Allegedly Going More Than 130 MPH

Strictly Street

CANTERBURY, N.H. (AP) – New Hampshire State Police have accused a motorcyclist of traveling over 130 mph in a 70 mph speed zone on Interstate 93.

State police aircraft clocked the speed at 134 mph in the southbound lane in Canterbury at about 11 a.m. Monday and saw that it traveled in the breakdown lane and cut between lanes of traffic, passing vehicles. At times, the aircraft tracked the vehicle doing between 150 and 180 mph.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/08/11/swansea-motorcyclist-arrested-in-nh-for-allegedly-going-more-than-130-mph/

180?!? WOW!

I went over 180 on a zx-11 back in the day.

Was a little surprised when I realized I may not have enough room to slow down before rear ending cars doing 75 in the same direction.

Ahhh. to be young and stupid again.

Now I just play at the track.

Not sure how fast now, but good guess would be 160 on some long straights.

Depending on what I'm riding at the time.

I wonder why they said 130 instead of 180 in the headline.  I feel like the 180 mph info is a bit more sensational to grab attention. 

- Nathan

I'm also surprised, but equally impressed with their journalistic integrity.  130 is likely verifiable as the average speed between two of the timing stripes on the highway.  the "150 to 180" were almost certainly pacing estimates from the aircraft, based on its own indicated air-speed.  I don't know a lot about aircraft, but my guess is something of the size likely to have been used can barely obtain 150 mph without a tail-wind, or a sustained dive.

I did 148 a couple of times back in the day on my gixxer and that was actual (Rev limiter 6th gear proven by dyno) bit that was my young and dumb days. And I took a super long straight stretch to get it up there. If hit about 120 on my Connie now it honestly starts scaring me a bit but she climbs up there quite rapidly, then afterwards I think you fucking idiot.

Edited by 2talltim

That doesn't even give a bird a chance to get out of your way.

Wanna hit a bird at that speed? Not me, brother.

Likewise doesn't give a bird time to get in your way. Stop aiming for birds... Edited by magley64
  • Upvote 1

I did 148 a couple of times back in the day on my gixxer and that was actual (Rev limiter 6th gear proven by dyno) bit that was my young and dumb days. And I took a super long straight stretch to get it up there. If hit about 120 on my Connie now it honestly starts scaring me a bit but she climbs up there quite rapidly, then afterwards I think you fucking idiot.

Dyno speed doesn't equate to real-world speed.  Wind resistance multiplies exponentially.  I'm not saying your speedometer couldn't have been dead-nuts accurate (although that's rare), but a dyno reading of top-speed doesn't mean much in my book.

Ben from OMRL hit 105 in 4th gear on the Harley dyno at Indy this past weekend...  Tell me it will do that on the highway.

Dyno speed doesn't equate to real-world speed.  Wind resistance multiplies exponentially.  I'm not saying your speedometer couldn't have been dead-nuts accurate (although that's rare), but a dyno reading of top-speed doesn't mean much in my book.

Ben from OMRL hit 105 in 4th gear on the Harley dyno at Indy this past weekend...  Tell me it will do that on the highway.T

The speedo would read about 160ish but i knew it was off, when i had it on the dyno the top speed of the bike was 148(147.6 to be exact) when it hit red line according to the drum. I never looked at the speedo going that fast but i hit red line in top gear a few times on the road with it. That was the point i was trying to make. So yes i had it that fast on the road a few times, but like i said i bet it took 3 miles full tuck to do it.

Edited by 2talltim

I've been ticketed almost that fast. No wreckless op, just a speeding ticket. TN Trooper was very cool. I saw him when I passed him, and by the time he pulled over behind me I was already off the bike with my helmet off.

Sometimes it pays to be respectful.

IMG_20130507_125148_540_zps08c702d8.jpg

IMG_20130507_125305_389_zpsa566c7e1.jpg

Edited by BadTrainDriver

When I was younger and dumber I hit 170ish (corrected with speedohealer) on my ZX14. I rarely go over 80ish on the street these days.

What was so scary about going that fast on that bike was how smooth it was.