black guy shot by a white cop it is socially acceptable to act and feel the way people do about this. Yet take no notice of the other scenarios mentioned above. I would be more sympathetic and understanding of the actions of the protesters and even the rioters of they felt and reacted the same way for other deaths. I didn't see anything like this happen after the Boston marathon bombing. The police used similar "military-like" equipment then also. Some people complained about it but there weren't any protests and riots because of it. No one acted out when Chris Kyle was murdered same with the troopers that were attacked in Pennsylvania. It wouldn't be considered acceptable behavior for these situations so why is it acceptable just because it was a black guy shot by a white cop? Why does our country get worked up over when this happens yet doesn't give a shit when a guy goes crazy and kills his family? There is a clear bias of the reactions to different situations of death. Apparently our country cares more about the death of a thug killed by a cop than the deaths of cops killed by thugs or the death of thugs killed by other thugs or the death of military members who get killed. If you want to have a meaningful death in this country apparently you should be a thug killed by a cop.

The people of Ferguson need to take a look around if they want to really know about government oppression. Look at Mexico they have 43 people missing or killed presumably by the Mexican government. Look at Syria and Iraq where isis is taking over as the government in areas and murdering people based on race and beliefs. That's true government oppression. If you think our government is too mean maybe you should go find another government to live under.

Edited by cOoTeR
  • Upvote 2

The people of Ferguson need to take a look around if they want to really know about government oppression. Look at Mexico they have 43 people missing or killed presumably by the Mexican government. Look at Syria and Iraq where isis is taking over as the government in areas and murdering people based on race and beliefs. That's true government oppression. If you think our government is too mean maybe you should go find another government to live under.

Wow, really? Other governments are worse so you have no right to complain about the injustices of this one? Is that really your position?

In that case, all the tea baggers can fuck off, right?

Wow, really? Other governments are worse so you have no right to complain about the injustices of this one? Is that really your position?

In that case, all the tea baggers can fuck off, right?

I don't see any injustice. I think any person would have acted the same in the officer's position.

This country does a lot for people weber you want to recognize it or not. We wouldn't have a lot of the modern luxuries we have today without or government. Our government does way more for people than it does to work against them. It's pretty hypocritical to enjoy the protection of our government and use of the infasturcture set up maintained and funded by the government then turn around and say all they do is oppress people.

While we're at it please give me some examples of less oppressive governments that are a better portion than ours.

Edited by cOoTeR
  • Upvote 1